Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #141
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Have you heard back from Jackson center regarding your problems?
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
I had to call them and their response was nothing more than "you are out of warranty sorry. We can't tell if you had you rig or hitch setup correctly or not or if there was something else that you may have caused." These were not exact words from them, but you can see Andy's quotes here which very much duplicate the words that were given to me over the phone.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Krazyjohnny. That stinks man. I am going to the Mothership around the middle of December mainly just to see the place, stay at the tera port, etc, as I don't have any issues that need warranty work just yet. If I get a chance, and the nerve, I will ask them about their lack of customer service to those that are having what I consider pretty serious issues with nearly new trailers.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #144
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Krazyjohnny. That stinks man. I am going to the Mothership around the middle of December mainly just to see the place, stay at the tera port, etc, as I don't have any issues that need warranty work just yet. If I get a chance, and the nerve, I will ask them about their lack of customer service to those that are having what I consider pretty serious issues with nearly new trailers.
You might as well start at the "top" of the list.

Ask for Dave Schumann, when your at the service department.

You can also call ahead and make an appointment with him.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #145
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You might as well start at the "top" of the list.

Ask for Dave Schumann, when your at the service department.

You can also call ahead and make an appointment with him.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I think Dave is the individual that called me last week regarding my comment card/survey I sent them after I bought my trailer.

Edit-it was Jim ??? that called me. I plan to call him back this morning.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #146
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Thanks Andy. I think Dave is the individual that called me last week regarding my comment card/survey I sent them after I bought my trailer.

Edit-it was Jim ??? that called me. I plan to call him back this morning.
You must have talked to Jim Parrot.

He is a well informed, knowledgeable, very nice person, that has been around Airstream for many years, and is in charge of warranty Customer Service.

He works directly under Dave Schumann.

Andy
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #147
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Jim is the guy my service folks have been dealing with. I called him directly and spoke with him. He is a nice guy. No complaints about his demeanor at all. Their policy is the stinker. They got my 50 large and seem to left me on my own. Everyone here has been extremely helpful.

The owners manual needs some serious updating and editing to the specifics of each trailer model. I have heard just in this string about running gear balancing, tires, suspension of the trailer, suspension on the TV, hitching, type of tow vehicle, etc. that could have caused the problem I am having repaired. Some of this is mentioned in the manual but nothing on details on some of this stuff. Ther was info on caster and camber of the axles, tire maintenance, wheel bearing packing, hitch heights, and washing and waxing the trailer.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
South West BC , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
What brand hitch do you have? If it's a Reese, all the trunions are the same size that go into the ball mount. The different in size is the square hole for the bars.

Airstream switched to Goodyear Marathons, many years ago, and still use them today. Make sure you get the running gear balanced. If you can only get the tire and wheel balanced, there are other options available to complete the balancing setup.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The photos should show the difference in size of the trunions on my 600# Reese dual cam anti sway bars. Should I take up a link on the small trunion?

After I switched out my 1200# bars the ride in our 3/4 ton 4x4 softened and the trailer floats along the hi-ways (except I-5's concrete washboard north of Seattle) compared to the ride with the 1200# bars.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sway%20bar%20trunion%20size%20comparison%20005.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	90523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sway%20bar%20trunion%20size%20comparison%20006.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	90524  

1983 31' Limited
Jim and Lorraine
British Columbia
Kajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #149
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Reese says the magic number is 5 links

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #150
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajendo View Post
Hi Andy,

The photos should show the difference in size of the trunions on my 600# Reese dual cam anti sway bars. Should I take up a link on the small trunion?

After I switched out my 1200# bars the ride in our 3/4 ton 4x4 softened and the trailer floats along the hi-ways (except I-5's concrete washboard north of Seattle) compared to the ride with the 1200# bars.

Jim
Jim, you would have got the same effect decreasing the tension (load) on your 1200# bars. The rating of the bars is irrelevant. The force that you transfer is what is making the difference; 400# of force transferred with 600# bars is the same as 400# of force transferred with 1200# bars...

Only your wallet would still be heavier...
Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #151
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I would disagree, the sping loading of the bars are very different.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #152
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Jim, you would have got the same effect decreasing the tension (load) on your 1200# bars. The rating of the bars is irrelevant. The force that you transfer is what is making the difference; 400# of force transferred with 600# bars is the same as 400# of force transferred with 1200# bars...

Only your wallet would still be heavier...
You would "NOT" have gotten the same effect.

You would not have transfered the proper weight to the front of the tow vehicle.

A proper rated hitch, must be properly installed, "AND" properly adjusted, for the purpose intended.

The rating of the bars is "everything".

Violated anyone of those and the hitch torsion bars, will not do what it's supposed to do.

The end result of that might be, what you hope will never happen to you or your Airstream.

Andy
Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Same damage on my trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
All,

The more I research this the more it sounds like it could be filed as a Class action, especially since this has been well documented and known for at least 2 model years prior to mine and there were no design changes made.
Just FYI, I checked my trailer after seeing your pictures and found identical fractures. I'll be following this thread--please keep us updated.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
emdubyadee,

We should get together sometime and make a you tube video. Maybe that would get some attention. The whole spring bar thing is totally baffling to me. Kind of like quantum mechanics and "anti-matter". Distribution of weight is distribution of weight. The size of the bars shouldn't matter as long as you do not use the bars to their complete rated capacity.

Andy,

You or Airstream got some splainin' to do. (in my best Ricky Ricardo voice)
Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #155
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
emdubyadee,

We should get together sometime and make a you tube video. Maybe that would get some attention. The whole spring bar thing is totally baffling to me. Kind of like quantum mechanics and "anti-matter". Distribution of weight is distribution of weight. The size of the bars shouldn't matter as long as you do not use the bars to their complete rated capacity.

Andy,

You or Airstream got some splainin' to do. (in my best Ricky Ricardo voice)
Load equalizing hitch torsion bars, are intended to transfer weight, "AND" still offer a soft ride for the trailer, when bumps are hit.

By somes folks theory, using railroad tracks for torsion bars, would be OK.

If that is considered nonsense, then what is considered correct?

The simple fact is that the bars must also have adequate flexing. If not, damages to the trailer will occur.

This has been said many times, and still has many dis-believers.

So be it, then they should not be surprised when the damages show up.

Certainly, those that have down graded the rating of the bars, have "ALL," without exception, stated, better handling and a softer ride.

So, are they wrong?

Andy
Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #156
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Limited
South West BC , British Columbia
"Certainly, those that have down graded the rating of the bars, have "ALL," without exception, stated, better handling and a softer ride.

So, are they wrong?

Andy "

Stay with it Andy.

I switched from 1200# to 600# Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars and have enjoyed the softer ride.

1983 31' Limited
Jim and Lorraine
British Columbia
Kajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #157
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajendo View Post
"Certainly, those that have down graded the rating of the bars, have "ALL," without exception, stated, better handling and a softer ride.

So, are they wrong?

Andy "

Stay with it Andy.

I switched from 1200# to 600# Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars and have enjoyed the softer ride.
And so have a number of other people done as you have, and have enjoyed the improvement.

But, nay sayers insist we are all incorrect.

Thanks for the posted feedback.

Andy
Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #158
_

. , .
Quote:
...The whole spring bar thing is totally baffling to me. Kind of like quantum mechanics and "anti-matter". Distribution of weight is distribution of weight. The size of the bars shouldn't matter as long as you do not use the bars to their complete rated capacity...
hiya crazy...

this comment is correct and supported by a LOT of data.

a couple of DAZE ago the forum software farted and a string of posts was LOST...

(not counting those DELETED for nastiness)

i will attempt to PUT those posts back up NOW and UNedited as they appeared...

because SOME of the info was/is useful...

i cannot put them BACK under the original poster name but can put them in QUOTES and will....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #159
_

. , .
here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi

The spring rate of lower rated bars is lower. If you were traveling on perfectly flat roads the spring rate would not matter, but you are not. High rated bars are too stiff and transfer all the shock of the bumps and holes to both the trailer and TW when each wheel encounters them. This leads to a harsh ride which does damage to the trailer and the truck. The trailer (for economic and weight reasons) is more fragile and will fail due to this "abuse". If Wally were alive, he would have improved the product, after hearing and experiencing the problems, when he personally caravaned with the users 5 months a year.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #160
_

. , .
next came...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by dwightdi
The spring rate of lower rated bars is lower…. This leads to a harsh ride which does damage to the trailer and the truck. The trailer (for economic and weight reasons) is more fragile and will fail due to this "abuse". .
How do you know this? What is ‘spring rate’? Do you mean ‘spring constant’?
What exactly does the “600” or “1200” pound rating on weight distribution bars refer to?
Is it even possible to transfer 400lbs of weight to the steer axle with “600” pound bars—on a Suburban? Magnum? Jaguar? What wheelbase?

There’s some gross over-simplification and serious broad-brushing going on here.

The chassis’ are outsourced for A/S- I’m sure the manufacturer provides the resisting bending moment, section modulus, and yield strength on each and every design... Does anybody have these numbers?

Can we quantify at what force the yield strength of the frame was exceeded, or how many cycles? Can we even be sure these are fatigue cracks that we are seeing here?

How about the tow vehicle suspension?

Is it possible to make the assumption that the forces acting on the A/S frame are appreciably different with “heavy-duty” suspension vs. a passenger vehicle? What about if the suspension on the passenger vehicle is beyond its rated displacement vector, and is returning a force constant that is equal to no suspension at all? My point is: again, way too many variables for blanket statements of fact.

You can do ‘jump tests’ on the bumper, or make wildly over-simplified generalizations all day long- until you start basing your argument in fact, I’m going with what I know-
The only facts right now are manufacturer specifications on rated loads, tow capacity, cargo, etc… for vehicles AND hitches.

Despite what some here say: there are no recommendations by Airstream on vehicle ride quality (I’d love to see some A/S documentation on that to prove otherwise). From what I know, there appears to be very little difference anyhow, in forces acting at the coupler, between a “soft sprung” and “hard sprung” tow vehicle.