Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
Storage suggestions?

Storage is pretty dear in my 19 footer. Does anyone have any great ideas when it comes to organizing space? Is there anything that fits well in the unused corner of the dinette? How about that long space under the rear bed? Is it allowed to use some of the space under the roadside dinette bench? Are there any good ways of organizing the overhead bins to hold dishes, etc? Where is a good place to mount a TV?
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog
Where is a good place to mount a TV?
Do you have a shelf over the fridge? You can attach a swivel extension mount to an LCD TV on the wall, and pivot the TV fore and aft, so you can view from the bed or dinette.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

I have found that storage and storage solutions are often personal preference and is largely dependent on what kind of stuff you carry with you when you travel! Fishing poles, etc. might fit under a bed in a long box or container. Kitchen stuff... I often look through the RV stores for ideas (or online) and often get ideas while surfing the Ikea website, but the best places are boating websites or West Marine Chandleries. Each year I repack the stuff in our Bambi and each year I take more stuff out I didn't use the year before. Try to make everything have more than one purpose. The one thing I suggest is not to put heavy dishes in the overhead compartments... they jiggle around and can create issues in the future.
Good luck.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Our unit is exactly like yours. Here's how we organize stuff:

1) Plastic bins in the under-the-bed space work well for extra linen or towels and things you don't need on a daily basis or you may need for rainy weather, etc. That's where we keep shoes, too...in front of the larger bins.
2) We use the shower for storage of softgoods like extra blankets, bath towels, etc or such...and things that are a little more bulky but can easily removed if you need to us the shower (nothing too heavy, though). We also hang our robes on hooks on the shower door bar.
3) For dry staples, etc., rectangular "SnapWare" plastic containers work well (better than most of the other plastic containers because their shapes maximizes space) ... they are sturdy, stack, and different sizes can be combined to fit into the curves fo the cabinets...and they fit in the frig nicely too...we use the cabinet over the stove for these.
4) We store lightweight dishes (like Correlle Ware) & paper plates in the street side cabinet over the dinette...
5) Nested light pans and glassware in the cabinet over the sink in cloth sleeves so they don't rattle and/or break.
6) We keep odds & ends and table-top stuff like napkin holders, napkins, & salt & pepper shakers in the curbside cabinet above the dinette. We put a jump shelf in that cabinet that fits over the CD changer and adds a second layer of storage...just avoid putting anything very heavy there.
7) Silverware and kitchen utensils in the top draw below the oven equipped with drawer organizers.
8) The bottom drawer is filled with tin foil, various sizes of zip lock bag boxes, waxed paper, etc...you can fit them in like a puzzle so nothing moves.
9) We use the oven for bread, etc...things that don't need to be refrigerated...just remember to take it all out before you light the oven!
10) We keep grill utensils and paper towels in the drawer under the curbside dinette seat.
11) The space between the curbside drawer under the dinette and the wall is great for a nice out-of-the-way space extra 12 pack of soda or beer, dog bowls, dog food, or whatever else that you need that fits the space nicely.
12) Cleaning supplies & more paper towels under the galley sink.
13) We found a rectangular step-to-open rectangular brushed stainless steel trash can that fits perfectly between the sink cabinet and the dinette. Behind there is room to store walking sticks, a collapsible broom, etc.
14) Toiletry supplies, extra toilet paper, etc., under the vanity sink...more storage in the medicine cabinets, too.
15) And of course, hanging clothes & jackets in the closet on hangers and folded clothes on the closet shelf with a bin at the bottom for socks & undies. Those hangers that have hooks to hang another hanger on them in stair-step fashion are great for saving space.
16) We also store folded clothes in the cabinet at the rear over the bed...jeans, t-shirts, etc.
17) We store small appliances in fabric bags with ties in the long double cabinet curbside over the bed...stove-top coffee pot, toaster, waffle iron, tea pot, small drip coffee maker, etc.
18) Our TV is mounted above the frig on a wall mount, by the way...
19) Odds & ends in the cubby holes behind the TV...
20) Magazines, books, wine, flashlights, umbrella, etc in the magazine holder by the door.
21) Canned goods, etc, in the pantry at the side of the frig.
22) When traveling we fold the lawn chairs, put them in a large heavy vinyl bags we've made and lean them against the dinette seats on either side of the the table leg...anything that you want to temporarily store there while traveling is OK but it should be on a rug or something to keep it from sliding around...
23) To prevent anything from coming out of the shelves or the frig should a cabinet or the frig door comes open (it never has) we use those spring-loaded tension bars (something like tension curtain rods only heavier-duty) that you can get at Camping World or camping supply places...they work well...
24) If we happen to need a cooler or other large object that we can't fit in the truck bed, we sit it n a rung in front of the frig while we travel...good place for it because it's over the axle.
25) Here's a neat trick: You can put more than one fitted sheet on the mattress...one on top of the other...if you are going to need to change the sheets mid-trip....and unfold extra flt top sheets, etc under the mattress...(You can use this idea for anything that is flat enough as to not create a "lump"... and doesn't mind being flattened under the mattress.)
26) The truck holds the grill, fire wood, emergency stuff like jacks, etc., extra beverages, hitch tools, leveling blocks, rolled up outdoor rug, a portable microwave if we are going to need it, tables, etc. We don't take anything that we are not going to use and we periodically go through what we do take and eliminate stuff that we have not been using.
27) While traveling we use the bed for other small items that need a safe place while traveling, and use the bed pillows, etc to pad and corral them to make sure nothing slides off.

Whew. The trick in a unit this small is to keep stuff put away. It will get cluttered and overflowing real quick if you don't.

Happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
WOW TB and Greg !! Sounds like you really have that trailer organized. You've listed some helpful hints that everyone living in an Airstream can put to good use.. Thanks
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Best thing we did for storage is to install shelves in the closet. We don't travel with full length dresses and sports coats as described in the AS manual.

Bought some of those wire shelf kits and cut them to custom fit the closet contours. The wire lets light shine through, they are lightweight, and air can circulate. I secured them to the shelf clips with plastic ties so if I need to remove them, I can cut the ties in a minute. They hold all our folded clothes and shoes. Also installed coat rack hooks on the wall at the foot of the bed. Any hanging clothes go on a clothes bar in the backseat of the car.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have REALLY limited storage space, these are our favorite space-savers: roll t-shirts/tops to fully utilize cupboard space; 3M peel&stick hooks in brushed aluminum finish hold jackets on empty wall behind driver's seat; clear hooks in bathroom hold towels; tub organizer in bathroom holds hairbrushes; expandable corner shelf unit in bathroom holds toiletries/toilet paper, etc.; over-cabinet-door hook/holder in galley hold trash bag and paper towels; 3M mini-hooks inside kitchen cabinet hold collapsible measuring cups; use collapsible collander and measuring pitcher; spices/favorite seasonings are purchased in bulk or taken out of packaging to go into clear plastic, screw-together organizers from hobby shops; anything in a box goes into clear plastic bag; driver and back seat organizers from Duluth Trading Co. hold miscellaneous items such as camera, phone charger, kleenex, quarters, CD's, snacks to consume when driving , etc. Happy packing!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Great ideas

This thread has some great ideas. Thanks all! TBRich, I took a picture today to ask people about that space behind the curbside dinette drawer, and you had already posted a solution. However, we have already found a spot for the dog food. Does anyone have any other ideas for this space? We were thinking of putting the tow mirrors there, but there must be a better use for this space. TBRich, thanks for the extensive list...I'm going to look in all the nooks and crannies to see if I can use your ideas.

Also, mojo, do you have pictures of your closet shelves? Or if anyone else has installed shelves, could you post pictures? We have 2 closets in the 23 footer, so we think one should have shelves. If you have a 23, what closet did you choose to install the shelves?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	empty space.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	99418  

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
This thread has some great ideas. Thanks all! TBRich, I took a picture today to ask people about that space behind the curbside dinette drawer, and you had already posted a solution. However, we have already found a spot for the dog food. Does anyone have any other ideas for this space? We were thinking of putting the tow mirrors there, but there must be a better use for this space. TBRich, thanks for the extensive list...I'm going to look in all the nooks and crannies to see if I can use your ideas.

Also, mojo, do you have pictures of your closet shelves? Or if anyone else has installed shelves, could you post pictures? We have 2 closets in the 23 footer, so we think one should have shelves. If you have a 23, what closet did you choose to install the shelves?

