Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Talking Just Purchased 2007 23' Safari SE w/LS

We just closed the deal yesterday at Bates RV near Tampa, FL. Got a good price from them and great service from our sales person Debra Lenke. We'll be picking it up on December 8 and do a little shakedown cruise at a KOA near Walt Disney World before going home.

Sounds like there are a few of us who just made this step. Lets keep this forum going.

We are hoping to retire in early 2007, then start doing some extended travel. Would like to visit New England in the fall of 2007. Anyone have any tips on getting campgrounds up there during the leaf peeper season?

Randy
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Congratulations. What a great way to spend your retirement time. We stayed at Fort Summit KOA, is that the KOA you are going to? I hear Fort Wilderness is very nice too.

We stayed at Blackwoods campground in Acadia if you want to try some boondocking. There were lots of private parks around too. Never having been that far NorthEast before we really loved the area.

http://www.acadiamagic.com/Blackwoods.html

Hope to see pictures of your new AS and your travels. Good luck!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome and best of luck with your new baby!

There's a sizable Florida coming up right after the first of the year in Santa Rosa Beach (between Panama City and Pensacola). This would be a great event for you debut your new baby to an Airstream crowd. We would love to have you.

Check it out on the string, Florida get-together.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Congratulations Randy… nice choice!
I’ve been researching this for quite some time.
And now that my eye is recovering from cataract surgery last Thursday…
It’s time to do a little holiday shopping…
Or perhaps a work order to Santa’s Workshop in Ohio…
For a 2007 23’ Safari SE LS with Solar Panels.
I’d like to know what options were included in your trailer.
While you wait for yours, you might prepare a check-list…
And get familiar with what to look for during Inspection Walk Through.
See slowolf’s check-list, page 3 of 5cats’ "We ordered a ’07 Safari SE".
Happy Holidays!

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Congratulations. What a great way to spend your retirement time. We stayed at Fort Summit KOA, is that the KOA you are going to? I hear Fort Wilderness is very nice too.

We stayed at Blackwoods campground in Acadia if you want to try some boondocking. There were lots of private parks around too. Never having been that far NorthEast before we really loved the area.

http://www.acadiamagic.com/Blackwoods.html

Hope to see pictures of your new AS and your travels. Good luck!
We tried to get into Fort Wilderness, but they were booked. We're staying at the Kissimmee/Orlando KOA, which is just east of the WDW park entrance on US-192. It's kind of in the middle of the tourist area, but since this is our initial use of the unit, there are plenty of stores around in case we forgot something.

Randy
Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Congratulations Randy… nice choice!
I’ve been researching this for quite some time.
And now that my eye is recovering from cataract surgery last Thursday…
It’s time to do a little holiday shopping…
Or perhaps a work order to Santa’s Workshop in Ohio…
For a 2007 23’ Safari SE LS with Solar Panels.
I’d like to know what options were included in your trailer.
While you wait for yours, you might prepare a check-list…
And get familiar with what to look for during Inspection Walk Through.
See slowolf’s check-list, page 3 of 5cats’ "We ordered a ’07 Safari SE".
Happy Holidays!

Bill
Bill,

My research went like this:

We started looking at a 19' Bambi because we wanted something small that we could pull back into National Forest Service campgrounds without too much difficulity. We decided though, that the 19' was a little too small for the extended travel we are planning (Florida to Alaska in 2008). We were looking and talking with several delears here in the Southeast in person and by phone and Internet.

During our search I learned that for the distance we were planning, two axles is better and safer than one (also more cargo capacity as discussed in another thread in this forum), so that rejected the new 20' units. We also tossed the 22' because we didn't want only a dinette to sit at on a no-travel day.

Pat saw a 23' and fell in love with the kitchen. We have a winner, two axles, plenty of storage, good cargo capacity, a nice big sofa to lounge on, and not too big to set up in the forest. Now what options do we want?

I decided that the LS upgrade was essential. There are so many good things in that package that Airstream should make it standard equipment. We looked at several units with and without the SE upgrade. We chose a unit with the SE upgrade for several reasons: the decor lighting, the added "skylight" windows, the aluminum blinds, the wrap-around windows. We also thought the interior aluminum skin would cut down on any mold or mildew issues, since our trailer will be in storage here in Florida when not in use. The exterior looks a little sharper too, with the Classic/International style windows. We also wanted the L-Lounge because that gives you an additional set of drawers in the galley area.

The unit we picked is equiped with these options:
1. Audio/Video Upgrade w/ 19" TV
2. L-Lounge
3. Safari LS Upgrade
4. Special Edition Upgrade
The interior is Midnight Sun, and we're having the dealer install the Bi-Fold Range Cover.

We're also having the dealer install a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and an Equal-i-zer hitch. We were told that the Hensley Arrow hitch was overkill for a 23' trailer and we didn't hear many recommendations on the Reese hitches.

Our unit is at Bates RV now, but because of the Thanksgiving holiday and a business trip, December 8th is as soon as we can get it. I'll post some pictures after we pick it up, and report on the experience. I've started my checklist as you suggested.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Looks like we did similar research, made similar choices with similar rationale.
You described my ideal 23’ Safari!
But I also want the factory Solar Upgrade Pkg., plus an additional panel…
So I’ll have 2, 53-watt panels, 2 Glassmatt batteries, and Charge Controller Display.

