RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
First two months in our new 23' Safari SE LS

We picked up our 2007 23’ Safari SE LS on January 18 and have spent 25 nights in it to date. Upon bringing our trailer home we noted some wet spots on the floor the next morning. One of the connectors to the water pump was leaking. The service manager and a mechanic came to our home from Pat Clark’s Custom Haulers and Trailer (our dealer here in Vegas) and replaced the faulty part. We thought that was excellent service and saved us towing it back to the dealer.

Our first trip was a seven nights to Buckskin State Park just north of Parker, AZ. It is one of our favorite state parks and is right on the Colorado. Everything worked fine except that the smoke alarm went off the first evening we used the heater. I removed the smoke alarm for the rest of the week. I have since reinstalled it and it has not gone off. I guess the heater had some residual oil on it from manufacturing that had to be burned off. The only other issue we discovered is that one of our rear speakers over the bed does not work. I checked the rear of the audio system but it is a nest of wires as bad as those behind a dashboard of a car (see photo). We will have it attended to when we take our Airstream in to the dealer for warranty work.

Our second trip was to the Salton Sea for 10 days. We had a great time and no additional issues with the trailer were identified. The only thing that marred that trip was the the rear passenger window on our Sequoia was smashed at a Coachella Valley Preserve near Indio, CA.

Our most recent trip to Zion for nine nights was recently completed. We do a lot of dry camping and we wanted to see how long we could go without dumping. We use the water in the trailer tank for showers and personal hygiene and the toilet only for liquid waste at night. For cooking, drinking and dishwashing we use water from the campground spigots. After 9 days and 12 twelve “sea” showers we still had 3/4 of a tank of fresh water, the gray water was only 1/4 full and the black water was 1/2 full. So we envision we will be able to go at least one, and possibly as long as two weeks without dumping, if we are careful and have other sources of water for drinking, cooking and dishwashing.

For dry camping we are also in the process of replacing the non-halogen incandescent bulbs with LED lamps and the two halogen lamps over the bathroom sinks with equivalent LED lamps. With our two 53 watt solar panels we envision we will not need to buy a Honda 1000 watt generator, which we were originally planning to buy. The only other issue is to put an inline switch to control the refrigerator fan as Antique Pedaler has done.

Our warranty list so far is very short so we have not yet returned to the dealer for any repairs. We will probably take it in for the few repairs sometime in the next few months.

We did do one very stupid thing with our awning which I will cover, with a lot of embarrassment, in another note.

I have attached a web site with photos/slide show of our new trailer and our first three trips.

Airstream Web Show
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Great pictures, Orangekid -- beautiful scenery, beautiful Airstream! Thanks for sharing your beginning trips with us. Looking forward to more.

How did the window of the Sequoia get smashed? So sad!

Happy Trails to you!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Great pictures, Orangekid -- beautiful scenery, beautiful Airstream! Thanks for sharing your beginning trips with us. Looking forward to more.

How did the window of the Sequoia get smashed? So sad!

Happy Trails to you!

-J
Four vehicles were broken into the same day and several others during the previous week. The parking lot was crowded and the hosts had two trailers at the end of the parking lot. Nothing was taken as we believe the vandals had no time with all the people coming and going. We were lucky as we had a Zeiss scope, Canon camera and other valuables in the Sequoia. We taped cardboard and plastic over the broken window to get home and went through a heavy rain squall without any water leakage. We always carry duct tape and it comes in useful for emergencies. The window has been repaired and is as good as new.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I had tested our furnace at the dealer, so my first use of that was uneventful. However, when we lit the oven to make our first dinner, we set off the smoke alarm too. Kind of embarrassing.

I opened up the access door to the radio compartment and was confronted by the same rats nest of wires. We had a speaker not working, and I found one of the wires not plugged in all the way. It was a lucky find, right near the opening.

Have you thought about or heard of any ideas on how to prop the back window open? That's the emergency escape window, and it has latches but no way to keep it open for ventillation. I'd like to be able to close the window (if its propped open) from the inside if necessary.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Beautiful Pictures

Very nice trailer and trip.The west is so Beautiful. Klepper or Long Haul Kayak?
May you Have Many Wonderful Trip's.
Knunut
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
rgodfrey: I have not even bothered to open up the rear Window. But it would be nice if it had the props like the other windows. Not only did we set off our smoke alarm but we managed to set off our theft alarm on our Sequoia twice that first afternoon. All the neighboring campers pretended nothing happened!

knunut: Its a Klepper purchased new around 1973 when we were graduate students at Columbia. Still works fine and it is all original except for the new paddles and a new rear contoured seat.