RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Schaumburg , Illinois
Airstream Newbie!

Hello everyone, first let me say, the AS community is amazing. Its incredible how many of you are willing to share your knowledge, experience and support each other. So thank you!! please keep doing it. So after more than 2 years of dreaming and counting Airstreams on the highway during every road trip, we finally found something that we can afford. 2007 Safari 20’ SE, looks beautiful in the pictures. The trailer is being sold through auto broker and is being delivered to us (Chicago NW suburbs) from MN. Since I know nothing... how do I inspect it upon its arrival? I have 7 days to drive it/inspect it and ultimately confirm acceptance. If any of you have suggestions on what to look at and test, please share. Also, if you are from IL and you would recommend a place to go to for inspection or if you know somebody in IL that could do an inspection at our place (I will make sure their travel expense is covered), please advise or share contact info. Thank you very much, I appreciate all your support.
Derek Volov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
First, welcome to the Airstream neighborhood. A lot of great people and information here. Concerning inspections, if you look at the top left of the Forum’s page you will see “Portal”. Hit that and look on the lower right side of the page that is titled Inspectors. You can put in your state and see where the inspectors are located. At the very least, someone may give you a business that inspects Airstreams. Good luck.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Another alternative would be to have it inspected at the Airstream dealer in Naperville. Having it inspected before leaving MN might be an idea as well. We have a 2007 Classic and there has been a lot of maintainencee and repairs over the years. You want to hope that the previous owner took good care of the trailer but sometimes that isnt the case.
My Wife says that the best thing for an inspection is your nose. Mold, mildew, and/or sewer smells are big red flags. Also scents that cover up bad smells. Long Long Honeymoon has a YouTube video on buying an Airstream. He also wrote a book about the topic as well.
Im attaching an inspection checklist for you. You really need somebody that knows their way around RV's and even better if they know Airsteams. There are many videos on YouTube that you can watch to educate yourself. Also, "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" would be a must have.
Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air trailer inspection.pdf (989.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If I am understanding this, the auto broker is going to transport the Airstream several hundred miles to your location and then give you 7 days to inspect the trailer before you accept it. I assume if you say no, the auto broker will pick up the trailer and take it back several hundred miles.

This all seems seriously odd to me...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
If I am understanding this, the auto broker is going to transport the Airstream several hundred miles to your location and then give you 7 days to inspect the trailer before you accept it. I assume if you say no, the auto broker will pick up the trailer and take it back several hundred miles.

This all seems seriously odd to me...
Yes it does. BUT many businesses have had to get creative in the last two months. I would still expect a non-refundable fee for time and gasoline expenses.

Get the VIN number and check the registration NOW. You don't want to buy a stolen trailer... though there are bound to be a few repos and voluntary surrenders to dealers happening too.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Schaumburg , Illinois
You have no idea how concerned I was about this... the price is good also...
The rig was owned by someone that recently passed away and now his son is selling through an auto broker. And yes, at delivery I will receive the title and I have 7 days to inspect it and if I dont accept, they will pick it up with no charge. Its all in the contract and transaction is insured. I guess it may just be a worthless piece of paper... Do you guys think this sounds too good to be true? Let me know before I send the money from my bank to the holding account (where it should stay till I confirm acceptance, then will be released to the seller).
Old 04-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Volov View Post
You have no idea how concerned I was about this... the price is good also...
The rig was owned by someone that recently passed away and now his son is selling through an auto broker. And yes, at delivery I will receive the title and I have 7 days to inspect it and if I dont accept, they will pick it up with no charge. Its all in the contract and transaction is insured. I guess it may just be a worthless piece of paper... Do you guys think this sounds too good to be true? Let me know before I send the money from my bank to the holding account (where it should stay till I confirm acceptance, then will be released to the seller).
There are plenty of scams out there. The idea that a broker would deliver any item with the hope that you would make the purchase seems out of the ordinary to me. I would proceed cautiously. I would not give any money to anyone until the Airstream is delivered and you have title in hand and have ID'd the current title holder.

I have heard various stories with similar sounding circumstances and they were scams. Please be careful.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
sounds fishy

This sounds fishy. I have to say I would not do this. If it's only a few hours away you should ask if you can come and see it in person. See where that goes!

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
gdanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Schaumburg , Illinois
Thank you everyone for all your comments. You guys made me really think about this... the fact that I have to do a bank transfer for the full amount upfront to the "holding" account then take delivery... I checked the vin through VINFAX and there is really not a lot of info on the report, it shows no accidents, not stolen, no flood, basically no to everything. But I can't really find anything anywhere about current registration (perhaps it is not registered at this time since I was told the owner passed away) or any prior registrations (maybe this kind of data is not available online?). I am definitely loosing the warm and fuzzy feeling about this deal... looks like maybe I still have to wait to become the Airstream Newbie a little while longer. Sincere thank you to all of you.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdanderson View Post
This sounds fishy. I have to say I would not do this. If it's only a few hours away you should ask if you can come and see it in person. See where that goes!

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
I agree. If you ask to drive up and see it, you might get one excuse after another why you can't. Then you will know for sure this was a scam.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Schaumburg , Illinois
I started this thread with saying how amazing this community is and this how I want to end. Thanks to your wisdom and hints I ended up doing a lot of research on the sweet deal I was being given. What I have learned made me feel sick to my stomach. I found number of examples were people actually transferred the money and have never received the vehicle (yes, vehicles, there are plenty of examples online on classic cars where process was pretty much the same as described to me on this AS: seller is out of the country, selling through independent 3rd party auto broker, car is crated and ready for shipment, sign the contract, transfer money, receive the vehicle, 7 days to inspect it, all insured...). Well, looks like I will not be an AS owner just yet but thanks to you I may still be one in the future. I would be proud to be part of such an amazing community. Please, continue to share your thoughts, and give advise to fools like me. I am sure there are plenty of us out there who need little nudge from someone with experience not to jump the gun and realize that too good is never true. Thank you All, Be Safe.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Volov View Post
Please, continue to share your thoughts, and give advise to fools like me. I am sure there are plenty of us out there who need little nudge from someone with experience not to jump the gun and realize that too good is never true. Thank you All, Be Safe.
“A fool and his money Are soon parted”. Derek, you’re no fool, you still have your money. Don’t be overly anxious. Vintage Airstreams come up for sale every day. You’ll find the right one for you. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Be patient and keep looking. It took me several months to find my first AS. It was a 2009 25' that I found on Airforums Classified. There are always some for sale.

You will know when you found the right one for you. Wishing you the best in your search.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote