Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
it depends , changes frequently
I'm a fulltimer in my 20' Safari SE. My model has a front panoramic window. Shortly after I picked it up, I noticed very slight water leaks in the pano window. Being new and excited about my new lifestyle, I accepted the answer from AS: "Well, it bounces along the road, you can't expect it to be watertight." Ummm....but what about that hurricane-like water test you put it through? ...and also, how come when my trailer is repaired at the service center, they just put a gentle stream of water on it and don't take it through the "hurricane test" again that they've got in the manufacturing plant...Anyway, last July, I drove through a few days of pounding rain in Vermont. After a few days, it occurred to me to check under the bed, which is where the front pano window is. Sure enough, totally and completely soaking wet. When I got to Airstream, it was determined to be a maintenance issue - I should have known that the miter joints on my window would leak...and what was I thinking, driving through the rain? I tore up the linoleum in all of the hidden storage compartments, but not where it was immediately in view. Soaking wet everywhere. Having read some of this forum, I was very very concerned about rot and asked every serviceman there (including the head honcho) if I should pull up the rest of the linoleum. Everybody assured me that I had nothing to worry about. Now, 10 months later, I found a soft spot under my dinette table and had to rip up the linoeum. It's rotten. Also, the rest of the floor in that same area is damp. It's been days now with the air conditioning on, and it is still wet. I poked a finger through the rot and it is very damp under the board. I believe water has been sitting under there all this time. The guys in the service department must be aware of the chance that water could be hanging out under the floor. At the time, I wasn't aware of that possibility and trusted their expertise. So how come when I expressed my concern about rot, they didn't bring that up as a concern, and in fact shrugged it off as a petty concern? How come they didn't suggest to drop the belly pan and see if it need to be drained? I've been trying really hard to stay positive about Airstreams and their build quality and have even gone to bat for them when people ask me why I've had so many problems with the trailer, but this has put me over the edge. I haven't yet spoken to a rep at Airstream. Have left a message with Randy. I've had my trailer 3.5 years.
silversnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
...should also mention that the AS servicemen told me that as long as the floorboard has a chance to dry out, it could handle a swim. I blasted it with dehumidifiers, heat and air conditioning on the topside and did not remove the visible linoleum as recommended. Where I had pulled up the linoleum, it dried...where I left it is where the rot occurred.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Hidden. Found the issue when the flooring was becoming stained.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Yikes, all you guys are dealing with leaking in such new trailers. One thing I found, not reading every post to see if has been mentioned, that water can get in the shell up high and travel along the inner skin. A mysterious leak at the front window turned out to be coming in around the edge of the skylight; another leak that has plagued my trailer it seems since it was new was that a plumbing vent pipe fitting wasn't glued correctly, and water would dribble out of the joints, behind cabinetry and unseen for years. Its amazing that these things aren't sealed up better at the factory, or that the sealed joints aren't engineered better to withstand the dynamic stresses on a trailer.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Sealtech 430R results on rear bumper

I'm heading to Jackson Center to have the rear rub rail at the bumper removed and the area inspected.

I found this today (see pics) while presure testing my 2007 27FB for leaks using the Sealtech 430R. Below are two pics of the HUGE bubbles being produced where the rear bumper and rub rail meet. I also have video if you want me to send (PM me). The leak was so bad I could feel the air escaping from the pressurized cabin at the seam. No doubt there is a huge gap needing sealant that the factory should have addressed during the build of the trailer. The huge volume of air escaping from this area reveals this is NOT maintenance issue; rather a DESIGN FLAW from Airstream. I'm not happy...

Fortunately the trailer is stored indoors so no rot damage has occured. Thankfully I found this section of the forums and invested $2K in the SealTech 430R rather than ~$5K in future repairs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0321.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	131063  
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #126
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Thumbs up

Wow, that is definitely a smoking gun; yes, thank goodness for forums like this that allow us to share ideas and info so readily.

Glad you caught it before it created a problem.

Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #127
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
If they're smart, they'd ditch the primitive water ritual on the production line and buy their very own SealTech 430R; test each completed unit after pushing it out the back door.....oh, wait.....then they'd have to fix every potential water leak......(so maybe they're smarter than I think, after all).
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesgl View Post
I'm heading to Jackson Center to have the rear rub rail at the bumper removed and the area inspected.

I found this today (see pics) while presure testing my 2007 27FB for leaks using the Sealtech 430R. Below are two pics of the HUGE bubbles being produced where the rear bumper and rub rail meet. I also have video if you want me to send (PM me). The leak was so bad I could feel the air escaping from the pressurized cabin at the seam. No doubt there is a huge gap needing sealant that the factory should have addressed during the build of the trailer. The huge volume of air escaping from this area reveals this is NOT maintenance issue; rather a DESIGN FLAW from Airstream. I'm not happy...

Fortunately the trailer is stored indoors so no rot damage has occured. Thankfully I found this section of the forums and invested $2K in the SealTech 430R rather than ~$5K in future repairs...
This will always be a common problem spot. Under the rail are standard unsealed pop rivets. There almost always produce bubbles when I test trailers,

Steve
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #129
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Ok, so how do I seal this area on my 2007 27FB assuming it has the same design flaw?
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
Ok, so how do I seal this area on my 2007 27FB assuming it has the same design flaw?
Hi, I decided that I didn't want to tear everything apart, so I sealed the bottom of the moulding, from frame to frame, sealed the moulding on each end above my frame, and resealed the top of the moulding where it looked like it wasn't sealed enough. I haven't found any water damage, but I don't want any down the road.

The other way is to remove the moulding, seal all of the holes, and seal where the body sits on top of the frame at the rear bumper area. You may have to replace the chrome insert.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I did what Robert did, sealed between the bottom of the moulding and the alum "plate". It has been staying dry. Some folks say not to do this because it will not let water out if it gets in there? Sorry, I appreciate the advice, but waayyyy more water seems to be getting in, than needs to get out. At some point I may go ahead and pull the moulding, clean off the Acryl R I used and seal behind the moulding, but then I think really, if it isn't leaking, why bother? Why make more work, I have enough to do in my life and spend enough time dinking around fixing cheapo RV systems (my fridge currently has a mystery, intermittent, short) and Airstream's second rate engineering problems (front step is pulling away from the frame, clear coat peeling). There, I said it ;-). Of course these are all OUR problems, we don't maintain the trailers, just ask AS.

I have said this in other threads, if you have an AS like mine, with carpet EVERYWHERE, under EVERYTHING, I would pull/cut out the carpet in every area where it is not necessary (in the rear trunk, side storage compartments, under the couch, in the water pump area, etc. etc. (depending on your model). My rear leak would have been found way earlier if the PO didn't have carpet in there hiding things. Now when I am messing about in the trailer (see previous dinking around comment) I can see if the plywood looks good around the outside of MOST of the trailer.

Sorry to hear about folks problems on such new equipment, it is inexcusable on Airstreams part to let these same leaks show up in multiple generations of trailers.

BTW, I think Capt. Evil is right, AS should by a Sealtech and test every trailer.

Ok I'm done....:-)
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Wow, this issue is still happening - I would have believed by now that AS would have cured this leak issue. Insert big frown face here.

Really, they just sell these to last the warrenty period - then it's your problem.

How many $6000 floor repair jobs do you have to do before you ask the designers if there is an issue......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
I've just posted an update on my website chronicling my dealings with Airstream and my rotten 07 Safari. The issue has not been resolved yet, and I think it is important for people to know how Airstream and Thor are responding to the situation. Take a look and spread the word:

The Silver Snail :: FLOOR ROT IN 2007 AIRSTREAM
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Why AIRSTREAM does not deserve the love

I just filed a complaint against Airstream at Consumer Watchdog. I encourage you to do the same if you've got a failed late-model Airstream with floor rot and other warranty issues. Here's a link to the site:

Create Consumer Complaint | Consumer Watchdog
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
I will also be filing a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Please, let us all know how this works out. There are many who have really taken this hit in the pocket for this issue.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #137
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Isn't there something in the US called the "Lemon Law"? Something to do with vehicles that have an inordinate quantity of defects gives you the right to a refund?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Sorry to hear about your problem trailer but I must be missing something. Airstream offered you 100% of your purchase price on your 5 year old AS against the purchase of a new Airstream. You feel they should also give you a discount.
I think the offer given to you is more than fair. You have used your 07 for 5 years and Airstream are giving you all the money you paid back.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'd be unhappy too. This is what courts are for. Here it only costs around $30,000 to go to circuit court . . . to win. X3 that to lose.

My rule is to never go to court against somebody with more money than me. Sorta like drag racing.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Naper, I'd had my trailer for 3.5 years when I discovered the floor rotted out. Offering me the full purchase price in trade and then jacking up the price on a new unit to 12k over actual value is crooked.