RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #301
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I really want to see those window drains - I have the same problem!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #302
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
I really want to see those window drains - I have the same problem!
Thanks for the encouragement.

See here for a rundown of what I did. So far, it has worked for me:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ml#post1331898

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #303
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Well it's been 9 months since I dropped the pan, removed the reflectix and dried and epoxied the floor. I measured today and the rear floor was at 11% moisture and near the door was 16%. We've had some rain and plenty of dew every morning so I think we are doing OK!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #304
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Glad for your success! After that full belly pan I am happy for ya!

Btw, which epoxies did you choose?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #305
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
You would think they would issue a recall. It really makes you wonder if an Airstream is really built any better than the others doesn't it? They sure make you pay for it!
I couldn't agree more !
There is no excuse for poor quality control on Airstreams. They have built a reputation and developed a loyal customer base on that very principal. With all of the technology, I don't understand why they don't use a treated, sealed or rot resistant subfloor material. The Argosy Minuet's had an aluminum floor. Have there been any issues with those ?
Airstreams cost way too much to have these issues and it need to be addressed. Its a huge FLAW which will impact their reputation.
wzelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #306
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Glad for your success! After that full belly pan I am happy for ya!

Btw, which epoxies did you choose?
CPES Clear Penetrating Epoxy S,S,....Something...S.....S.....Sealant! thats it. Started out with 50% and 40% moisture. The whole sad tale with pictures begins on this thread 5 pages back on February 18 2013. Mine was we but wasn't the one with the full reservoir of water! That was an impressive video!

I dried everything top and bottom, coated with ethylene glycol (antifreeze) to kill any active spores in the wood then dried it again. Roughed up the wood with sandpaper and applied warm CEPS I purchased from a local hardware. Here's a link to the stuff I used:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...arm+CPES+Epoxy

Brad
Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #307
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Question about leaks. I am curious of common leaks in particular models- leak zones per se. I have concluded that in the 2000 to present, it seems that the areas mentioned on the forum are:

The panoramic windows
The rear bumper
The door

Are there other areas to watch for? Obviously a leak can potentially happen anywhere but since certain models share design elements, what are some commonalities? For example, my unit is an '06 Safari with the sofa, RV windows and front sofa that was made for about 20 years as a floor plan- including a 25' Classic like the Long Honeymoon couple has. Any particular areas of leaky interest? There hasn't been many posts of Safari RV windows leaking that I am aware.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #308
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
rodsterinfl, add awning support brackets to your list of leak prone areas. The awnings function as rain gutters directing water to their ends where it floods the support brackets as it pours down the side. Large pop rivets (or screws) used to hold the brackets and the awning bracket base will allow water to enter the trailer, run down between the wall, and under the vinyl floor spreading into the plywood subfloor.

The reason this does not show up in Airstream factory water testing is the awnings are installed after the water test.

You won't see it; as with all shell leaks of this type you can only find them in the floor by probing through the vinyl and into the plywood subfloor with a moisture test meter.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #309
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
rodsterinfl, add awning support brackets to your list of leak prone areas. The awnings function as rain gutters directing water to their ends where it floods the support brackets as it pours down the side. Large pop rivets (or screws) used to hold the brackets and the awning bracket base will allow water to enter the trailer, run down between the wall, and under the vinyl floor spreading into the plywood subfloor.

The reason this does not show up in Airstream factory water testing is the awnings are installed after the water test.

You won't see it; as with all shell leaks of this type you can only find them in the floor by probing through the vinyl and into the plywood subfloor with a moisture test meter.
Hi, I consider the Safari windows trouble free. My Safari leaked at the front Fantastic Vent. I had to reseal or re-caulk the vent and re-caulk my tank vent. I also tightened my air conditioner mounting bolts. Mine seemed to be loose, but be careful to not over tighten them, the torque is very low.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #310
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
Wish we had seen this thread before buying our 2007 Safari FB. It had been in covered storage for the past few years, looked like new, had a complete service history, and all the mechanicals checked out fine. Now, less than 6 months after taking the plunge into AS ownership, we just discovered a soft spot in the floor under the dinette. From the discussion here, it sounds like we'll be just one of many 2007 owners left holding the bag for an Airstream latent defect.

Our flooring shows no evidence of water staining; I only discovered the soft floor when I removed the dinette to install a blind over the flat rear window.

Question for the community is whether I can pull the furniture; roll the flooring back and replace the rotted plywood, and re-install the vinyl?. I hate to cut it up; it's still in great shape and shows absolutely no evidence of water damage. Besides, where do you stop- it would have to be replaced all the way up to the bedroom...

Anyone have any experience or advice to share regarding vinyl flooring replacement? I'm actually at AlumaFiesta now, will have to pull the molding when I get home and see what's going on with the seal there. Windows were all checked and re-sealed as necessary by the previous owner; we've not seen any evidence of leaks from these.

Thanks.
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #311
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickel View Post
Wish we had seen this thread before buying our 2007 Safari FB. It had been in covered storage for the past few years, looked like new, had a complete service history, and all the mechanicals checked out fine. Now, less than 6 months after taking the plunge into AS ownership, we just discovered a soft spot in the floor under the dinette. From the discussion here, it sounds like we'll be just one of many 2007 owners left holding the bag for an Airstream latent defect.

Our flooring shows no evidence of water staining; I only discovered the soft floor when I removed the dinette to install a blind over the flat rear window.

Question for the community is whether I can pull the furniture; roll the flooring back and replace the rotted plywood, and re-install the vinyl?. I hate to cut it up; it's still in great shape and shows absolutely no evidence of water damage. Besides, where do you stop- it would have to be replaced all the way up to the bedroom...

Anyone have any experience or advice to share regarding vinyl flooring replacement? I'm actually at AlumaFiesta now, will have to pull the molding when I get home and see what's going on with the seal there. Windows were all checked and re-sealed as necessary by the previous owner; we've not seen any evidence of leaks from these.

Thanks.
Mine's a 2008 and the wood was a bit soft but not rotted. I pulled my furniture and floor and belly pan but it took a few weeks to dry and treat the wood. I used the heat pump and a dehumidifier for a few weeks and then treated the wood. The floor went back down OK but you need to really be careful not to bend and then step on it because it will crack on the crease. I heated the trailer up quite a bit when I laid the floor back down. My long winded story starts on page 17 of the thread and continues into page 18. You'll need to pull the belly pan and slit the reflectix to let the water out. You can't just dry it from the top.

Brad
Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #312
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickel View Post

Thanks.
We had the identical issue and after getting JC to pull the rub rail and actually put caulking in above the bumper it has been fine. Note I said "put caulking" NOT replace, because there simply wasn't any caulking to keep water sitting on the bumper from wicking into the end grain of the floor under the dinette.

I pulled the vinyl back about 3 feet and once I was 100% sure the floor was dry, I treated it with Rot Doctor. The floor is firm now and hopefully with the leak fixed, I won't have the problem again.

I have no experience doing a partial replacement on the plywood so I will let others here weigh in on that.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #313
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ormond Beach , Florida
Water Damage

I had the same issue with my 06 Safari and had it repaired by an RV restoration company in Orlando. My floor rot was so bad that they had to replace a section of the subfloor. They also removed all of the exterior trim at the wall/floor joint and put caulking where it should have been in the first place. They also resealed all of the exterior penetrations like the power outlets, cable connection, etc. I'm attaching a few photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06-trailer-damage-4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	205028   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-trailer-damage-5.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	205029  

Name:	06-trailer-damage-6.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	205030   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-trailer-damage-13.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	205031  

rharbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #314
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
moisture meter suggestion

Would appreciate your suggestions on a make and model for a moisture meter. We had floor rot in our 07 Safari repaired at JC (see previous thread) and I want to monitor this issue. Folks have previously recommended the Sonin 50211 meter on Amazon which has the probe at the end of a line which attaches to the meter.....checking to see if you are still satisfied with this probe or might recommend another. Thanks in advance. Tom
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #315
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I recently purchased a Sonin 50211, I like the fact that the probes are on a 'telephone cord' cable. Makes it easier to use, IMO. My initial testing of the unit shows it to work very well. If you purchase one, gently sharpen the two probes with a file, the 'out of the box' probes are a little blunt for punching through linoleum. Be careful when filing, the metal is soft.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #316
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've been using the Sonin 50211 during quarterly inspections of our Airstream for two years. I have found four leaks where water has run down inside the shell, under the vinyl flooring, and spread into the plywood subfloor.

There leaks were below the lower awning support brackets (leaking rivets and base), below the entrance door hinges (loose hinge screw), inside left A-frame (gap in sealant), and below rear window (latch not tight enough).

Without this tool, I would have made the mistake of calling our trailer leak-free because there was absolutely no other indication of water. The Sonin is inexpensive, has an easy to use probe, and has been effective for us. I sharpened the probes to go through vinyl easier and make small holes, which almost self-heal.

Pick the moisture detection meter you want; it should be a part of your Airstream tool kit and used during a calendar inspection cycle. Also using it after a particularly heavy rain event or towing in the rain will be especially useful, may give you confidence or lead to a simple leak repair saving your floor.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #317
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I've been using the Sonin 50211 during quarterly inspections of our Airstream for two years. I have found four leaks where water has run down inside the shell, under the vinyl flooring, and spread into the plywood subfloor.

There leaks were below the lower awning support brackets (leaking rivets and base), below the entrance door hinges (loose hinge screw), inside left A-frame (gap in sealant), and below rear window (latch not tight enough).

Without this tool, I would have made the mistake of calling our trailer leak-free because there was absolutely no other indication of water. The Sonin is inexpensive, has an easy to use probe, and has been effective for us. I sharpened the probes to go through vinyl easier and make small holes, which almost self-heal.

Pick the moisture detection meter you want; it should be a part of your Airstream tool kit and used during a calendar inspection cycle. Also using it after a particularly heavy rain event or towing in the rain will be especially useful, may give you confidence or lead to a simple leak repair saving your floor.
Thanks, gentlemen. Appreciate the feedback.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #318
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Janesville , California
2007 23 foot Safari with forward water damaged floor

Having just pulled out the linoleum and cut pieces out of the plywood that were positively rotten from water damage, I feel for you guys. I don't know if moisture collects between the linoleum and the plywood or what but I have to replace it. I am impressed with the sawdust and other crap that the Airstream factory assemblers don't bother to remove that's found only after removing the fixtures. I love my little Airstream but don't think I'd spend the money again on such shoddy workmanship. Thank God it's aluminum or it wouldn't have lasted this long.
Rhrezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #319
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhrezo View Post
Having just pulled out the linoleum and cut pieces out of the plywood that were positively rotten from water damage, I feel for you guys. I don't know if moisture collects between the linoleum and the plywood or what but I have to replace it. I am impressed with the sawdust and other crap that the Airstream factory assemblers don't bother to remove that's found only after removing the fixtures. I love my little Airstream but don't think I'd spend the money again on such shoddy workmanship. Thank God it's aluminum or it wouldn't have lasted this long.

Yes. It was quite a shock for me to see all the leftover garbage & scraps left behind by the assembly team. Surely it wouldn't take that much to run a shop vac over the unit before laying floors & installing the Cabinets? OTOH, at least it is put together with screws & plywood rather than the stick & staple on OSB of most RV's.

It is disappointing. Having virtually rebuilt my own Airstream, I feel happier that this time it was done right.... (I hope)

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #320
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
Not for the squeamish...

As I mentioned, we had no evidence of a water leak under the dinette- vinyl looked good fromt he top side, no water on the walls, no odor...
until I found a soft spot under the dinette while kneeling to install a blind over the rear window.

Armed with all the insight here on the forum documenting the repairs others have undertaken, I took the plunge this afternoon and pulled the furniture and vinyl...here's the first peek:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first peek underneath- not good.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	205407  
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote