RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Eyota , Minnesota
Special Edition Package

Is there a list available as to what was included in the SE package on a 2007 Safari SE? It was almost a $4800 option in '07, so it must have included a few items.
L4740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
My 2007 Safari SE (Special Edition) upgrade included the interior aluminum skin, International-style windows with wrap around, panoramic front window and Vista View windows, brushed aluminum blinds, and Decor Lighting.

It also came with the LS upgrade package, which included the spare tire, Fantastic Fan, No-Fuss Black Tank Rinsing System, Aquajet Water Pump, Cast Aluminum Taillights, Electric Hitch Jack, 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner with Heat Pump, "LS" Exterior Graphics, Screen Door Guard, "One Touch" Galley Faucet with Separate Sprayer, Jackets (2) and Caps (2).
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Silvergate's got the list

I did not do much research before buying our SE - we just liked that model. Now that we have had it a while, of all those options, the interior aluminum skin is our favorite - worth the extra $s.
Broadway, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Eyota , Minnesota
First off I want to say, thank you for the info. and your candidness regarding this trailer. This forum has been very helpful, and I hesitate to say, an eye opener. I don't want to sound like a smart ass here, but I guess I should have titled this thread, "Is there anything about a 2007 25FB SE that doesn't have a quality problem?" This is very disappointing to hear these reports. I have owned many different campers during my life, and none of the SOB's had a list of problems this long. I'm not saying they didn't have problems, of course they did. But we are talking about an AS. The top of the line, premium priced travel trailer. But, I'm hearing things like panel separation, serious leaking, rotting floors, inferior tires and rims, corrosion and rust. These are or have the potential to be serious issues and the trailer only 4-5 years old.

I have always tried to apply this scenario to my purchases. "Never be afraid to buy the best you can afford. Since you will never be disappointed with it". After reading these reports, I no longer know if that saying holds true.

For many years I have dreamed about the day I would be able to afford an AS. The pride of ownership and the mystique they carry with them. Now that day is here and I am having serious doubts about the product. I know for years the AS was second to none. There was a reason to pay the premium price for them. Has that now change? At what point did the quality start to decline? And then to follow on with that, has the quality improved with the newer models? But again, we are only talking about a 5 year old trailer here. I always attempt to find the best value in my major purchases. Rather than concentrating solely on the price of an item, I try to determine if what I am purchasing is good value or not. That is why I have shied away from buying a new AS. Why not let someone else take the first few years of depreciation? After all, what could possible be wrong with a 5 year old AS? There good for at least 30 years, not? But maybe this is no longer true. Maybe I should look closer at buying new in an attempt to avoid these potential known problems? What is the general consensus on their quality issues? Have they improved in the later models? Or is it just too early to tell yet?

I don't mean to start yet another argument here about how much better an AS is over SOB. I realize there are 30, 40, 50 year old AS still on the road today. But now I have to wonder, 30, 40, 50 years from now, how many 2007, 2008, 2009, etc. will still be on the road?

Hmmm
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My Airstream might be a little like my Harley Davidson . . . It requires a little work, and occasionally some parts, but it sure looks good sitting in the driveway.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Did I miss something?

Just curious.... I can find nothing in the responses to the OP that would lead one to want to reframe the original post question in such a negative manner.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Just curious.... I can find nothing in the responses to the OP that would lead one to want to reframe the original post question in such a negative manner.
Not sure ,but I think he has been reading the forums for a long time... just my guess.
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Oh. I went back and re-read the OP again and I guess that conclusion could be drawn.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Eyota , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4740 View Post
First off I want to say, thank you for the info. and your candidness regarding this trailer. This forum has been very helpful, and I hesitate to say, an eye opener. I don't want to sound like a smart ass here, but I guess I should have titled this thread, "Is there anything about a 2007 25FB SE that doesn't have a quality problem?" This is very disappointing to hear these reports. I have owned many different campers during my life, and none of the SOB's had a list of problems this long. I'm not saying they didn't have problems, of course they did. But we are talking about an AS. The top of the line, premium priced travel trailer. But, I'm hearing things like panel separation, serious leaking, rotting floors, inferior tires and rims, corrosion and rust. These are or have the potential to be serious issues and the trailer only 4-5 years old.

I have always tried to apply this scenario to my purchases. "Never be afraid to buy the best you can afford. Since you will never be disappointed with it". After reading these reports, I no longer know if that saying holds true.

For many years I have dreamed about the day I would be able to afford an AS. The pride of ownership and the mystique they carry with them. Now that day is here and I am having serious doubts about the product. I know for years the AS was second to none. There was a reason to pay the premium price for them. Has that now change? At what point did the quality start to decline? And then to follow on with that, has the quality improved with the newer models? But again, we are only talking about a 5 year old trailer here. I always attempt to find the best value in my major purchases. Rather than concentrating solely on the price of an item, I try to determine if what I am purchasing is good value or not. That is why I have shied away from buying a new AS. Why not let someone else take the first few years of depreciation? After all, what could possible be wrong with a 5 year old AS? There good for at least 30 years, not? But maybe this is no longer true. Maybe I should look closer at buying new in an attempt to avoid these potential known problems? What is the general consensus on their quality issues? Have they improved in the later models? Or is it just too early to tell yet?

I don't mean to start yet another argument here about how much better an AS is over SOB. I realize there are 30, 40, 50 year old AS still on the road today. But now I have to wonder, 30, 40, 50 years from now, how many 2007, 2008, 2009, etc. will still be on the road?

Hmmm
Sorry I posted this under the wrong thead. Maybe a moderator can move it under the thread started by me titled, Any Glaring Issues? Sorry for the screw up.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Read a little lower. The reason it looks a little off is that the OP cross-posted to a different thread than intended.

Quote:
Sorry I posted this under the wrong thead. Maybe a moderator can move it under the thread started by me titled, Any Glaring Issues? Sorry for the screw up.
No harm done. Enough responses came to your post above that doing surgery to this thread would be clumsy. So I'm leaving all the above intact -- but I copied your post to the other thread. It appears in both places. See it here. Is that right?

Heatwave! It's moved from -22 to -18 in the last hour.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Thanks BobStream. And i offered my apology over on the other thread for implying negativity now that I saw that there was another thread that did have a lengthy list of things to watch out for. Have a friend over at the University there but I guess he won't be out hitting fly balls there today. :-)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought our 2007 Airstream SE new in Minnesota, where we live as well, and have camped in it a total of nine months now. It is terrific and a source of pride and joy, and we have never, ever wished we had bought another brand.

We were not familiar with Airstream when we bought it so glad we bought new. It is not absolutely perfect, but close. Much of the problems you read here are from a relatively small group, some over and over again. If buying used, be sure you know everything about its history. The danger is not with the Airstream, but what it has been subjected to.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:

I have always tried to apply this scenario to my purchases. "Never be afraid to buy the best you can afford. Since you will never be disappointed with it".
I think your quote above has something to say about your apprehension. I have a brother who believes in buying brand names. His lawn mower is better than mine because it is a "Brand X." When you start to believe that paying top dollar for anything ensures you that it will remain trouble free, well, you are going to be disappointed. Granted, you should not have a lot of issues but there will be issues just the same.

That said, I believe that all the problems that get discussed are indeed true but not something that happens to all trailers. We bought an '06 used that had a few minor problems that we have addressed. It does not leak, the tires are still holding up but I am going to replace them and everything works fine. We love the 25 FB layout and are happy with spending the money. I also know that I will have to be diligent with maintenance to keep it in good shape. This summer I will recaulk all the roof vents and such, replace the tires and continue to be ever watchful of the possibilities of leaks.

My only issue is the noise from the water pump. I think that a coach like an Airstream should have a very quiet pump similar to my cousin's Arctic Fox.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
considerations of open internet Owner Forums

Vehicle problems are always seemingly over-magnified on any Forum like this. People do not post about stuff that works - just stuff that breaks. When someone posts a problem or a solution, others chime in with their experience or solution. No one chimes in with "hey! whats the big deal? mine works fine".

