RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Excited yet hesitant on '07 Safari LS / advice please?

Hey folks. I知 a newbie here. I知 about to purchase my first airstream. I spent 6 years living out of an econoline with a band I toured with (towing a 7x14 utility trailer) so I知 no stranger to the road, but I知 new to airstream/trailer life.

My wife and I are moving from NY to CA and have decided to sell everything we own and live out of a trailer for the next few years. We致e done a TON of research, which brought us to airstream, but I致e got a dilemma with a deposit I put on a 2007 19 Safari LS Bambi. I知 considering waiting for another used one from another year to come through the dealership after reading some horror stories about 07 airstreams.

I understand (and am fully prepared) to be doing maintenance and working on a vehicle that I知 going to be living out of full timebut the rampant amount of floor rot stories I have found on 2007 models are really scary. That痴 not the type of regular maintenance I壇 like to be doing, 祖ause that means we値l be doing hotel livingnot airstream living. Bare in mind, I知 going to be on the other side of the country, far away from holding the dealership accountable. And since it痴 used (and based on spotty history of customer service at headquarters) I won稚 be counting on heading to the manufacturers either.

So here痴 what I知 asking. If there痴 any of you out there that bought new (or even used) airstreams (specifically 2007) and had floor rot issues, upon bringing it back to a dealer and going through all the repairs and nightmares, were you able to get your airstream to a point where this thing was stronger than when it left the manufacturer? Or did you give up and sell and move on to another year AS?

My other questionare there any of you out there with 2007 Safari Bambi痴 that didn稚 go through this? Even when I scan through the posts on this forum, just looking at the user info of everyone, I see so many more 70痴, 04, 05, and then 09 and up. I知 frightened by this potential black cloud over the 2007 airstreams.

If there痴 anyone out there who can help with this purchase, I壇 greatly appreciate it.

I知 very sorry for the lengthy first post and I壇 like to thank everyone here for already providing me with tons of reading material and homework that has truly been the most help out of anything I致e searched. You have an incredible community here and I (fingers crossed) look forward to being an active contributor.
Rhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Just check the floor out.

Take a screwdriver or a small hammer and tap all over the floor.

If there is rot you will hear a thud instead of a sharp knock.

I have a 2000 27 foot Safari and there is no floor rot.

I did look at a 25 foot 2007 and it had a lot of floor rot.

Case by case.
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhunt View Post
Hey folks. I知 a newbie here. I知 about to purchase my first airstream. I spent 6 years living out of an econoline with a band I toured with (towing a 7x14 utility trailer) so I知 no stranger to the road, but I知 new to airstream/trailer life.

My wife and I are moving from NY to CA and have decided to sell everything we own and live out of a trailer for the next few years. We致e done a TON of research, which brought us to airstream, but I致e got a dilemma with a deposit I put on a 2007 19 Safari LS Bambi. I知 considering waiting for another used one from another year to come through the dealership after reading some horror stories about 07 airstreams.

I understand (and am fully prepared) to be doing maintenance and working on a vehicle that I知 going to be living out of full timebut the rampant amount of floor rot stories I have found on 2007 models are really scary. That痴 not the type of regular maintenance I壇 like to be doing, 祖ause that means we値l be doing hotel livingnot airstream living. Bare in mind, I知 going to be on the other side of the country, far away from holding the dealership accountable. And since it痴 used (and based on spotty history of customer service at headquarters) I won稚 be counting on heading to the manufacturers either.

So here痴 what I知 asking. If there痴 any of you out there that bought new (or even used) airstreams (specifically 2007) and had floor rot issues, upon bringing it back to a dealer and going through all the repairs and nightmares, were you able to get your airstream to a point where this thing was stronger than when it left the manufacturer? Or did you give up and sell and move on to another year AS?

My other questionare there any of you out there with 2007 Safari Bambi痴 that didn稚 go through this? Even when I scan through the posts on this forum, just looking at the user info of everyone, I see so many more 70痴, 04, 05, and then 09 and up. I知 frightened by this potential black cloud over the 2007 airstreams.

If there痴 anyone out there who can help with this purchase, I壇 greatly appreciate it.

I知 very sorry for the lengthy first post and I壇 like to thank everyone here for already providing me with tons of reading material and homework that has truly been the most help out of anything I致e searched. You have an incredible community here and I (fingers crossed) look forward to being an active contributor.
Don't be hesitant on '07 Safari LS. I recently purchased the same unit and after a few up-grades I could not be happier. In my opinion, anything you buy may need some repairs and or up grades. With Air forums here to help, you can make short work fixing any problems you discover. The most important thing is to be sure to keep the unit sealed. Then you will have less to worry about.
John Cook
johncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had an '07 20' and never had a floor problem.