Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #241
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
I want to thank everyone for their comments and wisdom. I always learn a lot from everybody. As a matter of fact I will make no decision in regard to my trailer with out consulting you all first. Thanks again.

Julie
jaojamjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #242
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Did not mean to demand anything from you Andy. All I have gotten out of this is that I have a tow vehicle that is overated to tow my trailer along with the fact I should be using 600 lb WD bars for my 800lb + tongue weight. I simply want to know what Airstream has available as to how to hitch properly, choose the correct tow vehicle, and keep everything balanced so that I do not have to keep making the same repair. It has become evident that none of us here have the correct super duper top secret Airstream security clearance to obtain that info from the Airstream skunkworks. Until then, I will wait here with my foil cap on for the aliens to deliver the info I so nastily demanded from those who have told me I am doing it all wrong.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #243
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Read your manual ....that's it.

If you can't do it with the info available on the forum's, there's always the classifieds
Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #244
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
The manual does not go into the details of the WD bars nor does it describe anywhere the rating of your vehicle. It also does not detail any of the "time tested techniques" that have been spoken of vaguely here.

I think if the instructions said to come and find my answers here that should be told in the owners manual. It is not and there again lies the rub to all of this.

The manufacturers owners manual is not specific enough to trailer model, size, axle set-up, hitch set-up, or vehicle set-up.

The simple fact is that there is an issue with the way they have built these trailers as of late. There are several documented cases of the same issue that I had with my trailer. This is not only to my specific model, but to others with the same front access configuration. The sad part is they refuse to admit to their own oversight or lack of engineering and provide a repair process.

All of the information provided here, some vague and some extremely detailed, points to the lack of info given to the owners on how to maintain their trailer properly, hitch the trailer properly, and what vehicle to use to tow with to prevent damage from occurring. Most here I have gathered are the more do-it-youself types instead of "I'll just let the dealer handle it". You can't really do it yourself without an accurate owners manual.

I would guarantee you that if I pulled on to any Airstream dealers lot today with my 2000 Ford, 3/4 ton, 2wd, crew cab, short bed, diesel pick-up and asked if that was the correct vehicle to tow their trailer with prior to the sale they would say "you won't have any problems" and take my money and watch me drive away with their trailer in tow.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #245
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I would guarantee you that if I pulled on to any Airstream dealers lot today with my 2000 Ford, 3/4 ton, 2wd, crew cab, short bed, diesel pick-up and asked if that was the correct vehicle to tow their trailer with prior to the sale they would say "you won't have any problems" and take my money and watch me drive away with their trailer in tow.
I don't know if it's really too much to ask, for some guidelines about what works and what doesn't with any particular trailer, but to ask about the vehicles suitability and not include the hitch, really doesn't tell a dealer or anybody for that matter, all of the information needed to make a decision about its suitability.
You could beat a trailer to death with a 1/2 ton 2wd four banger too.
Or you could tow with a bigfoot or diesel rig and have no problems, with the proper hitch and set-up.
I find that, in lieu of somebody else taking responsibility(which isn't happening, for some reason) that I must do the research and determine what works for my particular combination.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #246
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
A RV dealer, will always tell you "exactly" what you want to hear, no exceptions.

They strive to be your top notch friend, so that when you total a trailer, as an example, you will go back to the same "my friend" dealer.

It's been that way for over 40 years, that I know of.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What?

I am disappointed to hear of all of the problems with the new AS's. And how sensitive they are when it comes to the TV. All this special stuff that must be considered when hitching one up. My '74 Argosy doesn't seem to have as many issues as the new AS's. Granted there are cracks in the front interior dome just above the windows. But I attribute that to 36 years of exposure to the elements, especially UV light and temp changes and yes vibration from being towed.
My plan is to hook this thing to the back of my 3/4 ton Extended Cab Dodge pickup, make sure the Argosy is setting level, the gas is off, safety chains and lights are connected. Check the tires, brakes and lights and head on down the road.
Along with the Argosy I have a '69 Shasta 14' er. That I just hook up and go with. The problem with the Shasta is it has wood rot in a lot of the wall structure from leaking. Life was so simple back then.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Argosy is great. I just think people took more pride in their design and work back then. Todya it is about the almighty buck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
After reading this forum for a few years now, let me see if I can get all of this straight...

To say there's a lot of expertise, comment, experience, recommendations, wild speculation, and plain old horse-hooey is the understatement of the year.

How to know which is which?

On one side I have speculation, and on the other, I have manufacturer specifications.

It's a no-brainer

BUT, that's not the rub here...

What some are saying here is: yes, it's a class IV trailer, but you can't tow it with a class IV truck and hitch, because it will break.

Airstream knows this, and have collaborated in an ongoing coverup by purposely omitting any relevant verbiage on specific (or even generic) recommendations for tow vehicles or hitch ratings- thereby killing two litigious birds (under-rated towing/ inadequate structural design) with one stone... if you will.

I'm gonna stick with my 3/4T truck and 1400lb rated torsion bars.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #249
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
get some answers from a dealer that sells alot of airstreams.i tow with a 3/4 excursion and a hensley.the dealer recommended this and with the 1400lb bars it tows beautifully.colonial in nj has some experienced staff that im sure,have seen just about seen every airstream problem.they tow alot of their trailers to rv shows with f250s from what i remember.good luck
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #250
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Specs?

