Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Bunk Bed Option

We are thinking of ordering the bunk bed option on our planned 23' Safari SE LS. We would use it for storage space during camping. It would probably never be used for sleeping.

Does any one know the distance from the bottom of the bunk bed to the mattress below. We would like to be able to sit up in bed without hitting our heads. We would also like to avoid feeling claustrophobic. But at the same time we would not like to waste all that space above the bed.

Could anyone comment on our concerns about the bunk bed.

Thanks, Steve
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Bunk Storage

Steve,

What may sound like a great idea will probably give you the feeling of being in a WWII submarine. The bunk does take up a large amount of room and removed one possibly two overheads. In addition is does make it very difficult to get in and out of the bed, especially for the person sleeping against the outside wall. For the actual distance you will have to call your dealer. I have seen the bunk option in the 23 and the 19 Bambi. Cool if you really need it but a real headbanger.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Would the configuration of the bunk bed be the same as the 30' bunkhouse? If it is I would suggest contacting Rich Luhr. http://www.tour.airstreamlife.com/weblog/
He is quite obliging and I am sure he could help you with the dimensions. You may also see pictures of the layout in many of the photos in the blog.

Towdaddy just traded in their 30' bunkhouse for a gorgeous brand new 34' slideout. I do believe the family thought the bunk was too shallow for real comfort. Perhaps he would also offer some insight.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Steve,

What may sound like a great idea will probably give you the feeling of being in a WWII submarine. The bunk does take up a large amount of room and removed one possibly two overheads. In addition is does make it very difficult to get in and out of the bed, especially for the person sleeping against the outside wall. For the actual distance you will have to call your dealer. I have seen the bunk option in the 23 and the 19 Bambi. Cool if you really need it but a real headbanger.
That is what I was afraid of. I liked the open airy feeling in the 23' Safari bed and do not want to lose that or any of the overhead cabinets. It sounds like it may be a bad idea.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Would the configuration of the bunk bed be the same as the 30' bunkhouse?
I have no idea what the configuration of the bunk bed is compared to other Airstreams. I'll talk to my dealer and see if he happens to have one in stock with a bunk bed. I'll also check with Rich Luhr as you suggested.

Thanks, Steve
Old 11-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I believe it is the same height as the 30' bunk unit.

I was a bit sad to see, even though I had thought it would be the case, that the addition of the bunk deletes the rear roof locker. To me, that is a key enclosed storage piece I really like. Matter of fact, even the rear side roof locker that was in our 19' Bambi was gone when I moved to the 25'. I would assume the 23' might be similar as the 19', 23', 25' and 30' seem to share the same basic rear design with few modifications between the models.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I was a bit sad to see, even though I had thought it would be the case, that the addition of the bunk deletes the rear roof locker. To me, that is a key enclosed storage piece I really like.
My wife and I decided we will not order the bunk bed option. It seems we would be trading the space in the rear roof locker for the bunk bed. As earlier stated it also may feel too enclosed with the bunk bed. As it is we think the 23' Safari has plenty of space for our things. Thanks for all the advice/opinions.

We are probably going to order our new Airstream tomorrow. Our dealer said it would take 3-5 weeks so we should have it in time for the new year. Our shakedown trip will be to Valley of Fire about 1.5 hours north of Vegas. Our first long (2-4 week) trip will be to southeastern AZ in mid to late January.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid
Our dealer said it would take 3-5 weeks so we should have it in time for the new year.
orangekid...

your dealer may be blowin' smoke....

takes about 2 work weeks to build 'em...
add 4 days to arrive from ohio to vegas and we are approaching foul weather.....
really it takes a good dealer 2-3 days to fully prep a new unit and repair bits...

so that's 3+weeks once a production date is assigned...
the production start date is your first big time mark...

getting a production start date IS the issue...
production start dates usually are 3-5 weeks AFTER the order is placed...

so 6-8 weeks is a typical timeline to delivery...

perhaps things are really slow in j/c now and it can happen sooner...
i hope so for you...the wait can be fun/hard and 2 long...

so don't make camping reservations just yet...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree. When I special ordered the Safari, I ordered it in mid October. It wasn't ready until mid December. I recall this because we picked ours up right near the Airstream factory and stopped by for a tour. We were the only two there and they were getting ready to close for the holidays.

So at an off peak time, it took about 8 weeks. At peak times, it can and has taken a bit longer. I recall the Louisville show happened right after ours came off the line and they were then swamped with builds.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

so don't make camping reservations just yet...

cheers
2air'
We still have our TrailManor, which we can use for camping if things are delayed. We are flexible. We would rather get the options we want than buy a Airstream off a dealer's lot. We don't mind the wait.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
So at an off peak time, it took about 8 weeks.
So that means we will most likely get it in January some time. We still have our TraiManor so we can use that while we wait for out Safari.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You could be lucky. My exp has been about 8 weeks as 2Air mentioned, which would put you into January. Keep in mind that the factory closes for some of the holiday season in December, so for a week (I believe) thereabouts, no work is being done.