My experience is similar to what Aftermath posted. A few complaints but nothing major. Airstreams are unique hand made travel trailers, art with function.

My wife bought a BMW convertible about the same time I bought my F-150. Both have well over 100K miles now. Seems like her car is always in the shop for something or another. She just puts that top down on sunny days and could care less when I remind her that the F150 has only been to the repair shop once.

Airstreams are not going score well for folks that use a spreadsheet to decide what to purchase. You need to stir in some healthy doses of dreamin' into the analytics.
Broadway, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Eyota , Minnesota
Thanks everyone for your replies as well as the PMs. It's been helpful. I am also sorry that this got screwed up and I posted under the wrong thread. I was obviously a little distraught this morning after reading about all the troubles to look out for on this trailer. I also didn't mean to imply that I expect an AS or any other thing I buy to be trouble free. Sorry if that's the way it was taken way. I fully understand that regardless what you pay for something there is bound to be trouble. My point was that when you buy something, don't look just at the price of something, look at the value of the product. That doesn't mean you will always buy the most expensive item. But the one that has a long history of being trouble free. And some of the issues being brought up here go beyond what I would expect from an AS. I also know that these forums tend to accumulate negative entry's about a product. Because your right, no one comes on here and announces that they didn't have any trouble today. They are here to get help regarding an issue they have had. Understandable.
Now a little bit about this specific AS. It is a 2007 Safari 25FB SE. With some other upgrades as well. Not the LS package however. It is from a private owner. It has been on 4 trips. One of the trips was when they brought it home from the dealer. It has less than 4500 miles on it. I have not seen it in person yet. I have many pictues of it, and have talked at length with the owners. The assure me, it absolutely looks and even smells like new yet. The pictures confirm that. (Well the looks, not the smell) So you can see I was pretty worked up about going to check this one out until this morning when I was reading all of the potention issues with this model. I guess I was just more surprised than anything to see those issues. Since this trailer has not seen much use yet, I am going to assume then that none of the larger issues have surfaced yet. That could be bad. Since if and when they do show up, they will surface for the new owner. Whomever that may be. I'm still not ruling out an AS, since I have been looking for over two years now. But the '07 Safari might not be the one for me. I guess only I can make that decision. Thanks again everybody. Maybe the next time you hear from me I'll be showing you pictures of my "new" AS.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is nothing wrong with the 07 Safari 25 SE as a particular model. Nothing at all. If you have read something that prevents you from buying it, we may be ready to move up a size. Let me know by private message and if the deal is decent, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I bought my 06 SEFB back in October after researching the Internet and looking at photos and talking to a the dealer that was selling it on consignment. It's amazing and does still smell new inside but was about $22K less than a new one. I know that the PO replaced the skylight and a battery but that's it. Buy the trailer you want at the price that works. Been the Vintage route and I tell you, almost new is better.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Some people do nothing but whine about every little thing that is not perfect. Well, we are on our 4th Airstream. Everyone needed tweaking and we loved every one!! We just take care of whatever the issue is and move on. Nothing in life is perfect. Airstreams are wonderful, they are in a class of their own. Along with your Airstream you get a great community of people and become friends with many. We now love our '07 25' FB SE. It had a leak and it was repaired and that is that. We have added 5 drawers and enlarged one. We have added dividers, shelves and a new cabinet for the Zip Dee chairs. We have replaced the flooring too. Changed out the blinds in the bedroom for the new style roll shades. I washed all the drapes and all cushion covers. We enjoy our rig and are heading out this week for a month. Get past all your concerns. Get an Airstream, deal with any issues as they arrive, enjoy your travels in it and all the wonderful people you will meet along the way.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In 29 years as an Automotive Factory Rep, I can only think of twice that a customer called me to say everything is fine and I love my car/truck.

Unfortunately, motivation to act or communicate in humans is mostly driven by anger or frustration.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There will be issues. We have had issues. The issue for the day is sticky windows. After prying all the windows open with a spatula, a rubbed talcum powder on all the rubber weather stripping in hopes the windows won't be stuck again. Overall, once all the problems are solved, Airstream ownership is worry free as compared to any other brand.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote