Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fantastic Fan Failure

We had a reversable Fantastic Fan installed in the bedroom of our 25FB. It worked for maybe 10 hours, then the fan would not come on. I can hear a low whine when I try to turn the fan on. OK, this was just a lemon fan, then our factory installed Fantastic Fan in the back of the trailer did the same thing this past weekend. Fan won't come on. It's not the fuse in the fan. Anyone had this problem?

One other issue, the micro/convection won't get hot enough to pop popcorn. First time it happened, I thought the campground was just too crowded, not enough power. Last time, the campground was nearly empty and it still wouldn't pop it. Air conditioner worked fine in both instances, but was not running when using the micro.

Teresa
tport40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
unit at fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tport40
We had a reversable Fantastic Fan installed in the bedroom of our 25FB. It worked for maybe 10 hours, then the fan would not come on. I can hear a low whine when I try to turn the fan on. OK, this was just a lemon fan, then our factory installed Fantastic Fan in the back of the trailer did the same thing this past weekend. Fan won't come on. It's not the fuse in the fan. Anyone had this problem?

One other issue, the micro/convection won't get hot enough to pop popcorn. First time it happened, I thought the campground was just too crowded, not enough power. Last time, the campground was nearly empty and it still wouldn't pop it. Air conditioner worked fine in both instances, but was not running when using the micro.

Teresa
Teresa,
It is not so ironic as it is a good indicator something is wrong with your unit or the campground's power, since you have two distinctly electrical type problems with such a new unit.
Personally, the very first thing that I would do would be to get a DIGITAL style volt meter that plugs into an electric receptacle, and be sure my VOLTAGE is acceptable. You should never use below 105 volts as you can damage good equipment, and over around 133 is bad as well. Just plugging it in is not the final determination, however. With it plugged in, you should be able to run your A/C, fridge and microwave and still have above 105, hopefully 110 or better. I will not go deeply into the electrical theory, however, I suspect the CAMPGROUND is not supplying you with enough voltage, and therefore, your microwave does not supply enough power to pop the corn, nor does it provide enough to keep your batteries at the proper voltage to run your 12 volt fans. 12 volts in your batterries is close to being discharged! Be sure your batteries have the plates covered with distilled water at all times, checking them frequently while the unit is plugged in. The following chart shows charge rates.
100% 12.7v
75% 12.4v
50% 12.2v
25% 12.0v
Discharged 11.9v
The batteries should provide about 13.3 volts when fully charged, and then the fantastic fans should operate properly.
IF by chance the fans are indeed both bad, the fantastic fan people have the best reputation in the RV business for customer service.
If you deduce the problem is not in your unit, but rather the campground's BE PREPARED for very much resistance from the owner/manager as they are never at fault (tongue in cheek). You will need to have your facts in order before the complaint.
Hope this helps.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
change campgrounds

plug in somewhere else and make observations- I doubt the fans are bad.

sounds like low B+.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would also vote on the Campground's power. That's too many things going wrong at the same time for it to be in the trailer. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. I assume that your plugged into the 30 amp outlet. If there is a 50 amp outlet there and you have an adapter, try the 50 amp line and see if it makes any difference.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote