Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #221
3 Rivet Member

A friend of mine had his rotton floor replaced at C&G Trailer in Bellflower www.CGTrailer.com. He also had floor rot under the rear dinette. He is very happy with the work and the cost.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #222
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
Brad,

I recently felt your pain. My new to me 2008 27FB Safari revealed its floor rot on our second outing when the dinette leg punched through the rotten floor underneath. .....................
You might also call Airstream, ask to speak to Bob Wheeler (the president) and politely discuss your disappointment with him. Some of the Forums threads suggest some people have persuaded Airstream to assist or cover these types of repairs even out of warranty.

So now a spate of yet more leaky late model Waterstream trailers with expensively rotten floors. Mine was two and a half years old when it showed rotten floor, even though kept in a barn. As you can read in previous posts on this threads from two years ago,
1) Shoddy work at the factory; parts of the seal of one pano window was completely left out. No responsibility for this taken by the factory.
2) I bought the trailer "new" but close inspection by my repair shop showed that an attempt to seal the leaky window with goop without disassembling it had been made, prior to selling it to me. Not a good sign of integrity by either the factory or the dealer (not sure which did this).
2) Leaks at the bumper seal....bad design. How long have they been building these?
3) Leaks at the bumper from screw holes with no screws in them. Again, somebody messed with this before I bought it from the qualified Airstream dealer as "new".
4) Airstream, after a year's worth of haggling, only came up with half the cost of repairs.
5) To my knowledge, still no recall or warnings sent out to the owners of late model Airstreams by the company, depite ample evidence that this is a problem with many if not most of these. Can they at least publically acknowledge that they have made a fix on new model trailers now....or are they still selling them like this?

My conclusion: Don't do business with this company. When the economy returns (wouldn't that be nice) I shall sell this expensive piece of leaky aluminum. It is hardly worth paying double for over the cost of anyone else's box trailer.
glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #223
2 Rivet Member

Before I buy a new one, I too would like to know the answer to that question.

Are they still being built with this problematic design at the bumper?

I understand the importance of routine maintenance but I cannot see through aluminum walls.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 2012/2013 Airstreams (possibly some 2011's) have a rubber tubular (type) seal above the problematic rear bumper area. You can see it on the sides.

Woof and others, you can probe through the vinyl floor with a moisture detection meter of the type home inspectors use (yes, houses leak too). I use a Sonin from Amazon about $30 as part of my routine quarterly inspection cycle.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #225
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Doug,

We are looking at the 2013 now, so will this rubber seal keep the bumper water from coming in?

At the dealer, should I have them do a pressure test as part of the pdi?

When I bring it home I will check all the seals on the roof and caulk around the windows as well just to make sure it stays dry. Do you also add extra caulk down the side seams and around the belt trim?
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
woof, they will tell you the Airstream was leaked-checked at the factory. And it was.

Personal opinions:

Don't see a need for this on the new trailer because I believe it could pass the test and develop a leak on the way home. There may be contributing factors, rough roads or stiff suspension tow vehicles are suspect by some who repair trailers. I would use a tow vehicle capacity that closely matches the Airstream size, not too small and not too big.

The greatest disappointment with a new Airstream are leaks and corrosion.

On my new Airstream I did not trust the foam seals on exterior fittings, so I masking-taped and sealed them on the top and both sides, leaving the bottom unsealed for possible drainage. Watch the pano windows for leaks along the inside bottom sills at the curve. Use a moisture detection meter quarterly to probe through the vinyl floor at the sides to see if plywood subfloor is damp.

Corrosion will happen at exterior rivets, panel edges, fittings, and wheels. Also steel underbody components. As soon as I brought it home, I sprayed the underbody steel with Boeshield T-9 which leaves a paraffin wax residue on them. I sprayed all the exterior rivets, panel edges, fittings, and wheels with CorrosionX and wipe off the excess. Do quarterly. If at the ocean or on salted roads, wash and do again when home. The exterior panel surfaces are protected with a clear coat finish before manufacture, but wherever this is cut or drilled, corrosion can/will happen.

Routine quarterly maintenance is easy and can save you disappointment in the future. Don't wait for leaks and corrosion to do damage. Ownership of anything requires care to keep it nice, Airstream is no different.

doug k
Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #227

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Water leak on 27FB

We are suffering with the same leak issue in our 2007 27FB. Been going back and forth with Airstream and the best they can offer is for us to haul it to NJ from eastern MA so Colonial Airstream can take a look at it. No commitment yet of any kind for coverage for labor or parts, not to mention the cost for us to transport it 6 hours away and then back. Does anyone know of anyone in the Eastern MA or RI area that can correctly handle this kind of repair? Also does anyone know for sure where the leak is coming in from and how to stop it so there is no furthur damage? Thanks.
gkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcs
We are suffering with the same leak issue in our 2007 27FB. Been going back and forth with Airstream and the best they can offer is for us to haul it to NJ from eastern MA so Colonial Airstream can take a look at it. No commitment yet of any kind for coverage for labor or parts, not to mention the cost for us to transport it 6 hours away and then back. Does anyone know of anyone in the Eastern MA or RI area that can correctly handle this kind of repair? Also does anyone know for sure where the leak is coming in from and how to stop it so there is no furthur damage? Thanks.
You might call Colin Hyde at Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations in Plattsburgh, NY. He has a very good reputation for repairing and restoring Airstreams. Travel may be less distance than going to Colonial.

My 27FB floor rot was repaired at Jackson Center. It was leaking around the rear window, the rear bumper, and one exterior marker light. I was pleased with the quality of the repair at JC.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #229
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I just got back from Jackson Center - I had them remove the trim rail and seal where the bumper and shell come together. I also had them drop the belly and check the floor (dry and perfect) and make slits in the reflectex insulation. I now have peace of mind that the trailer will stay dry from that design flaw (now fixed in newer models with a gasket). The Service Crew at Airstream did a wonderful job - very nice and helpful. I highly recommend them.

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #230
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcs View Post
There's a place in Nashua NH (about an hour from you) called Profile Stateline Superstore. Pretty small place but they are an Airstream dealer and do service. I suggest calling them. I have no personal experience there but they often have airstreams in their parking lot!

About State Line Superstore | Auto Sales, Boat & Travel Trailers | Maine & New Hampshire RV Dealer
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #231
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Repair shop north of Atlanta in Ellijay

I live in the same area and have always used an Airstream Repair shop in Ellijay
called North Georgia Airstream 770-845-0769. North Georgia Airstream Repair Camper Repair Center - Home

Does good work and is close.
Good luck
Lynn
txstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #232
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
I just got back from Jackson Center - I had them remove the trim rail and seal where the bumper and shell come together. I also had them drop the belly and check the floor (dry and perfect) and make slits in the reflectex insulation. I now have peace of mind that the trailer will stay dry from that design flaw (now fixed in newer models with a gasket). The Service Crew at Airstream did a wonderful job - very nice and helpful. I highly recommend them.
That's exactly what we had done a year ago. Was there any cost to you?

I had them leave the linoleum pulled back to dry for a month. Once I was sure it was bone dry I coated the floor with Rot Doctor epoxy for added future protection in case it leaks again around the rear pano windows which we resealed ourself.

I still shake my head wondering why a more water resistant flooring is not being used in such an expensive trailer.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #233
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
I shake my head about the flooring that has been used also. But my case is far different. I have an older trailer 89 32' Excella. I found a good deal and was assured it was in great shape,then I drug it from Michigan all the way home to western Colorado. Then discovered the back 52" of floor was rotten. This repair was a big job and I'm grateful to some nice guys that gave me tech help on other posts. I'm at the point of now addressing the re caulking. There are so many places that can leak that pressure seems like the only practical way to search. As frustrating as this all is,I don't know of anything else that is as good as Airstream for my use. So I'm willing to fight it out with a few problems. Now if I can learn to do my own tests I think I have it in the bag and can use my trailer for many years. It's a bit shocking to hear of these problems on newer trailers that cost so much.
Mark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #234
1 Rivet Member

Pico rivera , California
I"m glad I heard about Airstream's lack of concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
I won't post about my issue - but believe me - I can give you their answer, it's all your lack of proper maintenance and lack of detecting the leak in time that is the problem. Ask me how I know.....

been ther last month - got that answer - even though there was a 2003 CCD 4 s/n numbers behind mine which had the EXACT same issue and leak and repair - and it was all my fault that mine leaked.
My daughter just purchased an Airstream, and now of course I'm (was) thinking of purchasing one myself. That is until I read about the lack of support from Airstream. Regardless of warranty time. A product of this assumed level should be covered even after warranty expiration. You pay the price for a superior product, as well as superior support! If they expect the premium price without the premium support to the customer, then Airstream can kiss at least one customer good-bye!
twoweeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #235
1 Rivet Member

Pico rivera , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Thanks Doug,

We are looking at the 2013 now, so will this rubber seal keep the bumper water from coming in?

At the dealer, should I have them do a pressure test as part of the pdi?

When I bring it home I will check all the seals on the roof and caulk around the windows as well just to make sure it stays dry. Do you also add extra caulk down the side seams and around the belt trim?
Just my .02 cents. I'd have a problem spending that kind of money, and then focusing on fixing and double checking things on what is suppose to be "a quality item". Reminds me of the time I had a roof put on, and the roofer ran short on material and found himself trying to patch my brand new roof, that wasn't even completed yet. Good Luck either way!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoweeled View Post
My daughter just purchased an Airstream, and now of course I'm (was) thinking of purchasing one myself. That is until I read about the lack of support from Airstream. Regardless of warranty time. A product of this assumed level should be covered even after warranty expiration. You pay the price for a superior product, as well as superior support! If they expect the premium price without the premium support to the customer, then Airstream can kiss at least one customer good-bye!
Kindly report back to us what you do decide to buy and how that goes. Especially after the 10, 20, 30, 40 years or so that these lousy Airstreams remain in service.

doug k
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #237
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
There are several places that you should keep an eye on. Add to the ones being discussed,all the fittings for the awnings. Water gets focused there
,and any leaks will be that much worse. I'm still shocked that Airstream isn't standing up to their problems better. We want a high quality American made product and many people pay top dollar for it.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #238
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If Airstreams were stored inside like a prized car instead of parked outside to rot, they would probably last a hundred years . . . maybe two. Here, a premium car parked outside in the elements is called neglect.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #239
1 Rivet Member

Pico rivera , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Kindly report back to us what you do decide to buy and how that goes. Especially after the 10, 20, 30, 40 years or so that these lousy Airstreams remain in service.

doug k
I sure will Doug. I think I have to go back to the drawing board. But keep in mind, you can keep virtually anything in service, if your willing to continue repairing it!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #240
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
It's fine to keep a trailer parked under a roof. But that's not the real world for normal use. For real use seams need to hold and floors shouldn't rot. An Airstream is an outside all weather structure. We shouldn't have to replace floors that were made from particle board. So OK when a trailer like mine gets older some work can be expected. But when a company sells something it needs to stand behind the product and correct the problems. I'm very grateful to these forums due to the fact that I had a real mess on my hands. People who know what they are doing shared their experience from repairing and rebuilding design flaws with me. Many of these problems should not be in new trailers like we are hearing about. Not at the cost of a new Airstream. While a new fancy car should be in a garage a semi truck shouldn't be. Things need to handle their environment,and if they can't it's time for the company to put the engineers back on the drafting tables. Airstream needs to be reading these forums and see what the problems are and very often the solutions. My next trailer might well be an old shell that I rebuild correctly. If that's the way to get quality then that is what I'll do. I won't be the first.