Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Gary was our salesman. He did indeed live in an Airstream, owned an Argosy, and has since retired from Parkview. He was a top notch gentleman, and was responsible for the extra work done on our AS that Jackson Center wouldn't cover. If I recall, Turner may be out of the Airstream business also. (I could be wrong, but I recall having a conversation with someone over at Colonial, who said they bought some of their inventory.)
Yes, Turner's is out of business. I think they closed several years ago now. I believe they had been Airstream's oldest dealer.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #262
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Sad to say, but most dealers are less informed, than the general public, about proper rigging.

Remember, there is "NO" school to teach proper rigging, not even by Airstream.

Andy,

With a quote like that then how could one go wrong.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #263
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Sad to say, but most dealers are less informed, than the general public, about proper rigging.

Remember, there is "NO" school to teach proper rigging, not even by Airstream.

Andy,

With a quote like that then how could one go wrong.
Easily and expensively.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #264
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
This thread has gone completely off-topic, and irrelevant.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #265
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
This thread has gone completely off-topic, and irrelevant.
Not to worry, someone with superior intellect will invariably feel it's their responsibility to admonish us strays, and give sage advice on what is relevant. I'll be waiting...

I suppose, until then, we'll just have to continue suffering through friendly, informative discussions on our personal past and current Airstream experiences, and knowledge of Airstream sales staff, Airstream repair staff and facilities, and how Airstream handles (or not) repairs and instruction. Apparently, the original poster of the thread is still engaged, so that may buy us some time.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #266
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Siver- don't get so agitated.. just because there's a bunch of posts here that are extraneous, and superfluous to A/S undeserved reputation, I'm sure there's a topic somewhere else for them.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #267
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Well come to find out all of that "wonderful customer service" talk is just that. TALK. I have an 07' model trailer with stress cracikng around the front compartment due to bad design and construction and Airstream says it is not there issue. My repair center has another trailer there same year and model with the same issue and Airstream has pretty much turned their nose up at the repair as if it is something that I did to the trailer. I have a call into Airstream Customer Support to hear it direct from them and will keep you all informed. So far 2 thumbs down for these guys. I thought the extra expense bought me a more stand up company...doesn't look that way at all. It appears to have been just a name. What a shame.
FWIW....The Town Hall Thread has been closed....

It is very important keeping both the positive AND critical threads active.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #268
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Once again "Sage advice" as it has been called prevails. I will be saving up my dollars so I can throw them at my self inflicted, ill educated, towing problems.

I have towed all sorts of things in the past 24 years from logs to nukes and there has always been some sort of detailed instruction in regards to the equipments capabilities and how and how not to do things to prevent the need for throwin' money at problems and make sure the user of said equipment was instructed on how to use it safely.

I love my Airstream because of what it is and it is mine. It is sad that Airstream has seemingly fallen to the fate of many others in being ruled by the "bean counter" who has no real investment or sweat equity in the company other than his constricting salary. There was a day when engineering to a set standard of quality meant something. It appears those days are slipping by very quickly and it can be seen in almost everything from bikes to spaceships.

Do instructions and details cost money? Yes they do, but they save money on the back side because they do not require as much phone time, customer service time, and over all as many bodies to explain things because the explanation is written and illustrated clearly and accurately. That is all I am asking for is clear cut instructions for my purchase that will keep me from my own self destruction. Since I have been so incompetent and caused damage to my "precisioneered" travel trailer system.

The company is going to do what they want and will soon either reap the benfits or suffer their own plight.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #269
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Talking

Quote:
Siver- don't get so agitated.. just because there's a bunch of posts here that are extraneous, and superfluous to A/S undeserved reputation, I'm sure there's a topic somewhere else for them.

The primary reason I participate in this most excellent forum is to learn about Airstreams (the good and bad). One is never too old to learn... if one keeps an open mind. And if, perhaps I can help someone out along the way, based on my actual experiences with Airstreams, that's a real bonus for me as I truly enjoy helping people. I also can't deny the entertainment factor and the camaraderie. After more than 30 years in my chosen profession, I don't naturally gravitate toward stress or negativity, so nearly everything I do tends to be based around whether it educates me, or if it amuses me. I tend to ignore things that "agitate" me, so your opinion of this thread obviously must fall firmly in the entertainment category.

Regarding "A/S undeserved reputation", I believe the jury is still clearly out on that opinion. So far, the only thing that is "extraneous, and superfluous" is those who feel it's necessary to criticize a thread, deem that the posts are "irrelevant", but contribute absolutely nothing substantive to the thread. Please read and comprehend the title, and if you just can't hack it, then I'm " sure there's a topic somewhere else" for you.

If, for instance, you were to start a thread entitled... let's say... "My Airstream is So Perfect, and The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me", due to the possible entertainment possibilities, I certainly wouldn't rain on that one and, who knows, I may actually learn something.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #270
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Engineers vs Bean Counters.

I agree, that the "Bottom Line" has taken priority over Engineering & Quality. Companies I have worked for in the past have disappeared or have been taken over because of their screwed up priorities.
As for AS giving hitch instructions. In this day and age of everyone suing everyone for any and every thing that could or might go wrong. I can't say as I blame them for not supplying specific instructions.
I don't own a newer AS, so I can't speak to the quality. All I know is what I read here. Some of it good and some of it bad for AS.
But for the price of these units even used, Oh! Sorry, I meant to say "Previously Owned! I don't blame the folks who are expecting the Quality and Reliablity to match the price.
As for dealer service. I think there are, "The Good", "The Bad" and "The Ugly".
Personally, I think this is the right place to express your opinions. That way we all have a chance to make up our own minds.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #271
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post

If, for instance, you were to start a thread entitled... let's say... "My Airstream is So Perfect, and The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me", due to the possible entertainment possibilities, I certainly wouldn't rain on that one and, who knows, I may actually learn something.
best thing that ever happened to me?
no sir...
that would be my tin-foil hat...

Alright then. I will. I'm starting another thread, and I hope you contribute.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #272
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
best thing that ever happened to me?
no sir...
that would be my tin-foil hat...

ME TOO!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #273
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Well gang,

Brought the trailer home from its metal cocoon from the winter. Tongue weight was 882 lbs. So please tell me how 600 lbs bars are going to be suitable? I just don't get it?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #274
_

. , .
that's easy krazy'...

using 400 or 600 lb bar SETS means they'll FLEX a lot under tension.

that FLEX improves the sway reduction feature on dual cam hitches.

lesser rated bars don't solve the w/d issue,

but making the compromise to carry more load on the rear/drive axle...

might be ok in some combinations and IF the front/steering axle isn't UNloaded tooooooo much.
_________

the other drivel about soft ride and less shock/vibration is mostly hogwash.

it's appealing when this stuff is mentioned and EASY for folks to repeat and think that it's real wisdom or factual..

none of which alters the reality that most LONGER/HEAVIER streams are built on inadequate foundations.

go camping BREAK the dang thing again...

get your monez' worth by USING the stream till it falls apart.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #275
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Well gang,

Brought the trailer home from its metal cocoon from the winter. Tongue weight was 882 lbs. So please tell me how 600 lbs bars are going to be suitable? I just don't get it?
Because your not looking to transfer all 882lbs

maybe 600 or 800lb bars would work depending how stiff the TV suspension is

Our tongue weight has been as high as 1200lbs and I use 1000lb bars, Burb is pretty soft with the AutoRide suspension.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #276
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well gang,

Your rig is in great shape.

Those that suggest hog wash, have no factual basis to go on, other than their opinion.

Anyone can call anything, hog wash. That's an opinion, without fact or foundation.

To some, if they didn't invent it, or publish it, then it must be hog wash.

Facts are fact, that an Airstream can and will be structurally punished if a stiff ride is imposed on it.

Many years of rebuilding them, because of that, is more than adequate proof.

Most owners don't have that problem with the trailer. WHY????

Because their rigging is not punishing the trailer.

Hang in there with what you have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #277
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your rig is in great shape.

Those that suggest hog wash, have no factual basis to go on, other than their opinion.

Anyone can call anything, hog wash. That's an opinion, without fact or foundation.
Here are facts on discrediting the over-hitching/over-trucking theory you champion:
Measuring Forces at the Hitch

Where are your facts?

Quote:
To some, if they didn't invent it, or publish it, then it must be hog wash.

Facts are fact, that an Airstream can and will be structurally punished if a stiff ride is imposed on it.
There is nothing published by Airstream, or anywhere else (that I've been able to find) supporting this claim.

Quote:
Many years of rebuilding them, because of that, is more than adequate proof.
I'm sure you've done many repairs. Stating as fact, the cause of damage, is your, as yet, undocumented opinion. This isn't the first time this has been discussed. Without violating your repairman-client privilege, you could easily itemize tow vehicle type, hitch type/rating, trailer year/make/model, and damage/repair involved.
That would be facts. Those facts would go a long way in buttressing your opinion.

Quote:
Most owners don't have that problem with the trailer. WHY????

Because their rigging is not punishing the trailer.
Based on what data?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #278
_

. , .
Quote:
Your rig is in great shape....Hang in there with what you have...
that's not what was posted in the FIRST 20 notes of this thread.

try RE reading the first 25 posts, then look at the pics in post 103-4 and the LONG exchange in the 150s-to-170s...

the players are NOW repeating answers but the answers are somehow different?

RERUNS usually are from the same scripts even in fictional dramas or comedy routines.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Well gang,

I stay out of these hitching discussions because I usually don't have much to contribute, but here is what I think about this question. The strength of the bars is dependent on more than the tongue weight. The softness of the suspension is a large contributing factor to this decision. I have a 1979 Safari with a gross weight of 5800 lbs, I don't know what the tongue weight is. With my 1977 Lincoln Continental, with very soft suspension, I need bars of at least 1000 lbs in order to level the car and trailer. With my 1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, bars of much less are needed, as the suspension on the Dodge is very stiff. A 250 lb person can stand on the rear bumper and it will not move. If I use a drawbar with a very short length the bumper will only drop about 1", if I use a drewbar with a 15" length, I need to use 600 lb or so bars to bring the truck and trailer level.

The suspension of the tow vehicle and the length of the draw bar, not just the tongue weight, must go into the calculation of determining the strength of the bars.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #280
_

. , .
according to DIRECT posting from the PREZ of a/s HERE on these forums....

the "trailer axle/s" are the primary determinant of "ride/vibration" for the travel trailers they produce.

not the hitch, not the tire size OR load rating, not even the INFLATION pressure of the tires...

of course the pres of a/s has very limited history or understanding of the product,

and almost NO resources or staff focused on understanding these issue...

cheers
2air'