Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #41
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Back to Jackson Center tomorrow, passing through on my way to work. Going to buy all the lights i need to switch everything over from halogen, to LED. I'm hoping to switch the lights out soon.
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
And since my Trailer does not have an inverter, i bought some of the smaller size ones from Duracell, that i can simply plug into the DC outlets to run my AC stuff when needed....bought a 100W one and a 600W one, we'll see how quickly they kill the juice. For shits and giggles, i did plug the TV into the 600W one and it ran just fine...may end up getting a 200W as a middle ground.
I use a 19" flat panel & Direct TV sat. box w/800 watt inverter and 2 Lifeline AGM @100amphrs. each. During 2 rainy days and nights TV & Sat. ran most of the time with a fan running at night. Inverter was on 24/7. We got 2.5 days from batteries before they dropped to 50%. Bottom line is TVs, Sat. box and inverters draw a lot of juice....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Good day to all! I just left Jackson Center a week ago. My visit there was warranty work on the now famous rear bumber leak. They did a great job, and I could not be happier. The reason I am writing is; part of the repair process for my camper was to remove a few of the inside pannels to get gain acess to wet insulation. I can't help but think if you had that much water it's more than a possiblility all the insulation got wet. IF not replaced, God only knows what you might wind up with. I am new at this, so call an expert and get their spin on the subject.
I hope you enjoy your a much as we have ours.
Larry
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #44
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Well,

I have picked up a few things for the camper. So before i take her out this weekend, i will get to install a few things.

Bought an Antenna booster. called a Winegard Wingman. Looks to just screw onto the existing antenna, gonna search some threads and see if anyone has had luck with it. Seems simple enough.

Also, switching the lights over to LED. Read through alot of reviews on the site. Going to switch out them all, and will be ordering from Dan at www.led4rv.com

His site is easy to use and his prices are right in line with everyone elses, but he offers the best shipping costs. So before i order, i need to get back to the camper this weekend anc count all the lights by number and type...

Then i will be placing the order. Other then that, my goal is to get some Lifeline AGM batteries prior to Turkey day. Holding off on additional Solar panels for now, gonna feel out the 110W panel for a little bit and see how my consumption goes after the LED switch.

All and all, The trailer is coming along nicely, 6 months of hard work and investing and she is becoming quite the individual now. I love being able to mold it to fit all my needs...or more so desires.

Now i just need some more time to use the dam thing.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #45
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
oh yeah....got bored a few weeks ago. In the wee hours of the night i was searching for some stuff on craigslist and somehow i ended up searching for stuff in Idaho....( i live in Ohio, and am stationed in the Military in Indiana, a drink or two underway and i ended up clicking on Idaho- don't ask haha)

Anyways, i came across a 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super C20 Camper Special, 454- fleetside longbed. Long story short, it had an old 1973 Alaskan Truck Camper in the bed, and it was cheap. One owner Truck and camper. Sold as a package off the lot in 1974 (the guy has all the paperwork, and the owners manual for the camper as well)

Call me nostalgic, but the package caught my eye!

The Gentleman who owned it had bought it new, right when he retired and he had just passed away. So i worked the deal out with his Son in law, and its on a truck heading to me as we speak....Should be delivered tomorrow...

Would like to find a vintage Airstream at some point, but in all honesty. The slide in camper seems pretty neat. Excited to see it in person.

I bought it mainly because of the truck, because i have made alot of extra trips to and from campgrounds all summer retrieving my boats after i got the camper in place. That and it will be nice to have another venue for friends and family to use when they go camping with me.

Not sure what what kind of gas mileage the old 454 will get, but the truck should tow the Safari just fine as well. I will post some photos tomorrow when i see it in person. Interior is all wood in the camper- it has a 2 burner stove, an ice box, sink, AC / Furnace and raises to about 7 feet when camping and seems rather compact when down. Lots of Windows.

I did find an old ad for the camper on Ebay, so for $3.00, i do have some vintage marketing for the ol' camper. Should be a neat set up, looked up some stuff on the Alaskan Campers and they are good American Made products dating back to 1953, so i think the Airstream brethren can appreciate her.

Was hoping to fly out and drive it back, but i got to busy, ended up paying almost more to have the dam thing shipped then i did to purchase it haha...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	111468   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	111469  

Name:	a4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	111470  
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
vintage Alaskan camper . . .

For many years my Airstream tow vehicle was a 1968 one ton Dodge W300 4X4 with a 10' Alaskan camper nestled inside a 9' utility body. It had a 318 cu. in. V-8 truck engine, 4 speed manual transmission, and 4.88 geared Dana 70 axles front and rear. This was one stout truck!

The tires were military surplus Michelin 1100-16" radials used on Marine Corps LATVs. It had Braden 8000 pound PTO winches front and rear, to assist in places I wandered off into. I put a 14" long square extension into my rear hitch so the Alaskan would not crunch the Airstream in dips and during turns.

I traveled from Denver to both coasts with this truck and many places in between. It got only 8 mpg, so I added an auxiliary step fuel tank under the driver's door. I eventually sold it after I bought my 19 mph 1992 Dodge W250 4X4 Turbo Cummins diesel extended cab pickup truck.

The Alaskans are beautiful and practical truck campers, with aluminum exteriors and wood interiors reminiscent of a boat. The 10' Alaskan was ideal because it had two 6' long dinette seats along each front side, where I'd sleep without raising the top while on "Cannonball" runs. I still have a vintage 8' Alaskan which I occasionally will use in my 1947 Dodge Power Wagon for local camping.

Congratulations on your "new" Alaskan and your vintage tow vehicle!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frontdriver.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	111478   Click image for larger version

Name:	reardriver.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	111479  

Name:	frontwinch.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	111480   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearwinch.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	111481  

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #47
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Busy weekend...

took the Airstream out for 2 days at a local campground, not enough time for a big adventure, just enjoyed a warm fire and some company. The campgrounds are fun this of year when the crowds thin out.

Anyways, i never tested the Furnace...and it would seem that i will need to take it in. No brainer here- water damage lol. I did play with it a little and a red light was flashing when i pressed the reset button. So we'll see whats going on with it.

Good time though, counted my lights 25 Cieling, 5 reading, and 5 push button incandescent light bulbs, plus the bulb in the range. So i'm all set to order my LED stuff.

Tried to mount the Winegard Wing on my antenna, but the bracket that my antenna rests on, will not allow it to lay flush after i mount it, so i will have to alter that bracket a little. No worries, but my old man and I decided to put that project on hold and we enjoyed the afternoon together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9250931.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	111751  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #48
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
The Alaskan Curse....haha

I made the 5 hour drive back to work and was greeted by my new truck and camper project. The 73' Alaskan and 74' Chevy.

They were both in good shape, solid projects and I'm excited to start work on them.

But they may be cursed lol. The delivery and subsequent fee was a mess, and the world of truckers and brokers is easy to use, yet requires alot of patience.

Anyways, I was excited to see the truck and when it up, i realized it was on Empty, so off to the gas station i went- to feed the 454 (7.4Liters) engine. Then to my surprise the gas caps were locked, so i went through the array of keys i recieved...no match....I called the trucking company and then the guy in Idaho...and in the end the key are still missing...So after 35 minutes with a screwdriver and malicious intent, the caps were off and i was able to get some gas... The drive and the gas caps had worn me out so off to bed i went.

This morning i explored the camper and was impressed by the condtion, it was pretty neat and i did my best to start scrubbing things down. The hours went by and day was about done and i lowered the top and headed home from work....I was hoping to get some more play time tonite and went out to do some more cleaning, so i cranked the top up with the Hydraulic jack, and it would seem the one piston broke a seal, or sprung a leak. None the less, three corners raised, and one leaked....after some ill advised attempts to try and raise it none the less, i worked all the hydraulic fluid out of the jack, and the stubborn piston that no longer wanted to raise decided, that he also did not wish to lower...haha.

So i'm left with the camper in a unique position, half raised. Albeit, a midget could still use her. I won't have much luck in its current state. so will see if i can get it repaired this week...as for now. I'm in a holding pattern and missing the Airstream., and doing my best to wash the smell of hydraulic fluid off my hands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9270942.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	111752   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270943.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	111753  

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I like that camper top... can you post pics when you get to see the inside? About your furnace, if it's the board, you can research "dinosaur boards".. I believe that's the replacement ones.

Nice that you're enjoying your toys! Bet your Dad is enjoying it too!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #50
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Well, Another fun summer. I was unable to post much over the last 6 months. Life got busy and I m on my way to Afghanistan now, but i did want to report on the trailer.

No ill effects from the flood have since been seen after all my original repairs and replacements. All systems continue to function properly and i am having a blast with the camper.

Took the camper to the New York and stayed off Lake Erie for a week at the State Campground near Lake Chautauqua and enjoyed the wine trail, and local vineyards.

Spent a week, at the Airstream only campground in New Jersey "The Jersey Shore Haven"

And tackled the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania and finally went and Saw Falling Water, and Frank Lloyd Wrights masterpiece of a home.

All with the trusty camper at my side...

Looking forward to getting home....and possibly adding another camper to the collection
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6240939.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	144924  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #51
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Oh yeah, the solar panels have been great too and i would recommend them to everyone who is on the road a lot and pulls over at rest stops or takes breaks...I have yet to boon dock, but they have come in handy when i just wanted to pull over and take a shower and call it quits for the night at a highway rest area.... I know the batteries would have just as easily made it through the night, but its a great feeling to be carefree and know that the morning sun will have me back at full strength.

That and i cleaned up the Alaskan Camper and old truck, only camped in it twice, but she has potential. She is american made and has a proud history and I think the Airstream crowd would be pleased with her company on this site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-07-12_23-33-38_163.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	144925  
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
There was an Alaskan Camper plant in Sioux Falls. I used to buy some parts from him in 70's.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Very enjoyable saga ....
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I'm really enjoying this thread . . . aluminum and fiberglass . . . my 2 favourites! Can't wait to see more inside pics of the Alaskan Camper.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #55
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
I am in Afghanistan now with the Army and am dreaming up some new ideas to add some panels, and would really like some input from some more knowledgable people. I have put together my options below, so please weigh in.

I will be changing over my lights to LEDS from Dan when I get home and would like to throw in some Life Lines AGM batteries as well. Size and Location TBD

But Currently, My plan is to add some more panels and get the high dollar purchases knocked out. I know a larger bank of batteries or just bigger ones will equal more power, but I move around a lot to different campgrounds and Solar has served me well so far to recharge the batteries before the sun drops. But Living in the East, limits me on Sun, so to compensate I want to maximize the hours i have of quality sun light with more panels...

I had the factory install their kit in 2010 and I have the GO POWER 25 regulator and a 110W panel currently. And have found some good deals on additional panels. $611 for their 125W / 7 AMP/H and $435 for their 80W / 4.6AMP/H and am trying to decide which comination makes the most sense. I have had my father measure, and my options below would all fit on my roof with my current 110W / 6.7 AMP/H panel

I have done some calculations and I believe the chart below is on the high side, but would reflect some numbers I could easily reach while bood docking.

12V DC Appliance....... Amps........... Qty........... Hours/Day .................Amp/Day

Stereo...............................0.8 ................1..................... 6................................. 4.8

Water Pump...................... 4................ 1..................... 1................................. 4

Refrigerator.................... 0.4................ 1..................... 24.............................. 9.6

Fan................................... 1.5................ 2..................... 6................................. 18

Propane Alarm.............. 0.2................. 1..................... 24.............................. 4.8

Furnace.............................. 8................. 1..................... 6................................ 48

Other................................... x................. x..................... x................................. 10

.................................................. .................................................. .............99.2 AMPS

Current Solar System
I have 2x 75 Amp hour batteries that I think with the above usage wouldnt last me more then 2 Days, even if I started to ration power.
My 110 Watt Solar panel in direct sunlight is rated to send 6.7 AMPS an hour back to the battery; let’s also assume that I can get an average of 7 hours of quality sun per day.
So If I use at least 1/2 of 150 Amp Hours per day or 75 Ah. I would like to be able to replenish 75 amps in 7 hours = 75Ah/6h = 10.71 Amps. Below are the charging amounts for my 110 Watt Solar kit per day based on varying solar hours during the day.

SOLAR HOURS.......... AMPS PER 110W OF SOLAR PANELS................... ADDED TO BATTERY

4................................................. ......... 6.7............................................... .................. 26.8

5................................................. ......... 6.7............................................... .................. 33.5

6................................................. ......... 6.7............................................... .................. 40.2

7................................................. ......... 6.7............................................... .................. 46.9

8................................................. ......... 6.7............................................... .................. 53.6

9................................................. ......... 6.7............................................... .................. 60.3

As you can see my 110 watt solar kit is below my needs if I plan on the above usage. The Furnace is my biggest draw, and if I take that away during the summer months when it’s not in the equation, then my daily use is roughly around 51 AMPS and I would be right on pace to fully recharge each day. I have not subtracted the lights from my amps, so I will have to factor that in is as a large draw as well. Regardless, if I want to dry camp during the early spring and fall and use the furnace then I need to increase my solar charging power as well as my battery size if I plan on extended trips.

My options.....
315 WATT Solar System: additional panels $1046.00
If I add a 125 Watt Panel and an 80 Watt Panel that would yield 315 Watts of power that would have the ability in direct sunlight to put 18.3 AMPS an hour back to the battery.
As seen below, with the addition of the two panels I could now easily cover my daily use, without adding larger batteries. Still assuming 7 hours of quality sunlight I would yield over 125 amps back into the batteries.

SOLAR HOURS................... AMPS PER 315W OF SOLAR PANELS.............. ADDED TO BATTERY
4................................................. .............. 18.3.............................................. ................. 73.2
5................................................. .............. 18.3.............................................. ................. 91.5
6................................................. .............. 18.3.............................................. ............... 109.8
7................................................. .............. 18.3.............................................. ............... 128.1
8................................................. .............. 18.3.............................................. ............... 146.4
9................................................. .............. 18.3.............................................. ............... 164.7

350 WATT Solar System: additional panels $1305.00
If I add 3 x 80 Watt Panels that would yield 350 Watts of power and have the ability in direct sunlight to put 21.5 AMPS an hour back to the battery.

SOLAR HOURS..................... AMPS PER 350W OF SOLAR PANELS.......... ADDED TO BATTERY
4................................................. ............... 21.5.............................................. ............... 86
5................................................. ............... 21.5.............................................. ......... 107.5
6................................................. ............... 21.5.............................................. ............ 129
7................................................. ............... 21.5.............................................. ......... 150.5
8................................................. ............... 21.5.............................................. ............. 172
9................................................. ............... 21.5.............................................. .......... 193.5

395 WATT Solar System: additional panels $1480.00
If I add 2 x 80 Watt Panels and a 125 Watt Panel that would yield 395 Watts of power and have the ability to put 22.9 AMPS an hour back to the battery.

SOLAR HOURS......................... AMPS PER 395W OF SOLAR PANELS............ ADDED TO BATTERY
4................................................. .................... 22.9.............................................. ............... 91.6
5................................................. .................... 22.9.............................................. ............. 114.5
6................................................. .................... 22.9.............................................. ............. 137.4
7................................................. .................... 22.9.............................................. ............. 160.3
8................................................. .................... 22.9.............................................. ............. 183.2
9................................................. .................... 22.9.............................................. ................ 206

So please chime in and let me know what you guys think is overkill or if i should be cutting these possible panel yields in half with my limited quality SUN hours out east and go big with the panels to maximize output.

That and If you think this is a waste without changing batteries or converters... I read alot of posts when I can and I just want some more opinions....I'am 27 and fool around with a lot of toys...but the AIRSTREAM is the one I am least familiar with all the in" and out's

Thanks in advance

www.michaelsprojects.weebly.com/
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #56
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Going to go big!

I going to order the 125Watt and (2) 80Watt panels to get me to 395 Watts total and a possible 22.9 Amps per hour of charging power.

In other news, after some long nights of rambling with a tax guy here in Afghanistan with me, I am going to change my 2010 tax return to reflect the Energy Credit that I was eligible when I first installed my Solar System.

As it reads, my camper meets the criteria of a second home and 30% of my costs could have been credited on my tax return that year.

So I m doing the paperwork and hope to have it in the mail to the IRS by the end of the week.

My total expense was $1808...so i should net an additional $542
Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
You are going to have a fantastic go anywhere rig when you are done with this!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
You have two great projects there! Love the pictures. Hopefully you'll be home in time to camp in both of them this summer!

Thank you for your service to our country - I can't say that enough. You & your fellow soldiers do a job most of us couldn't, so that all of us can keep our freedom. Our son became a Marine in January, and although I worry about him every day, I'm so proud of him for what he's doing.

Stay safe over there.

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #59
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Thank You for the kind words.

This is my third tour, and things are winding down now. So hopefully your son won't have to spend much time, if any overseas.

I have made the best of things and am looking forward to coming home. I just turned 27 and am almost ready to hit my 9 year mark in the Army. The time goes fast!

Just dreaming about future trips and schemes....and its the Campers turn to have some money invested in it. So thats why I m going all out with the Solar this month.

The Harley got an allowance last month and my airplane kit will get money next month...I m single obviously and don't have anyone to tell me NO

None the less, it keeps me busy....and between thinking about my friends and family and dreaming up these crazy plans, the weeks are flying by, even with all the events that keep happening here.

http://www.michaelsprojects.weebly.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2070367.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	153140   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Nighster All Blacked out.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	153141  

Name:	1003_Loehle-6.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	153142  
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Nice Midget Mustang.

I too want to echo Sharon's sentiments. Thank deeply for your service along with all of your fellows who are serving to fight for and protect our freedoms and security.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote