RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question Conversion from dinette to couch?

We're thinking of converting our dinette area in our 25FB to a permanent couch; we feel we'd be happier with a couch and tv trays for dining inside.

Anyone done this before in a 25FB?

Thanx, Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lance, I know that we've seen someone remove the dinette and put in a couple RV-style captain's chairs at the rear of a 25' FB. That would take much better anchoring than building a couch. Light framing & a light platform will assist keeping cantilever weight down at the rear.

Will you use TV tables in foul weather?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Will you use TV tables in foul weather?
We feel that 90% of the time we're using the dinette for sitting rather than eating and don't like "converting" it back and forth. So, we would be happier with a "real" couch to sit on and use tv trays for the occasional inside meal.

Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Lance,

We installed a couch in place of the dinette.

Our AS was converted to commercial display use, so we had the opportunity to get creative in recreating the interior for civilian use.

We had no experience with the dinette other than sitting in them on dealers lots, but they seemed uncomfortable for long term relaxing.

We were about to go with 2 Ekornes chairs, but, by accident found a sofa with a slight curved back in a furniture store.

To me, it's much better than sitting sideways on the bench to watch TV.

It's anchored with U shaped wooden blocks screwed to the floor in which the rear legs drop into. It can be removed by tipping the couch forward.

I think I posted some pics of our couch.

Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This it?

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is a mystery to me why the company dropped a sofa from the 25' and 27' models, leaving only a dinette and a bench (which is perfectly positioned to watch the kitchen sink in the evening) to try to get comfortable in.

Our Safari 20 also has only the dinette for seating, and I am contemplating a sofa conversion or a trade. Six months travel a year needs better seating. We would like a 25, but no help there, so a 23 sofa might be the ticket.

Bob, I met a fellow this winter who removed the 25 FB dinette and put in two recliners. The recliner scale seemed a bit large, but Ekornes for example, makes them in three sizes. The small size feels right for the Airstream, and is comfy for most people. He installed a cabinet streetside of the recliners, which crowded things, and kept the original bench seat, which he only used to set stuff on.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Yes, that's it.
The great thing is the sofa was about $800. I think the chairs were about $1800 each.
Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Alamo , California
TennisMan,
Elle & I did what we think is a better remodel. For our 2007 25' FB LS SE we purchased matching fabric from Airstream and made customs cushions with foam to match the factory density/quality for on top of the dinette table and full-width back cushions (one full-height and one as a filler behind the full height cushion) across the windows so we can make up the trailer like a couch or like the factory dinette table. Since most times its just Elle & I camping, we use 2 wood "TV tables" for meals.
If interested, I will take some pics.
Regards,
TKNELLE

PS Makes watching our 25" 1080p HD Sony TV with Boston Acoustics surround sound system sweet!
Alamo, CA
TKNELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
SouthernAFColonel

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Salisbury , North Carolina
Couch in 25' Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
Lance,

We installed a couch in place of the dinette.

Our AS was converted to commercial display use, so we had the opportunity to get creative in recreating the interior for civilian use.

We had no experience with the dinette other than sitting in them on dealers lots, but they seemed uncomfortable for long term relaxing.

We were about to go with 2 Ekornes chairs, but, by accident found a sofa with a slight curved back in a furniture store.

To me, it's much better than sitting sideways on the bench to watch TV.

It's anchored with U shaped wooden blocks screwed to the floor in which the rear legs drop into. It can be removed by tipping the couch forward.

I think I posted some pics of our couch.

Bob

Bob, what did you have to do to the heater to put in the couch? We have a 27' FB Safari and want to take out the dinette and replace it with chairs or a couch. I notice that the heater is located under the seating between the dinette and the refrigerator.

Richard
AFCOLONEL is offline   Reply With Quote