RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Don't know about my floor and haven't noticed any soft spots yet. At Gillette we had a problem with the front windows leaking. We had to keep a rag in the tray on the front window to try and soak up the water to keep it from over flowing into the trailer. We also had a constant drip leak at the top of the wrap around window that leaked inside the trailer.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Airstream did the right thing

It has been a long wait, but things are now moving toward a fair conclusion for my 2007 trailer. As you know from earlier threads, I had extensive rot under the dinette in a trailer that was almost always stored under cover...just a small number of rainstorms and washings caused this, although we have traveled perhaps 12000 miles in it. It was 9 months out of warranty.

I took it first to our local dealer, a new A/S dealer with not a lot of A/S experience. They came up with a very high estmate for repairs, probably because of their inexperience. A/S at that time said I could bring it to Jackson Center and they would pay for half the repairs, a non-starter for me because that is over 1000 miles away. So there I sat, fuming, and with seemingly no options and an expensive repair.

Thanks to the Forum, I found that we had an experienced A/S repair shop here in the Houston area...Bob Jones RV Repair. Not a dealer, but with decades of experience. They came up with a repair estimate that was similar to the number of hours that A/S had estimated, and then offered to call A/S for funding support. After a week or two, A/S agreed to work with them. I just heard from A/S customer service. They agree to pay for the entire subfloor repair, leaving me with just the vinyl. The repair shop will replace the vinyl under the dinette at my expense...to replace it all would of course be a major item involving removing all the furniture in the trailer, which is why I suppose A/S won't go that far. That seems fair to me.

I asked some questions of the rep at A/S. The RV repair shop had verified that there were leaks in the rear windows at the mitres, but the shop (and A/S) also suspected that the rear bumper trim was also a place of leakage. The rep agreed that A/S had not sealed that area at the factory, and he said that "this is why we are paying for the repair." My gut feeling is that A/S realizes that there are design problems with their sealant applications in the bumper areas of some recent trailers. An earlier poster mentioned that A/S is now applying sealant to the bumper area; mine had none there.

I asked him what to do about leaks going forward. The repair shop will reseal the windows (at the mitres, I suppose) and seal the area under the trim where the shell meets the bumper. A/S recommends either Acryl-R or Sikaflex (not sure of my spelling), and they carry Acryl-R on their sales site. They recommend that the sealant be checked once or twice a year, and if necessary that the sealant be removed and replaced. They also recommend that the window mitre joints also be checked this often, and resealed if necessary with the same sealant.

There are some learnings here. If you have a similar vintage trailer as mine with a similar problem, and are using a high-priced local shop for your repair estimate, it doesn't matter whether they are an A/S dealer or not....A/S will likely not pay for that. Unless you want to go to Ohio, you must find a reasonably priced repair shop that has a track record with A/S. At least, that is what it took in my case.

I'm glad that A/S stepped up to the plate on this....I was ready to sell the trailer and move on. Good luck with yours!

This should be my last post on this, unless their are unforseen hiccups (or questions).
glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Glad things are working out but....Airstream says to check the rear seal a couple of times a year! Don't you have to remove the trim to do that and then re-rivet it back on? Are they nuts? Anyway, I hope things work out for you and it gets squared away.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
I went back to Jackson Center this past week to pick up our camper. The folks there did an outstanding job fixing the the camper. The leak was fixed. ( no sealent) the wood was replaced, and new flooring installed. They also had to remove interior panels to replace wet insulation. I am very happy with the quality of work. The fellow who did the repair has worked there for 40 years and knows his stuff. He is a pro! I might add that the service rep who took on my issue was a pro as well. I am out the time and expence of going 840 mile to Jackson Center twice, but in the end I feel the camper is better than when it was new. Thanks to the service department for doing a great job.
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Another possible water intrusion area I noticed: The rear (all for that matter) running lights are a tight fit into the chrome base, where there is a gasket. The lenses take a little wiggling and pressure to "snap" into a seated position. I found two which were not seated into the base and had quite a bit of water in them. If they fill to a point where water can run into the hole in the shell where the wires pass through, there is a direct channel for water to run between the skins o the floor.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I got a call from AS yesterday and they are covering our repairs except for the vinyl flooring. I am so glad that they are stepping up to the plate on this issue, not because of the cost, but because of their reputation and resale value.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
I got a call from AS yesterday and they are covering our repairs except for the vinyl flooring. I am so glad that they are stepping up to the plate on this issue, not because of the cost, but because of their reputation and resale value.
Did AS ever give you an "official" reason for the rot? Is it indeed the lack of sealant at rear bumper/wall of camper? If they put something in writing that DESCRIBES THE SOURCE OF THE WATER LEAK then I'd love to see that!

Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Nothing official, just they found the damage and will be covering it....except for the vinyl. I am having everything just put back in original condition and will wait 6 months to see of the "fix" holds. if all looks good, then I will put down new flooring.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
Nothing official, just they found the damage and will be covering it....except for the vinyl. I am having everything just put back in original condition and will wait 6 months to see of the "fix" holds. if all looks good, then I will put down new flooring.
"will be covering it"... That implies that AS feels that it is their fault (obviously); so, again, was there anything in writing that stated the SOURCE OF THE LEAK? If not, then could you ask AS pretty please for their opinion on where the leak was at (so you can watch out for it going forward of course).

Thanx, Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
9/16 Plant Tour Report

I tried to find out as much as I could on my tour yesterday.
Unfortunately, the only unit I could see with the moulding at the floor level not yet installed was a Classic. The classics do indeed have a 3/4 inch "lip" which rolls up to the vertical and is captured under the moulding on both the center fiberglass section as well as both plastic bumper end sections.
This lip was well sealed for the entire length. The only places where water could get through from the horizontal portion of the bumper would be at the joint between the 3 sections and they were well sealed.

I was assured that all models are sealed at the lower body/bumper area....but no visual confirmation.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The source of the leak at the rear may not be the bumper area, but anywhere above, running down inside the walls, and pooling there.

Also, we have to look at moving down the road on wet roads, even heavy wind-driven rain when parked. If water is covering a slight opening, with higher air pressure on the outside than on the inside, that water will be forced through the opening. Gravity be damned. If this is true, and I think it is, it may be good to sit out rainstorms when traveling.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The source of the leak at the rear may not be the bumper area, but anywhere above, running down inside the walls, and pooling there.

Also, we have to look at moving down the road on wet roads, even heavy wind-driven rain when parked. If water is covering a slight opening, with higher air pressure on the outside than on the inside, that water will be forced through the opening. Gravity be damned. If this is true, and I think it is, it may be good to sit out rainstorms when traveling.

Doug
Very true. An AS dealer, whom I have gotten to know recently, told me he believes the source of this issue is above the floor. He believes it's all related to windows on rear panos. He also said that we should watch the front corner shield hinge sealing. However, there has been so much evidence on the forum relative to bumper to body sealing, I thought it was worth asking and investigating as much as I could (which didn't turn out to be very well, as I couldn't see any units other than a Classic naked)
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Last Monday I went in to see my trailer, currently (still) undergoing repair for floor rot (see my previous posts). As some will recall, Airstream kindly agreed to pay for the floor repair (except for the vinyl).

By the time I arrived, the RV shop had stripped out the floor and had taken out the rear interior aluminum wall, exposing everything to inspection and a good water test....no pressure, just plain water sprayed on the exterior skin. All four mitre joints of the rear panos were leaking profusely; it didn't take long to get several cups of water inside. The water for the most part came down the inside of the exterior wall. Some came down the window, reaching the sill, where it finds a hole in the window sill and then continues down the interior of the exterior wall. The holes in the sill are beneath some interior trim, so none of that is visible normally. All these streams of water end up right at the edge of the plywood floor, on the inside of the exterior wall...no chance anyone could see it when the interior wall is there. Yikes! The repair folks are resealing the mitre joints, but my confidence in that for any length of time once it leaves the shop is not high (once burned, twice shy). We had a conversation about welding those pano mitre joints, which appears to be what A/S has done on the new 2010 trailers. I'm not sure what will be the course there, yet.

Some of the water was coming down the inside of one window, in an area normally hidden by the curtains. Someone, very likely NOT the factory, had seen that leak and attempted to paste over it with glop...at some time before the trailer was sold to me as "new." Also alarming was a leak along the bumper trim. This leak also had an after-factory look to it, as the leak was coming out of a screw hole, according to the repairman. The screws were added to help hold the bumper trim when it seems to have been removed and reinstalled. The factory only uses rivets there, again according to the repairman. It seems that someone was aware that there were leaks coming in, after it had left the factory. All signs seem to point to the dealer, but I don't know of course. All I know is that I received a damaged trailer. It was one of those end-of-season specials that had been sitting on the lot most of the season.

There was a sixth leak. Some water was coming in between the pano window 'glass' and the riveted frame that surrounds it...away from the mitres, along the bottom edge. That looks clearly like a factory defect. The repair folks are in the midst of recommending to A/S that that window be completely removed and resealed. I'm waiting to hear whether Jackson Center will support that too.

I'm happy that A/S is fixing the floor, hopeful that they will stand behind the other window leak, and scared pea green that these leaks will one day return.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Same model, same response. The dealer has had my unit for 5 weeks and just found the leaks. AS is going to do the repairs but not replace the vinyl. We have decided NOT to replace the flooring until we are absolutely sure that the leaks have been fixed. Maybe next year.

I highly doubt that this dealer as removed the inner walls to find the damage. I wish I had more confidence in their ability but they are the only game in Northern California.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #95
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Port Ludlow , Washington
27 FB Water Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenamoy View Post
Thanks for the post, ClancyBoy. Yet another couple of cases with the same problem--clearly originating at the Airstream factory.

I brought my A/S to a dealer this morning; they'll get to it early next week so no prognosis yet. I can say with certainty (and photos) that there was no factory installed sealant along the external base of the beltline trim--just along the top. That means that the only defense against major water leaks for water hitting the top of the horizontal bumper trunk surface would be a line of sealant underneath the beltline trim, along the hidden join between the trailer shell and the bumper trunk. This is precisely where there was no sealant on TennisBoy's trailer (see his first posts and photo). I will know the story on my trailer in a few days. The service agent, for what it is worth, shook his head and agreed that there is no way that this type of leak should be happening on a 2 and 1/2 year old trailer. Will keep you posted.
What happened, Glenamoy? I have a 2008 27FB Safari SE. I can see sealant at the top of the baseline trim, but none underneath. The skirt at the bottom of the trim extends below the joint between the body shell and the bumper trunk, so it is hard to see what is going on underneath. After a day's drive through through heavy rain in Ontario this week, I found wet carpet in the front - near the bed stand on the starboard side. It was being wicked up from the front storage closet. Must have a weak seal on the exterior door; carpeting in that area is a poor idea. After this trip I will tear out the carpet, tape the edges and put something better on the floor that is easier to use and maintain than carpet.
dpulling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I got my unit back yesterday and they did a real nice job in fixing it. They applied sealant on the mitered joints on that back windows and after reattaching the trim strip where the bumper meets the shell, applied (neatly I might add) sealant to the top and bottom of the trim. I can't see how there could be any ingress from water now. He said I should have them reseal the joints every 2 years and I will do that for sure. I will wait another season before I replace the vinyl, just to make sure. AS paid for all the repairs, as they should have.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
dpulling,
You can see my case develop if you go back and read my various posts in this thread, preferably read ALL the posts here, oldest to youngest. For me and some others it was the mitre joints; for others it seems to have been the bumper trim area. You may have time to save your plywood if you act. Tear out the carpet and let it dry out....while you take your trailer to the dealer. Remember that water can pool up under the plywood--there is some aluminum-foil looking insulation under there, and when the plywood was taken out of my unit and the walls water-tested, the water ran there and pooled. The repairman is drilling a few holes into that before he reinstalls the floor (just the insulation, not the belly pan). A/S is now repairing these leaks, as you can see (ditto for altamont). Make sure your dealer understands the issue...point him to this thread...and if he doesn't seem to be able to make a deal with A/S on fixing it, call A/S yourself or take it to another repair place.
It is worth pointing out that it was warm weather when my rot showed up....the mold and wood-eating fungus was encouraged by warm weather. If your unit stays cold now for the winter (you are in Washington State, your profile says), and your plywood stays damp inside through the winter, it may be next year before your rot appears. So don't be lulled into false security. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #98
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Baker , Florida
Thanks for your posts - you definitely saved my floor! I just bought a 2007 27' Safari less than a month ago & just happened to see this thread last week. I checked the floor after the first rain and sure enough - there was water at the edge of the floor that I would have never found otherwise.
lsuarch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Wow

After reading this thread, I rushed after work to my 2007 27FB Safari SE stored temporarily outdoors for the past 3 months, and resealed all four mitre joints on the rear panos. To date, there appears to be no water intrusion issues on the dinette floor under the vinyl.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
How to check for leakage?

As many others have stated this is a serious problem. I've looked at the mitre joints on the rear pano and they seem fine. As well, I've tapped on the floor under the dinette and it seems solid.

My question...what is the best way to determine if my 3 year old trailer has the leakage that seems to be so prevalent?

Thank you for a very informative thread.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote