RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #421
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kelvin, relax and enjoy your Airstream. You bought it used, fixed the prior owner's problems, tested for leaks. Go traveling and enjoy it. Keep testing for leaks on a regular schedule, you most probably will find one sooner or later. Fix it and let it rain.

I've gained a lot of confidence in this inspect regularly/repair as needed routine. To be honest though, I sure don't like the idea of towing this or any rv down the road in a driving rain. When I have had to do it, I get out the moisture test meter afterwards.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #422
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Rio Medina , Texas
Rotten floor due to water leak!

Kevin, my biggest problem has been dealing with both the local and Ohio customer service reps... No matter how you put it, the rotten floor situation needs to be addressed...when I started this thread, I thought it simply may be an isolated situation...Apparently not. Having said all of that, we love the unit, and have never thought of trading or changing...We simply try to avoid any service or maintenance from Airstream. By the way, we learned from long time owners that private RV/Trailer repairmen can do as good of a job, if not better...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TXMYTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #423
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TXMYTX:

"We simply try to avoid any service or maintenance from Airstream. By the way, we learned from long time owners that private RV/Trailer repairmen can do as good of a job, if not better..."

I tend to agree but there are some local Airstream dealers out there who are really good, and some local repairmen that are really bad. Airstream Service Center in Jackson Center, OH is as good as it gets, everything at hand, they do this expertly every day and know what they are doing. You make an appointment, take it too them on that day, they bring it in at 7 am and work on it while you wait or park it outside overnight in their free camping for you to use until 7 am the next day. This goes on until it's done, and you're on your way.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #424
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Rio Medina , Texas
I'm sure you're correct....But, especially for many of us the trip to Ohio is both expensive and time consuming. The problem starts before the trip to Ohio; in that, both the local and factory service department, immediately, takes the stance, " it needs to be proven " that the problem is a factory oversight...Of course, the problem is exacerbated even more when a long distance trip is involved. Bottomline ... I've had and used this unit enough to know there are certain weak points (mainly leaks ) that are common with other owners, and should be addressed locally without "company " approval, or without a long and expensive trip to Jackson.

TXMYTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #425
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
Depressing, yes. I have followed this forum daily for a long time with the intention of purchasing an Airstream. I must say that these issues with leaks, floor damage, corrosion, dealer service, etc (especially with newer units) are likely to change my mind. Sad!
Endodoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #426
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
TXMYTX ditto, fairly good trailer with major weaknesses, chief of which is AS Inc policy of selling pretty over quality bragging that so many are still on the road. Many are still on the road, but because a zillion AS owners invested in the "mystique" have maticuously sheltered, maintained, rebuilt, restored their trailers over the years because they love them, not because the current AS Inc is selling craftsmanship, quality, and standing behind their products.....even though they charge as if they are....I do like my trailer but it requires an investment of much more than the purchase price to keep it useable. We don't store it most of the year and vacation in it, we dont baby it, we tow it, and expect it to follow....don't think AS Inc really expects owners to do that...just my opinion, your mileage may differ.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #427
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
As a new and concerned AS owner, I've followed the 'leaking AS' threads closely for the past eight months. I've had my new-to-me unit leak-checked in Jackson Center, I've caulked and re-caulked, monitored floor moisture, added belly pan drains, and worried.

So far no new or old leaks detected.

One thing I've noticed in my reading is that leakage problems appear to be most common in particular years and models. I think it would be an excellent idea if a 'leaky AS register' thread were started, listing location of of the leak(s), together with Airstream year, S/N, model and length.

This would help owners of the most-affected models be extra aware of potential water intrusion problems, and might be useful data for a possible future presentation to Airstream Corporate.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #428
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
TXMYTX ditto, fairly good trailer with major weaknesses, chief of which is AS Inc policy of selling pretty over quality bragging that so many are still on the road. Many are still on the road, but because a zillion AS owners invested in the "mystique" have maticuously sheltered, maintained, rebuilt, restored their trailers over the years because they love them, not because the current AS Inc is selling craftsmanship, quality, and standing behind their products.....even though they charge as if they are....I do like my trailer but it requires an investment of much more than the purchase price to keep it useable. We don't store it most of the year and vacation in it, we dont baby it, we tow it, and expect it to follow....don't think AS Inc really expects owners to do that...just my opinion, your mileage may differ.

Well said!

I have to agree with you.

- evan

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #429
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
A 2004 25 International SS came up for sale at our local Camping World (trade in). We were interested in possibly switching from a 25FB to the SS due to the better living area. The first thing I checked was the storage area under the rear corner bed accessible from the access door at the rear bumper. I was able to lift up the vinyl and sadly there was water intrusion in the rear corner. Not sure if it was from the access door seal or the rub rail. The area was still damp and close to door it was soft. I was not able to determine if there was water intrusion under the other corner under the shower.

It looked you could repair it by letting it dry and then inject epoxy into it, pull the rub rail off and check for any caulking seal between the bumper and shell and seal it.

The unit appeared to have been stored outside and recently we had rain. If this leak had occurred long ago I would've thought the damage would've been more extensive so maybe it just developed over the last year.

There were already 2 deposits placed on the trailer despite it being listing on RVTrader for less than a day. We opted not to put a deposit since my wife and I didn't care for the cramped corner bath/bed arrangement. She didn't like the black cabinets compared to our hickory cabinets also.

So we will keep our Classic 25fb. We may look at a 28 if one comes available close to our location since its only 2 foot longer.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #430
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Bellevue , Washington
So sorry about your leak. We had one in our 06 Bambi last year and apparently it was coming from the "trunk" seal. We did not see any evidence of water intrusion until the floor was soft. We had the dealer fix ours to the tune of about $6000. From what I have read there are others who have taken their trailer back to the factory for assistance so that may be an option. Best of luck with it.
SheilaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #431
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My leak I am now quite sure was intrusion through the front storage compartment wither during very hard rain or while in tow

I have most if it dry now and no new resurgence after healthy doses of rain

I am putting in some extra weather stripping on that door to fix it

I feel lucky that this was all (I hope) it was but if you follow what airstream would advise you would perhaps never necessarily catch this if you were not prodding the subfloor with a moisture meter intermittently

Much of these headaches for owners ( or at least the very worst of it) would be mitigated if they informed all new owners now to survey floors for moisture

They don't

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #432
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Much of these headaches for owners ( or at least the very worst of it) would be mitigated if they informed all new owners now to survey floors for moisture
Building them right in the first place, backing them up with a meaningful guarantee, and providing stellar customer service when they don't meet AS allegedly high standards is too much to expect?

Have we all become that numb to poor quality and shoddy workmanship?
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #433

Currently Looking...
Hey folks. I’m a newbie here. I’m about to purchase my first airstream. I spent 6 years living out of an econoline with a band I toured with (towing a 7x14 utility trailer) so I’m no stranger to the road, but I’m new to airstream/trailer life.

My wife and I are moving from NY to CA and have decided to sell everything we own and live out of a trailer for the next few years. We’ve done a TON of research, which brought us to airstream, but I’ve got a dilemma with a deposit I put on a 2007 19’ Safari LS Bambi. I’m considering waiting for another used one from another year to come through the dealership after reading some horror stories about ’07 airstreams.

I understand (and am fully prepared) to be doing maintenance and working on a vehicle that I’m going to be living out of full time…but the rampant amount of floor rot stories I have found on 2007 models are really scary. That’s not the type of regular maintenance I’d like to be doing, ‘cause that means we’ll be doing hotel living…not airstream living. Bare in mind, I’m going to be on the other side of the country, far away from holding the dealership accountable. And since it’s used (and based on spotty history of customer service at headquarters) I won’t be counting on heading to the manufacturers either.

So here’s what I’m asking. If there’s any of you out there that bought new (or even used) airstreams (specifically 2007) and had floor rot issues, upon bringing it back to a dealer and going through all the repairs and nightmares, were you able to get your airstream to a point where this thing was stronger than when it left the manufacturer? Or did you give up and sell and move on to another year AS?

