RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Additional fabric

Has anyone purchased additional upholstery fabric ( in my case, midnight sun) to cover other items? I purchased a 3" Serta memory foam mattress topper and cut it to fit in the dinette area of our FB Safari. It makes a fantastic bed and lounging area. I was really disappointed with the cushions not fitting snugly and being too short on top of the table when down. I scraped my legs on the table everytime I sat down on it when it was made into a bed. Anyway, the foam pad takes care of everything when laid on top of the cushions, but I would like to cover it. My other question is, do you think anyone would ever want to use that heavy comforter that came with the Safari (when it was time to trade for another model!)? I thought about cutting that up for one side of the foam and getting some other type of black fabric for the other side.

Teresa
tport40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Teresa -- My informal impression is that Airstream buys a fabric lot in the thousands of yards and when it's gone, it's gone. I seem to recall midnight sun is no longer available for new Airstreams. Inquiring about any odd lots remaining might not be what the Airstream store would want to do -- your only bet might be having a dealer inquire for you.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Less Expensive option

Go to your local Hancock Fabric Store with a piece of Midnight Sun upholstery (take your smallest cushion) and see if they can match it. Bet they can.

If not, they'll surely find something to coordinate.

As for the bedspread from hell, I don't know about you, but I've already cut mine up into cushions, AND have made a new bedspread for the bed from microfiber suede. By the time you sell yours it will be YOURS not a factory model.

Paula
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Call Airstream. There's always fabric remaining from a production run. They were willing to do an interior from discontinued fabric when I was looking to buy new a couple of years ago. They keep extra to do repair etc.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Teresa---I'll second Craftsman's suggestion. The factory does have odd lots of fabric of all types. At the International last year in Oregon, the factory store brought maybe 50 different materials that were in too small a quantity for them to continue to keep. I bought the remainder of a bolt, perhaps ten yds or so, at $4 a yd, not the usual $40 for the ultra suede. Worked out great.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

fabric for mattress

Just an update...I ended up getting a lightweight black denim to cover the memory foam mattress. Having that mattress cut to fit the back area of the lounge when the table is down has made a drastic improvement to the comfort. No more cushions sliding around, or scraped legs from the table. We're heading to Camping on the Gulf in Destin for a month in October and I doubt we'll ever put the table back up. We'll just keep a couple of tv trays underneath the lounge.

Teresa
tport40 is offline   Reply With Quote