Thanks in advance,
Lisa
That space is where we keep our garabage can and it works really well! I pull it out when I am cooking and then when not in use, it slides right in there and out of the way
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Please keep in mind a preference for heavy items as close to the floor as practicable.
My wife insists on "real" ceramic dishes, pretty heavy pots and pans, etc.... Low to the floor is better for this kind of stuff. Melmac, Corelle, and the like....maybe not so much.
On another note, I sorta remember many, many years ago some talk of rounded plastic food containers for cereal, crackers and the like that were made to fit the roof curve and unique shape of the overhead lockers. Was that true, and if so, are they still made?
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Bins and baskets. That's how we do storage... since we are weekend warriors, we do a lot of hauling from trailer to house so this works well for us. But to be fair we have a 27ft A/S...which I am sure would feel palatial compared to your 19ft.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
When I was in Ikea, I saw a closet organizer made of canvas or some kind of cloth material. It was divived up into cubes, like for shoes, some larger than others ect. I wanted to measure the rear closet for space, but it seemed you could organize alot of items there. Being in the rear lighter items would probably be better. We would not have the need for that many hanging items on hangers, so this might make that large space much more useful. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Learned this in the Navy. Roll your clothes up in tight rolls. You can pack them in tight spaces and they won't wrinkle
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Don't forget the extra storage space right inside your tow vehicle. We have a topper on our truck and can store various "Tupperware totes" with extra clothes, bedding, dry goods, cleaning supplies, etc. in the truck box and not take up limited space in the trailer.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
The closet organizer works great, that is where I keep sweaters, tee shirts, cold weather gloves and hats. I have another one just for shoes in the back closet.
Can't figure out what to do with wet rain gear though since I store things in my shower/bath area already. Any ideas?
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We use large and x-large ziploc bags, also large packing cubes, for storing shoes and clothing items under the benches. Their soft and flexible nature means that they take up only the space of what's in them.

The Container Store has small, leak-proof plastic bottles that I like for things like sesame oil, hot sauce, soy sauce, etc., which we may or may not use on a 3 month trip, but which I like to have in a well-stocked kitchen so I can cook what we choose to eat. Some of these hold only a tablespoon or two. We've also started saving soy sauce packets from chinese take-out, which collectively take up much less space than a bottle.

Maggie
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
The closet organizer works great, that is where I keep sweaters, tee shirts, cold weather gloves and hats. I have another one just for shoes in the back closet.
Can't figure out what to do with wet rain gear though since I store things in my shower/bath area already. Any ideas?
for wet rain gear we use suction cups on the exterior of our A/S right next to the entry door and hang them up there (when the awning is down, at an angle of course). If the awning isn't down, we hang up our wet rain gear in the bathroom on hooks (and we aim the furnace vent uptowards them so they can dry) although we do try and avoid doing that since anything wet inside the A/S contributes to condensation.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
I discovered that the hall closet on our 25' Safari was a very nice size. Since we don't really need to hang up any of our clothing I decided to put some plastic drawers in there. We keep plastic bags in the top shelf and then other misc. items in the others. This works really well for us.

This is the shower. That is a pop up hamper that we use to put dirty laundry in. It sits on a little seat that is built into our shower. This works exceptionally well since I just take the hamper home with us and everything that needs to be washed is ready to go. To the left is a canvas type of closet organizer. I use this for B's clothing. It is extremely lightweight and works very well. On the floor of the shower is a shower mat and this is where we keep our wet shoes/boots.

This is an "s" hook that I bought at the container store. I hang up the closet organizer to the vent handle in the shower. Again, it is very light and doesn't put excessive pressure on that handle.

Our kitchen -- I still need or order a few more of the wire insert shelves for the pull out. Under the oven is our toaster and mini food processesor. I should note that we keep the toaster in a plastic bag (to catch all the stray crumbs). For washing dishes I use a foldable bamboo dish rack. It folds up and slides into the compartment right above the pull out

Kitchen drawers -- top drawer is for sharp knives, etc. The second drawer below that is our "utensil" drawer for spatulas, whisks, etc.

Anytime we go out to a restaurant, we collect the little condiment packs. Here is our collection in a couple of plastic boxes.

I've also discovered how great suction cups are for hanging things. Those magnetic hooks on the hood vent are also great (from the Container Store).

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Under Drawer Storage

In my 31 ASCL there is hidden storage UNDER a couple of my drawers which I use for toliot tissue, paper towels, paper cups and the Corian sink covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Drawer Storage1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	117032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Drawer Storage2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	117033  

withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
In my 31 ASCL there is hidden storage UNDER a couple of my drawers which I use for toliot tissue, paper towels, paper cups and the Corian sink covers.
Just the PERFECT place to put the wretched sink covers and a cast iron corn muffin sheet I use 5 times a year!

Paula