Here's is what my original owners manual says for my Argosy 26. On the ratio between the trailer weight and the engine size. To determine this, divide the total loaded weight of your trailer by the cubic inch displacement of your engine. 15# per cubic inch is optimal.
In virtually every picture in the original sales manual. It shows the trailer being pulled by one of those big station wagons from the '70's era. Of coarse those old "boats" didn't have much for springs on either the front or rear. There are instructions for using an equalizer hitch to get your trailer and TV to set level.
I believe that the most important thing is to make sure your trailer has the right "attitude" or towing position. That being LEVEL when hitched to the TV. If the TV's suspension is too soft, allowing the attitude of the trailer and TV to change dramatically when in tow, it will creat serious handling problems. Thus the need for an equalizer hitch.
On the other hand if the TV's suspension is too rigid or the equalizer is set with too much restraint. It will beat the trailer to death.
It is also important to have good shocks on both the trailer and the TV. The TV shocks are very important. If your TV bounches up and down freely, this puts more stress on the equalizer hitch (if you have one). It also allows the weight transfer to vary on both the trailer and TV. This affects the handling dramatically.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #251

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Amen! I have received tons of quality help on here and read Andys advice when doing searches. I would be lost (or broke) without these people helping.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #252
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
When the owner of the dealership has the same trailer and tows it with the same tow vehicle and hitch set-up that he reccomends to you I have the tendancy to think he is not misleading me in my set-up.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #253
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
When the owner of the dealership has the same trailer and tows it with the same tow vehicle and hitch set-up that he reccomends to you I have the tendancy to think he is not misleading me in my set-up.
Sad to say, but most dealers are less informed, than the general public, about proper rigging.

Remember, there is "NO" school to teach proper rigging, not even by Airstream.

Andy
Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #254
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sad to say, but most dealers are less informed, than the general public, about proper rigging.

Remember, there is "NO" school to teach proper rigging, not even by Airstream.

Andy
That is, indeed, unfortunate. Particularly in light of the fact that my Airstream dealer (and Airstream repair facility) sold and installed WD hitches, sway control, brake controllers, etc. When I bought the trailer I also had them install a Prodigy controller, and a friction sway bar (on their recommendation). As part of their fantastic orientation program, which involved an overnight stay, they gave me several hours of instruction on every feature of the Airstream. They also gave instruction on the brake controller, sway bar, and demonstrated how to properly set up my WD hitch, and then had me do it to make sure I was listening. It would seem that if there was any problem with my combined rig, it should have been evident, and mentioned, at that time.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #255
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
SR

I'm sure a lot of people here would like to know just what dealer that is.

CA?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #256
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Bob,
Unfortunately, you'll notice I used the past tense. It was Parkview RV in Delaware. They were Airstream dealers for decades until a couple of years ago when they stopped selling them. Now they only sell SOBs but, last I heard, they are still an authorized Airstream parts and repair facility. I can't say enough about how good the sales experience was, and they also held up their end on the warranty issues. At least, as far as Airstream would support them, and in one case, replaced some corroded parts at their expense. (trying to be diplomatic here. I wouldn't want to endanger another thread)

Anyway, I still have my extended warranty through them for a couple more years, and wouldn't hesitate to use them for repairs or recommend them. It's family owned, and everyone we encountered was very nice and helpful (even the repair tech who said "Hey... we don't make'em, we just fix'em up as best we can". I told him that would make a great motto.
WDCU
Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #257
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
Bob,
Unfortunately, you'll notice I used the past tense. It was Parkview RV in Delaware. They were Airstream dealers for decades until a couple of years ago when they stopped selling them.
They indeed, were oustanding, fo many many years.

One of the believers in "outstanding customer service".

Andy
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #258
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Bob,
Unfortunately, you'll notice I used the past tense. It was Parkview RV in Delaware. They were Airstream dealers for decades until a couple of years ago when they stopped selling them. Now they only sell SOBs but, last I heard, they are still an authorized Airstream parts and repair facility. I can't say enough about how good the sales experience was, and they also held up their end on the warranty issues. At least, as far as Airstream would support them, and in one case, replaced some corroded parts at their expense. (trying to be diplomatic here. I wouldn't want to endanger another thread)

Anyway, I still have my extended warranty through them for a couple more years, and wouldn't hesitate to use them for repairs or recommend them. It's family owned, and everyone we encountered was very nice and helpful (even the repair tech who said "Hey... we don't make'em, we just fix'em up as best we can". I told him that would make a great motto.
About 10 years ago when I first startd to become interested in buying an Airsteam, I visited Parkview on several occassions and talked to one of their salesmen, Gary Behler, whom as I recall told me that he actually lived in an Airstream fulltime. Now there's a guy whom I'm sure understood Airstreams!

I talked to him several times over the course of a couple years, but ended up buying our first (and last) Airstream from Turner Airstream near Pittsburgh, PA, which was a BIG mistake. In hindsight, we probably should have bought ours at Parkview.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Bob,

everyone we encountered was very nice and helpful (even the repair tech who said "Hey... we don't make'em, we just fix'em up as best we can". I told him that would make a great motto.
Very interesting quote. I was told something similar at Colonial when I brought up some issues - "We don't make'em - we just sell'em".
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
About 10 years ago when I first startd to become interested in buying an Airsteam, I visited Parkview on several occassions and talked to one of their salesmen, Gary Behler, whom as I recall told me that he actually lived in an Airstream fulltime. Now there's a guy whom I'm sure understood Airstreams!

I talked to him several times over the course of a couple years, but ended up buying our first (and last) Airstream from Turner Airstream near Pittsburgh, PA, which was a BIG mistake. In hindsight, we probably should have bought ours at Parkview.
Gary was our salesman. He did indeed live in an Airstream, owned an Argosy, and has since retired from Parkview. He was a top notch gentleman, and was responsible for the extra work done on our AS that Jackson Center wouldn't cover. If I recall, Turner may be out of the Airstream business also. (I could be wrong, but I recall having a conversation with someone over at Colonial, who said they bought some of their inventory.)
WDCU