Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Need advice on trailer length for first AS

We have narrowed our search for a preowned 25 ft safari
We like any floor plan that puts a couch at the end of the trailer

What are the major pros and cons of the 28 ft vs the 25
Both offer the couch on the end
Will a 28 hold its value like the 25 does
Appears to be many more 25's vs the 28
Thanks for the help
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Used 25's seem to sell like hotcakes.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
CRH- That may be because the owners are moving up to a 28.

Three feet or so is a big difference if you spend much time inside (wet climates) or need more storage area. There aren't that many cons to going bigger... I can only give you one which is owning an undersized tow vehicle.

Our 28 hasn't kept us out of any campgrounds, it tows beautifully, and moving down is out of the question for us.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have you owned / towed before? Will either fit your space needs inside? Is bed/bath/living area ok? What condition is each in? Same year?

Why is owner selling? Trade in?

Depreciation? Yes. But original owner probably absences biggest hit. Futur depreciation...depends somewhat on how maintained... And future direction of the industry. Right now, AS is building as fast as they can. Will this ride end? Who knows...

Basically, see if you can give us more about your expectations. BTW, NADA stands for "nada" as in NO, useless!!! This is an emotional decision... Strip that away and look at what fits you so you have the least reason to dislike it... No reason to keep paying taxes each time you swap.

Let us know more.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Like the saying goes..

"Go big or go home".

All other things being equal, the more space the better.

If you have some limitations on things like park space, tow vehicle, etc., you may need a smaller AS.

I don't think anyone ever complained of having too much space.

But some tow vehicles can't handle large Airstreams. Maybe your favorite park doesn't have a space large enough.

Me, I'd get a new tow vehicle and pick a new favorite park. And I'd go 30'.

But that's me.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My first travel trailer was a 28' white box trailer.
My second (and final) travel trailer is my 30' Airstream.
You can't tell the difference in length towing, but the longer trailer has more cabinets, drawers, pantry, wardrobe, and walk-around room.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Scottsdale , Arizona
Best stay small if it is just 2 people. The bigger you get the harder for maneuvering in tight spaces which you'll find yourself in all to soon. If you are not experienced in handling such length's, then go small until you have mastered that. Then if you find you need 2 feet more make that call. TOW Vehicle IS CRUCIAL to being under powered and underrated for tow capacity. 3/4 ton P/U or SUV should handle it. Anything less your asking for problems and are white knuckling it with your life and others on the road. I can't tell you how many people I have met this month alone going on the road that have never hauled. But think their 1/2 ton will do the job. Don't be stupid!! Insurance will judge accordingly after the police decide you had the wrong setup to safely tow. Nothing wrong with having more vehicle towing capacity than what you are hauling. Rather than pushing the limit of the tow vehicles ability to handle emergency stops. Be sure you have a brake controller installed properly that WORKS!!! You WILL NEED IT FOR SURE!
BFSSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Our 23' if great as a weekender. As we begin to think about going on a caravan or two and spending more dedicated time out we will need the additional space and also a dedicated bed area. That said I bet there are plenty of weekenders out there with Classic Models and plenty of long term long distance travelers with Bambi's. No (trailer or TV) decision is forever but in general I hear people say they wish they had gone one size larger
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I traded a 23' Hi'Lo for a 25' Ft .FC, for more room and comfort.
Found out that that 'East-West' bed was hard to get in/out of, and storage was minimal.
By summer's end I gave the 25' 'Cloud back and took a 30' 'Cloud.
Good choice; comfortable, nice 'North-South' bed, plenty of storage; and THIS TIME the wife is happy.
Tows easy with Ford F-150 Ecoboost.
This one is definately a keeper.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Gilbert , Arizona
We strongly considered a 27' International Signature, a beautiful trailer, but opted for the 30' Classic. I don't think there is a big difference between a 25' and the 27'-30' when it comes to limitations as to where you can go. We take care when towing but hardly even notice the 30' is back there. I don't think a 25'-27' would make much of a difference for us. (TV is a Ram 2500HD Cumins). And we have yet to find a place we want to go where we cannot take the 30'.
holmesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Atlanta , Georgia
Hello and welcome -

We recently had a decision: have our 1972 23 twin restored or buy a newer and larger unit. After consideration, we selected to invest in a restoration and stay with the 23.
Here is why:
- tow vehicle remains the same. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee pulls like the camper isn't there (except for the gas mileage!!!). Just because you can tow something doesn't mean you should, so I like more margin with my tow vehicle size and power.
- I store inside and my rental space is 24'... 25' or greater and I would have had to rent 2 spaces (nearly double monthly cost)
- We like unplanned stops (food, shopping, tourist, gas, bathroom). I can park most anywhere with the 23 and get into most gas pumps
- State and National Parks are our favorite vacation spots and I've never had a problem finding a place to camp with the 23
- Its polished and we love it! but I don't want another foot to keep polished!
- We take less therefore pack less, and clean-up less.
I'm sorry not to have experience specific to your 25 or 28 question.
Good luck - let us know what you decide!
silvercomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
We like any floor plan that puts a couch at the end of the trailer.
We have a 25 ft FC and are looking to upgrade to 28 so that we can have the couch at the end. Our 25 has a dinette at the end and I've never seen one that doesn't.

Just to be clear, we are looking for separate dining and living areas and that requires 28 ft. Please educate me if I have this wrong. Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I hate dinettes. That is one thing I despise in most SOBs. They have a dinette and if they have a couch, it is usually uncomfortable. I am glad my 25 ft does not have a dinette and has a pretty comfy couch.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
CRH

Reference the "hate dinettes". When inside where/how do you eat meals. Thx

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
We have narrowed our search for a preowned 25 ft safari
We like any floor plan that puts a couch at the end of the trailer

What are the major pros and cons of the 28 ft vs the 25
Both offer the couch on the end
Will a 28 hold its value like the 25 does
Appears to be many more 25's vs the 28
Thanks for the help
DM Becke, First of all I would not buy a new AS because the quality is not there.Any AS built after 2002 is not as good as those before, I have a 31' and it's much more stable on the road than the short ones and much easier to back up than the short ones as well, I travel solo and like the fact that I have the extra room when I invite people over.
If I were looking for a replacement I would look for an older 31' refurbished professionally. CanAm RV told me they could do mine all up for about $15,000 I'm getting it done a bit at a time but it is fully serviceable the way it is.
I have towed it to Birmingham AL, Whitehorse YK and Berwick LA with no problems,.
And it doesn't leak! Good luck hope you find the perfect AS !
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
DM Becke, First of all I would not buy a new AS because the quality is not there.Any AS built after 2002 is not as good as those before, I have a 31' and it's much more stable on the road than the short ones and much easier to back up than the short ones as well, I travel solo and like the fact that I have the extra room when I invite people over.
If I were looking for a replacement I would look for an older 31' refurbished professionally. CanAm RV told me they could do mine all up for about $15,000 I'm getting it done a bit at a time but it is fully serviceable the way it is.
I have towed it to Birmingham AL, Whitehorse YK and Berwick LA with no problems,.
And it doesn't leak! Good luck hope you find the perfect AS !
For what it's worth, my AS is 2014 and the quality is outstanding. So I wouldn't generalize it like that.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Here is our experience and logic. We started our retirement working at Yellowstone. We were there for 5 months every year for 9 years. We had a large 33' 5th wheel that sat in one place all 5 months. Then we decided to quit working and travel more. Our choice was a 25 ft. Airstream for the ease of towing. It was the right choice for us. Two people and a tiny dog.
I'll make another suggestion. At first we hated the booth. Too hard to get in and out of. I took the table top to a cabinet shop and they made one 9" narrower. Made a tremendous difference. It no longer works for a fold down bed, but then ours is a two person trailer. No sleep overs.

Hobo
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
twenty three works for us

We bought a 23 foot back about six years ago, and have never felt crowded, even when we were stuck in rainy areas. It has plenty of room for the two of us with our two cats, and fits on lots of National forest roads that twist through places. We love the layout of the 25's, but also love having our tow vehicle be our daily driver (Mercedes Diesel SUV). That is what worked for us, and 23 foot back bedroom has the disadvantage of the smaller bed, but romance is not dead!!!!!
It has to fit you and your preferences. We often spend close to five months a year in it, and three to four months at a stretch. It works for us, and our driveway is just 23 feet long, so for summer weekends we can store it at home. For longer storage, we have a farmer nearby who allows us to use his shed. Smaller allows you to go further into wild places, but does compromise your space.
It is all determined by what you want.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint CHarles , Missouri
Private vs National/State Parks

I do not have an airstream yet but have the same question about length. I've spent a fair amount of time checking the National Parks and National Forest Campgrounds,(much cheaper if a senior) and find some that have few or no spaces for trailers over 25 ft. Private parks seem to be able to accommodate nearly any size, but you pay for all the extra's. The web page recreation.gov has alot of details on site length restrictions.
ggreen63304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #20
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
CRH

Reference the "hate dinettes". When inside where/how do you eat meals. Thx
My couch has a short table that folds up on the left . The right side has a long table folds up and also extends. .. Three can sit in the couch and eat. 2 more can sit in folding chairs on the other side.