RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It's worse than you think.

I really hope you picked up this unit for a song. The insurance company would surely have totalled it. Here are two threads I hope you read before you bought.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...r-56955-3.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...elp-56527.html

There's a third thread on the trailers that flooded at the Camping World in Atlanta that I haven't been able to locate yet. You're going to need to at least look behind the wall and see what you've got going on in the insulation between the ribs. Looking at MY 25 FB SE, I think the least conspicuous and easiest reach area would be behind the dinette. I'm at work now, but I THINK the easiest one to get would be the one behind the dinette table. Be careful, because with bare walls any crease will show forever. Under the Roadside dinette bench on mine, the flooring wasn't even tacked down all the way to the corner - this would be a good spot to check for rot/mold on the subfloor. You should also drop the belly pan - because UNDER the subfloor you've got MORE insulation and OMG it's going to be ROTTEN if the PO didn't get it drained immediately.

I am afraid you'll end up needing to remove every lower interior wall panel, which can only be done by removing all of the furniture and appliances. On the "upside" of doing that, you can inspect the wiring & plumbing in detail while the panels are down.

Then there are the wheel bearings, the axles which may be rusting from the inside out, the electrical systems, and your inverter. All of these things should have priority over the more cosmetic issues like upholstery.

Since you already own this unit, let's move on to real world problems you've already mentioned.

The Factory - DON'T even bother ordering anything there that is fabric, foam, or upholstery. You can ALWAYS get it locally for less - and probably get better quality too. Sorry, but it's true.

Airstream is pragmatic. There are LOTS of people who buy an Airstream and take it out 8 times a year for a couple of years... then basically it becomes yard art. Why put the best fabric, foam or mattress in it? The Classics have better grade stuff, but the CCD's and Safari/Flying Cloud stuff is jus plain mediocre quality.

Those of us who DO fulltime end up replacing everything over time. I lived with the factory mattress for only about six months, then went to a local custom mattress plant and had them make me a new foam one. They are ready to cut me new foam for the cushions at a fraction of the cost of ordering from the factory - and I can get a fake LEATHER to upholster them for less than the factory fabric. I can do the sewing myself having a lot of experience and access to an industrial grade machine. My upholstery is still decent though so it's a project I'm putting off for now.

May I suggest that you try to have one of your cushion covers dry cleaned? It might be fine, and if it works out, you can have them all done. If you end up needing new cushion covers, DO salvage the zippers from the old cushion covers - Metal 4' to 6' long zippers are expensive. Wash the zippers with hot water and bleach to kill any residual mold. The foam with it's nooks and crannies is going to stink forever, so just figure on having to replace it. There is a lot to be learned about quality, comfort and durability of foam... so use the SEARCH here to educate yourself about quality and best sources to buy from. Before you throw out the mattress, the cushions and the covers - make full sized patterns of them out of heavy brown paper or butchers paper.

Best wishes from a fellow FB owner, Paula
Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The LP gas sniffer (propane detector) uses up battery power as well. I too am curious about what you are doing to renovate the "innards" between the inside and outside aluminum panels.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
I appreciate your posts, and i will continue to post all my findings and problems as i encounter them, for the benefit of others who may purchase a trailer such as mine.

but i would be lieing if i wasnt starting get frustrated from time to time. So for starters....

1. I'm well aware that the dam thing was in a flood haha, so you need not remind me every post. I read ALL the forums prior to purchase, called the factory and called the Guys in Utah who bought the whole lot of them, so believe me, I have done all my research, and if you follow the posts- you will see that i was ok with the problems that exist or may arise.

2. I'm quite happy with what i paid for the trailer, so no need to comment there as well. I bought the trailer by choice, because i wanted to.

3. Obviosusly the upholstery is not my first priority, but why is it a problem if it was lol. In truth, my first concern before i tear anything apart is to see what is working, and sadly enough to the dismay of all the naysayers and others with the downbeat attitudes towards the Georgia Trailers...everything has checked out just fine. And this smell that was met to scare goats away....i have yet to pick it up. Next topic.

4. The insurance company replaced the inverter and i have drycleaned the upholstery once, and now that the snow has finally melted i got to play with the trailer, so don't beat me up too much for not tearing it apart and attacking the possible mold just yet.

With that said, i again appreciate all the posts and suggestions and i hope they keep coming in, i like to hear from both sides of the house, but everytime i post something that i have done it all comes back to the flood factor...and the truth of the matter is that i am the only posting club member to take a chance on one of these trailers, and unless any of you have owned a trailer that was in a flood...all your opinions and thoughts are just simply that....I will post all my findings and hopefully we can all learn together.
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #24
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Had a good day stopping at JC. They know me fairly well now, after all my calls and quotes for my wrecked Bambi, i guess they think i have a keen eye for junk after buying the Safari.

But i did get my quote for the cushions, and other parts i am in need of. I picked up a TV mount and an Airstream floormat and an extender for the jack.

Hoping to tow the Safari there next week, to have a systems check done, to ensure there are no electrical or gas issues.

If the weather holds, i will re-evaluate the axles myself. The gentleman who i bought the trailer from said they were regreased and that they checked out fine, but its and easy enough check for me to do to make sure.

On the topic of which panel comes up first. My plan is to pull the panel from the dinette up, as already mentioned. From there, i'm hoping to see what is going on and plan my next move.

So i will keep you guys posted on my progress, currently i'm 360 miles away from the Safari at home for the weekend. So monday will be the next day to play.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3040843.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	97528  
Old 03-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Awsome Mike, koudos to you! Can't wait to hear about your travels once you get her on the road. And don't forget, we all love to follow your progress with photos, so post early and often.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm enjoying the play by play. I think so far it's in a lot better condition than I expected. Good luck in your continued explorations. I hope you find yourself enjoying it and then it's past will just disappear into history, except you'll have a great story to tell.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
I doubled checked everything when i left to ensure that i had turned everything off...but i forgot to disconnect the battery.

I did that a week ago and when i came back today, the batteries were dead. So i must have left something on...Anyone have any ideas. Do these things really kill the batteries even if not used, if left without a charge for an extended period?
Are you sure the batteries were fully charged when you first hooked them up? If you bought them and put them directly on the AS, I doubt that they were fully charged. If that's the case, I wouldn't try to track down a big drain on the system quite yet. There are enough normal little things that have been mentioned already, that could have drained the batteries over a week if they werenít fully charged to begin with.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There is a battery kill switch right inside your door. You CAN click that off IF you want to - in storage for weeks is a good time to do it.

Paula

Sorry if I rained on your parade - I hadn't connected that you DID read all the flood threads before you bought. I wouldn't take it on, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't! You've got the youth and energy to go for it.
Me?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #29
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to mikenicholso Send a message via Yahoo to mikenicholso Send a message via Skype™ to mikenicholso
Tongue jack fuse blowing.... I had this problem after adding a metal foot to mine. Turns out the collar was a tad bit to tall and the automatic cut off switch was not being reached and then pop, another fuse. Is this happening on the way up or down?
mikenicholso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #30
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Enjoying the hell out of streaming....

Well,

I have had a fun summer so far...had to for go my tour out west do to other plans...but i have still been a weekend warrior and have really enjoyed the camper so far.

To give everyone an update on repairs...I did end up having to replace the converter and water pump, and opted to just put on a manual jack. i did break down and have the Factory make me all new cushions as well, i used an accent color they have, and it looks great. I will post some photos of my new interior soon.

Other then that, everything has been working great! no ill effects from the flood what so ever.

Hoping to enjoy her for years to come

I have taken her to the Mohican River in Ohio, the Kinzua Dam on the Allegheny Resevoir in New York and Pennslyvania, and most recently last weekend to Ohiopyle State Park, in southern Pa near the Mason Dixon line for a kayaking trip on the Youghogheny River....

More trips to come .....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6050887.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	107172   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240940.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	107173  

Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #31
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
solar power....

Reading threads and after doing some camping..i have found the best sites seem to be the ones without hook-ups...so the solar panels are calling my name....reading threads. If anyone has any knowledge about panels on a 2007 25ft Safari....let me know
Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #32
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Hi ,it sounds like your going to have some fun!!
Something you might want to consider in the future is the amount of water that has been satuated into the trailer insulation during the flood. This might need to be addressed. Just something to think about!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
mgm,

Happy to hear the trailer is working out for you. Also enjoyed reading the trip from pick up to camp out.

I had to laugh when I read the factory wanted $731.00 for that lousy bed spread. You're better off without it but if you really want one. We'll sell you the one that we stuffed under the bed the day after we got our trailer. I recommend you don't buy it.

Have fun with your trailer and maybe we'll see you around the campfire.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #34
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Solar Panels Installed!

Well, i broke down and decided to go with the solar stuff first and get a generator later... I live out east and although we have had quite the heat wave this summer, for the most part the temperatures drop off at night and i can sleep just fine with a window open. And i spend my days outside the camper- So the AC wasn't a huge factor just yet.

So i took the camper to Jackson Center which is just a 3hour trip for me in Ohio and had them install the 110W panel and controller. Didnt get the AGM Batteries just yet, but they are on my list....

Installed, the panel and controller ran me around $1808.00. They had to make some custom legs to put the panel on my roof, as on my 2007 Safari SE, the two fantastice fans, AC, the Antenna Mock Sunroof, and the exhaust fans in the shower and bathroom really made it hard to find a place to mount the panel.

But after a phone call, to ok the custom mounting and some ingenuity on the guys at JC. The panel was mounted just forward my AC and looks great. Now to just learn how to use it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8060933.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	108256   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8060938.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	108257  

Name:	P8060940.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	108258  
Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #35
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
I'm kind of an ebay addict...and i did make some new purchases as well.

I'm a little overdue on some photos. In June, i did order new cushions and upholstery from the factory, so i will post the photos of my interior. Bought some pillows from Pier One, and i think she looks pretty good. My own custom interior. I ordered the fabric, from an accent color they used in Bambi interiors and had all teh cushions done in that solid color.

After a week of camping at a campground with water hookups, but no sewer. I did break down and buy the 35 gallon Thetford Tote as well. I

And since my Trailer does not have an inverter, i bought some of the smaller size ones from Duracell, that i can simply plug into the DC outlets to run my AC stuff when needed....bought a 100W one and a 600W one, we'll see how quickly they kill the juice. For shits and giggles, i did plug the TV into the 600W one and it ran just fine...may end up getting a 200W as a middle ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!BwlY(w!CWk~$(KGrHqV,!hcEv1+0KMiGBMJqgFqmdg~~_12.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	108259   Click image for larger version

Name:	!Bk6pKoQ!2k~$(KGrHqEH-EMEs8kiCZUgBLZffuq)Hg~~_12.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	108261  

Name:	P8060941.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	108262   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8060943.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	108263  

Attached Images

Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #36
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Oh yeah, My little sister got a bigger apartment at college and was in need of a TV, so ended up giving her the 19" i had in the camper and i upgraded to a 22".....I dont watch too much in the camper...But its been nice to throw in some Clint Eastwood movies on the rainy nights....The biggers screen is just right.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #37
_

. , .
the panel looks good.

the joyz of fill'n and tweak'n da stream!

nice.

but there is a beaver on yer bed.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Such A Deal

Sounds good MGM, you handled the critics very well, impressed me with your purchase and your set up looks great.

On my '76, during new construction the underbelly panels were overlaid the side panels, tastefully covered up by the rub-rail. That clever construction feature directed the water to soak the insulation which eventually rusted out the frame of my almost unused Airstream, which I purchased at a "low" price. Silly me, but I still have that Airstream, love it.

Have you peeked at the insulation behind an inside panel?
Is the frame exposed anywhere?
From the looks of that drawer just one more question, was the mold active? Please keep us up to date, great pictures.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #39
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
The beaver is a friend of mine...I visit alot of Corp of engineer lakes.....so I'm always arounds a Dam....and the beaver caught my eye. So he stays with me while i'm on the road.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #40
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Next step...

I started a thread a few months back about what i was going to purchase as far a hitch was concerned... and after a short debate i upgraded my towing Vehicle and went with an Equalizer hitch.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tml#post835465

Which has sat in the box for the last 2 months, so i m going to start work on getting her mounted and all set up. I wll update my progress.

From what i have read on the Forum... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...t-34484-4.html

I'm going to do some welding and reinforce the brackets in the same manner that was done on the above thread, hoping that will solve some of the issues people have experienced with the Equalizer.

Other then that, just scheming about more solar panels....