Other options that I want include:
600-watt inverter so that we can watch that 19" HD LCD Sony TV when boondocking.
Full-awning Pkg. (3 sides) for maximum shade options here in the West!
Two Fantastic Fans
Omit the Exterior Decal Pkg. (wide stripe reportedly deteriorates over time)
Standard Safari graphics O.K.
Equalizer 1000 lb. WD Hitch (highly recommended)

Thank you for sharing your research and experience with us.
Happy Holidays!
Bill
Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
bellevue , Washington
Yahoo

Congrats on your new addition, I have seen the 23' Safari LS trailer and love it it. What wonderful stories you will both have in your perfect trailer.
Happy retirement.
Cheers Angela
missangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 AM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Other options that I want include:
600-watt inverter so that we can watch that 19" HD LCD Sony TV when boondocking.Bill
hi bill

my understanding is with the factory inverter only one outlet? can be utilized.

the 19" sony takes less than 90 watts as i recall....

i regularly watch mine boondocking with an a 175watt inverter that will plug into any of the 12 outlets...

i've got 2 of these one from radio shack and another from best buy..less than 30$ each.

xantrex is considered by many as the leader in this inverter technology.

i think wheel interested is using a 400 watt model they produce that is under 60$ to watch the same 19" sony lcd tv...

you might pm her or search her posts....

here is the website for xantrex....

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/19/p/1/pt/29/product.asp

they have lots of solar enhancements too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Yes, 2air’, the factory 600-watt inverter optional outlet is the fifth outlet in the cluster of outlets over the counter and next to the wall where the TV is mounted.
But if you needed to run an AC appliance elsewhere when boondocking, well…
Thanks for the information and tip!
And so the research continues…
I’ll follow-up on the leads… and maybe save some money…
For something really important…
Like a pair of flamingos!
Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-20-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Inverters consume power - the bigger the converter, the more power it consumes. A converter sized for the wattage of the device you want to power is a good choice. You might end up with more than one inverter.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I purchased my new Airstream from an RV dealer near Tampa exactly 3 years ago. Their price was the best in the USA - by far. In summary:

- At that time they had never heard of an Equal-i-zer hitch, which is okay... I bought one on the Internet and installed it myself.

- Make sure your "new" trailer is really new... It may have been used as the outlot outhouse. Open the black tank dump valve right there on their lot. Stand back and see what comes out - hopefully nothing.

- Look for corrosion - rusty frame, filiform corrosion in the aluminum, rusty license plate holder, anything, everything. Perhaps the trailer was on their lot for many months, or perhaps the employees have been using it at the beach on weekends.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
We bought our Bambi from Bates

Randy -

We also purchased our trailer from Bates almost 2 years ago (May/2005) and we were very pleased with our sales rep and their service techs. I hope you have a similar experience.

I read your decision making thought process and it seems very logical. I am sure that you'll be happy with your new trailer. We have enjoyed many trips with our 19' Bambi over the past year + and now we can't imagine life without it!

Post pictures after you pick it up! Oh, and you might want to name your trailer - many of the forum members name their tow vehicle and trailer. We lovingly refer to ours as the "Bambino", although it's not an "official" name. I think my husband would think I was loony if I openly suggested that we name our trailer.
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Bill,

We considered a unit up in SC that had the solar panels. I read several posts here both plus and minus on the panels. Here in the East sunny days aren't as reliable as in the West, so it probably wouldn't be that valuable here. I can always install it afterwards if we want, as the unit is prewired for solar.

The rig also has the graphite counter tops which Pat thought would be easer to keep clean as you said in your Ideal 23' posting.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
Randy -

We also purchased our trailer from Bates almost 2 years ago (May/2005) and we were very pleased with our sales rep and their service techs. I hope you have a similar experience.

I read your decision making thought process and it seems very logical. I am sure that you'll be happy with your new trailer. We have enjoyed many trips with our 19' Bambi over the past year + and now we can't imagine life without it!

Post pictures after you pick it up! Oh, and you might want to name your trailer - many of the forum members name their tow vehicle and trailer. We lovingly refer to ours as the "Bambino", although it's not an "official" name. I think my husband would think I was loony if I openly suggested that we name our trailer.
Desidou,

Several others have suggested naming the trailer (and also the TV). We're thinking about it.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I purchased my new Airstream from an RV dealer near Tampa exactly 3 years ago. Their price was the best in the USA - by far. In summary:

- At that time they had never heard of an Equal-i-zer hitch, which is okay... I bought one on the Internet and installed it myself.

- Make sure your "new" trailer is really new... It may have been used as the outlot outhouse. Open the black tank dump valve right there on their lot. Stand back and see what comes out - hopefully nothing.

- Look for corrosion - rusty frame, filiform corrosion in the aluminum, rusty license plate holder, anything, everything. Perhaps the trailer was on their lot for many months, or perhaps the employees have been using it at the beach on weekends.

Good luck!
Dan,

I know this unit just showed up at Bates a short time ago, so I wouldn't expect to see any rust, etc., but I'll give it a good oing over. I will check the Black water tank as you suggest as it is sitting there now until I pick it up on the 8th.