My other question…are there any of you out there with 2007 Safari Bambi’s that didn’t go through this? Even when I scan through the posts on this forum, just looking at the user info of everyone, I see so many more 70’s, ’04, ’05, and then ’09 and up. I’m frightened by this potential black cloud over the 2007 airstreams.

If there’s anyone out there who can help with this purchase, I’d greatly appreciate it.

I’m very sorry for the lengthy first post and I’d like to thank everyone here for already providing me with tons of reading material and homework that has truly been the most help out of anything I’ve searched. You have an incredible community here and I (fingers crossed) look forward to being an active contributor.

(also, I believe I posted in the right forum, but if there's a more accurate place for this post, please tell me. Thank you)
Rhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #434
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
I don't know whether 2007 is more prone to leaks. ( Mine is a 2008 & had the missing bumper sealing as well as missing caulk etc in other areas giving rise to leaks. )

If not for this forum I wouldn't have known to check under the vinyl flooring. I was able to catch my leak before rot had set in. After many, many hours of remediation and work I do believe that I have a reasonably water tight trailer.

I have ZERO faith in the factory's quality control; but, I do think that I & other motivated owners can do better and even fix the mess A/S made of the original build.

If you could get the dealer to pull off the belly band trim, pull down the belly sheathing and check the plywood moisture levels, you might he able to see whether your prospective unit has been affected by leaks...

- evan

Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #435
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
RUN, don't walk away from a 2006-2007-2008 AS.

The floor design is a latent defect, and you don't want to take the chance it will manifest itself on your watch. The manufacturer isn't going to help you when it does, and dealer repairs for this defect are exorbitantly expensive. Issues like this are why we have "lemon laws" for automobiles.

Wait for a newer model to come in. Make a leak/floor inspection part of any sales agreement. If the dealer won't do it, you know why.
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #436
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickel View Post
RUN, don't walk away from a 2006-2007-2008 AS.

The floor design is a latent defect, and you don't want to take the chance it will manifest itself on your watch. The manufacturer isn't going to help you when it does, and dealer repairs for this defect are exorbitantly expensive. Issues like this are why we have "lemon laws" for automobiles.

Wait for a newer model to come in. Make a leak/floor inspection part of any sales agreement. If the dealer won't do it, you know why.

I'm inclined to agree with you except to note that the defects are fixable.

If you aren't interested or wiling to fix them...then run.

-evan
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #437
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Once the caulking was done around under the bumper seal and I re-did the caulk around the rear pano windows, all leaks have stopped.

During a visit back to JC (out of warranty) they pulled the belly pan at the rear and the rub rail and re-caulked it at NO charge.

They wanted ~$350 to recaulk the back windows but I figured I was going to learn to do it myself and now was as good a time as any. It took an afternoon on the rear windows and there are no more leaks. It also looks pretty darned neat too.

I use the Sonin meter every month or so and the floor is now dry on our 2007 27FB .
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #438
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Warnings & Recalls

I think there are several issues on the table here.

I'm not sure that anyone has actually confirmed which model years are most affected by these sorts of leaks. It seems to be common in many model years outside of the 2006-2008 range so any potential Airstream buyer should be aware of this risk.

A/S should issue a proper recall and repair of all units affected by their lack of quality control. As I understand it, if they were an automobile manufacturer, they would have been obliged to have done this...long ago.

The good news though, as SilverCottage suggests, & in my own anecdotal experience, if you are willing and able, you can fix the problems and get on with using and enjoying your Airstream - just like you intended to in the first place.

-evan
Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #439
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I posted a while ago regarding the possibility of starting an AS leak compilation. There was no response at that time. Do you think it would be a good idea?

One thing I've noticed in my reading is that leakage problems appear to be most common in particular years and models. I think it would be an excellent idea if a 'leaking AS register' thread were started, listing location of of the leak(s), together with Airstream year, S/N, model and length.

This would help owners of the most-affected models be extra aware of potential water intrusion problems, and might be useful data for a possible future presentation to Airstream Corporate.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #440
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Buying a used trailer at 60% off the price of new can be worth the effort and repair of latent wood rot if caught early enough that it doesn't require a shell off frame and floor replacement. Or you can just buy new and wait for the leaks to appear.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote