Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Sixs years old? maybe some preventive maintenance needed to be done. just thinking, jim
Wow, thanks for that!

With a sticker price of 48 grand for a small 23 ft trailer, I'd expect it not to leak for quite a few years. It showed no signs of leaks or cracks on the roof or anywhere else. I have been on the roof many times checking and replacing parts. AC top cover, vent cover and checking for places to put solar panels. Also, every single time we washed it, the roof was washed with me on a 10ft ladder looking down on the roof.

Now if i had bought a 15k dollar trailer, i would expect it to be falling apart as much as i used it. Then it's just a throw away, but it wasn't 15k.

It's pretty obvious i am not the only one who has a leaking problem, AS's are built like crap now. Since the don't fix their problems, I would much rather they go bankrupt before anyone else gets ripped off with a crappy product. JUST THINKING!
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #162
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
@-------> mrchinup1

What specifically caused the water damage?

My trailer had one damage area and I found and fixed 11 separate leaks contributing to that damage. I actually found 11 and fixed 10. One was the step release slot that was designed to channel 2 gallons of water per rain into the belly pan:-) Guess what that pink insulation looked like.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #163
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I had the rear bumper leak and discovered it by chance when the trailer was lifted on a jack to replace the tires. Water poured out at the rear of the wheel well. People at Camper Clinic II showed me an 'o8 model witgh the belly pan dropped that had extensive rot in the flooring. I droped pan and thankfully found no rot . Sealed rear bumper and for extra measure drilled 1/8 inch holes in bottom of pan so that any new leaking water could drain out.

Saw a couple w/ a brand new 25 FB Flying Cloud stopped for lunch in Monte Vista, CO. I stopped and told them about the rear bumper leak--it's the sort of issue they might not have discovered until trailer is out of warranty. Perhaps AS has fixed the problem, but I doubt it. Met another couple w/an '10 28 ft. this summer and their's leaked so badly AS gave them another trailer. Guy told me he visited the factory and that he was convinced the quality issue was the result of, in his words, "Ohio farm boys slapping the trailers together as fast as they could."
Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #164
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Southern Pines , North Carolina
You're right. Nothing in the manual about underneath leaks, plus The dealer checked mine every year at winterizeing time and yet.... Actually I did notice some discoloration at the entrance after the second year but thought it was where I had a rubber mat, should have asked but never thought... Haven't yet heard from the factory after talking to several people. Don't have much hope. I love the little Stream. It seems we both have been betrayed. Coot
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
@-------> mrchinup1

What specifically caused the water damage?

My trailer had one damage area and I found and fixed 11 separate leaks contributing to that damage. I actually found 11 and fixed 10. One was the step release slot that was designed to channel 2 gallons of water per rain into the belly pan:-) Guess what that pink insulation looked like.
'

I'll be honest, i don't know. It was leaking in at least 3 places, in the front was the worst, near the door and near the fridge. That is as far as i ripped up the vinyl flooring. I'm going to call AS tomorrow and see how much it will cost to fix it. I guess i just didn't expect leaks like this for many years. I don't have any damage more that scrapes and dings to cause any leaks, after about 70k miles i expect things to break and i fix them as i go. I have met people with all types of rv's not one had leaking problems after 5 years.

We were at Sam's town in Vegas and my wife said, the floor under the table is soft, i got on my knee's and just said oh boy, lol. I went to the store and got rv roof seal and sealed every single thing up there. Now after reading many posts here, it might not be the roof. We were out west for a month or so, we came home early so i could fix this mess before we go to Florida for the winter, I didn't think it would be wet under the fridge. I'll admit, I'd probably be over my head if i had to move the fridge, gas heater and that big cabinet. I wonder how much AS will charge to fix it?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
. Guy told me he visited the factory and that he was convinced the quality issue was the result of, in his words, "Ohio farm boys slapping the trailers together as fast as they could."
When we were at the factory 5 years back or so, the workers were getting paid on a piece work basis. They were rushing like heck to finish things, there is not quality control that way. I can see now why AS's have so many problems. It's a horrible way to run a business, sooner or later if will catch up to them. I personally hope it's soon.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #167
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I typically don't hire the same guy that caused the problem to fix the problem he caused.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #168
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I typically don't hire the same guy that caused the problem to fix the problem he caused.
I kind of agree with you, but this time i would be right there breathing down their necks! I will talk to the local RV shop, i just doubt they have worked on AS's. The factory would have to give me some kind of discount for me to drive 550 miles up there. I'm not sure that will happen though.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchinup1 View Post
I kind of agree with you, but this time i would be right there breathing down their necks! I will talk to the local RV shop, i just doubt they have worked on AS's. The factory would have to give me some kind of discount for me to drive 550 miles up there. I'm not sure that will happen though.

Well, when you decide, and I'm almost sure you will decide like I did and have the factory do the work - then you will learn, like I did, the service techs do not really like the work the factory floor workers do. The service techs cannot explain some of the reasoning the factory floor people do some of the things they do.

Now, for some words of advice. They read this thread. I know they do. When you call and report the damage they can match you to this thread. I made the mistake of voiceing my opinion, I was treated differently than then the rest of the people waiting for service. They will be ready for you. Sound like Big Brother? I really did not care. AS owes us something, what, I cannot put into words, my investment - and that's what it was - was lost with this damage. I'm lucky I got a fair deal used, and the repairs added into the purchase price was only a little over book value, so I'm not hurt that much. To have a new, off the dealer lot (AND YES - two years old is still NEW) AS show this dammage - I would lose it.

Call, complain, DOCUMENT when and if you reported damage while under warrenty, DOCUMENT who you talked to, when and for what reason. Need to talk -PM me if you like - we can exchange phone numbers. They do have a standard answer when you call for this. You should have done better mantenance.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Sadly this thread and other ones discussing the rotting floor issues with recent AS models and Airstream's apparent indifference to the affected owner's plight, have essentially convinced me to look at another brand. The Evergreen Element (26 foot model) has a floor plan similar to the AS 27' FB model that I had been coveting. The design and construction of that unit as described on the web site and in the brochure, seem to address a lot of the issues that AS owners appear to have with their late model units.

I'll sure miss the potential camaraderie of AS ownership, but I am primarily looking for a reliable and well built TT that will provide shelter as my wife and I travel around North America.

I hope we can all still be friends on the road!
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstream sucks but not as bad as anything else.

I just got back from Out of Doors Mart, where my floor rot issues were thoroughly taken care of. I frankly think the quality of the work is better than the mothership. So, if you're from North Carolina and need work, I guarantee these folks have had plenty of recent practice.

Frankly I hadn't kept up on much of the maintenance I should have been doing, and Virginia's summer of rain, plus a possible flood while I was out of town may have contributed or made it worse, but my unit did go to the mothership TWICE where it was supposedly checked and resealed. Hmmmm. I've had dreams of falling off the roof and breaking my hip or tailbone, and I can afford to have others do the work... but I trust Terry and his cohorts to be meticulous.

In addition to the bumper leak, I had window leaks, leaks around the fantastic fan, the vents the skylight, the antenna, and a cracked A/C shroud.

Oh, and I also got rid of that crappy carpet in the bedroom. Looks a whole lot better with coordinating congoleum.

I've been in a lot of my friends SOB's. Half smell like black mould, the other half are constantly being recaulked. I watched one friend, Faye, open a kitchen drawer and have it fall apart in her hands. Now, that's SOB quality.

Paula
Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Sadly this thread and other ones discussing the rotting floor issues with recent AS models and Airstream's apparent indifference to the affected owner's plight, have essentially convinced me to look at another brand. The Evergreen Element (26 foot model) has a floor plan similar to the AS 27' FB model that I had been coveting. The design and construction of that unit as described on the web site and in the brochure, seem to address a lot of the issues that AS owners appear to have with their late model units.

I'll sure miss the potential camaraderie of AS ownership, but I am primarily looking for a reliable and well built TT that will provide shelter as my wife and I travel around North America.

I hope we can all still be friends on the road!
We bought our new Airstream after looking at and considering many new models. We know from the last Airstream there are potential problem areas, but at least we are not hoping some plastic body panel will not delaminate or stress crack, or plastic windows will not haze. Or who knows what from these relatively new trailers. I believe we can keep the Airstream in good condition for many years of reliable travel, and when something fails, we know it is repairable.

And we won't miss out on the camaraderie or pride of traveling with our Airstream, or the folks who come to tell us stories of when their grandparents had one. Is it a downside of ownership when someone asks, standing next to your new Airstream, if they still make these things. Or is it a complement to the classic style. They never look outdated.

AnnArborBob, these things are not perfect but you most surely know the others are not either. I don't think reliability or well built is the issue. I do think Airstreams require a more frequent inspection and maintenance schedule than what the company advises. You can use the problems expressed in this forum to keep you away from the brand, or you can use them to develop a plan to keep your Airstream in good shape.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Thanks for the kind responses to my concerns. It's definitely the people that keep me coming back to AS! I've got another year or two before I will be making the TT purchase. Perhaps by then AS will have resolved the issue (if they have not already in the recent models.) I do not like the design and construction of most SOB's. The Evergreen Element that I mentioned earlier appears to be an exception but as I have not seen one in person, this is still theoretical.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
FWIW, I had a large area in my '92 with OSB sub floor due to the city water inlet leaking between the walls and the water flowed down and underneath the carpet where it wasn't seen until saturated. I was able to fix it without a major reconstruction project by making a penetrating epoxy using a Progressive Epoxy resin thinned with xylene to stabilize the punk and then I overlaid it with two layers of fiberglass mat and epoxy resin to restore the strength. The penetrating epoxy does take a week or more of ventilation for all of the fumes to die down.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #175
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I think, and this is my real issue, that if Airstream had notified the owners of the effected years of this "weakness" in design and the problems could have been detected earlier (which means less cost for repairs) then we would not have been so unhappy with the problem. It's the continued fake shock when you show up for repairs, and the continued excuse that "if you maintained it properly" response to the owners like we are the only ones with this problem that gets to me. If any other brand had the same % of failures reported then there would be a recall, or at the very least a notice to increase inspections. This is the only place many learn of the issue and check. Many to their surprise and shock of the damage caused by the total lack of sealant in a critical spot. Beltline leaks are preventable, that is proven, you just have to know to look.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #176
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Beltline Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
. . . the total lack of sealant in a critical spot. Beltline leaks are preventable, that is proven, you just have to know to look.
I believe you are referring to the beltline just above the rear bumper. Reading these threads, many owners are sealing this area, but is this a good idea?

Airstream does not seal the bottom of other external fixtures, such as tail light housings, so they can drain if water gets in. The pano windows have proven to be another source of leaks, and in cold weather condensation can built up on internal surfaces. If you seal the lower beltline area, wouldn't you prevent other sources of water to drain from the trailer?

It is realized that water forced into this area from directing a hose here when washing, or wind-driven rain or driving in heavy rain can cause water intrusion, so it is a genuine concern. But where is the trade-off? I'm guessing it is better to leave as designed (?) to drain internal water, and try to avoid the external causes of water intrusion.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I sealed the top of mine, but left the bottom as is. I haven't had a leak there, just did it as a preventative measure.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #178
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Let's be clear on the issue with the 22' CCD from mine and several other years. The wood sits on top - on top - of the back flat panel that the hinged trunk is attached too. So, when it gets water on it, that water flows back to direct contact with the OSB subfloor - UNDER the beltline trim that has no sealant. That is the issue, I have seen it with my own eyes, a true design flaw. I had no other water issues from any other fixtures. I have seen (or been told about directly from their owners) this issue in 11 other trailers of my model. It took 3 years to do the damage, 1 year out of warrenty. I was blamed for bad maintenance, even though a CCD of the same year a few SN's from mine was there for the exact same damage. I guess we were both bad owners not doing a good job of maintaining the AS. That is my beef.

BTW - the service tech at AS filled the bottom opening to "prevent this from happening again" his words and it's on my documentation as the action taken.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We just had the sealant repair across the top of the bumper done at JC. The entire insert and rub rail at the back was removed, cleaned, and recaulked. There were at least 3-4 areas with NO sealant at all.

Perhaps that is why the back 3' of floor was damp even though the trailer had not been rained on for the 10 previous days.

As well, the rear belly pan was removed and the wet insulation was slit to allow a bit of ventilation and water drainage.

Hopefully the problem is now solved.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It sounds to me like a problems with recent units is the lack of sealant under the belt-line trim which allows water to get to the wood floor around the edges. Several posters have indicated that they have added sealant to this area after discovering the problem. Seems like an obvious and easy fix (not counting repairing the water damage.) I have two questions: #1 does anyone know if the factory is now sealing the belt-line in the current model year of trailers? #2 does this solve the problem of water getting to and rotting the floor on recent model year trailers or are there still other design and manufacturing issues that let an excessive amount water into the unit and thereby cause the floor to rot?