RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #1

2007 23' Safari SE
Arlington , Texas
2007 Safari 23SE Electrical System Losing power

Hi all,

Just returned from a great weekend trip at Lake Murray Oklahoma. I have my 23D plugged in with 110 shore power with an adapter to the 30 amp trailer cable. Went in today and turned on the lights that are quickly dimming. Typically, I can run the A/C unit with the 110 but nothing at this point. Appears that 12 volt system is low and dying there is no 110 AC. I checked the circuit breakers that are all on.

Is this an indicator of a failed inverter and I am I contributing to the failure by plugging in the 110 or shore power at home?

Thanks
Ken and Sandy
KeninTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you have no 120 volt at the trailer, your converter has no power to charge the batteries. Is the power to the trailer on a GFI outlet and is it possibly tripped? I would work my way from where the trailer is plugged in and work my way to the trailer, checking voltage at verify connector. You should also loook at the polarity of the voltage going to the trailer. A simple polarity checker costs a few bucks and can be found at many of the big box stores.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
2007 Safari 23SE Electrical System Losing power

Also worth checking but this is for the 12volt system only.

Battery condition?
Convertor working?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Does the microwave have power? If not, then there's nothing to charge the batteries. If the microwave has power, is the Use/Store in Use position? If it is, then the converter is not putting out 12 VDC for lights and battery charging.

Is the circuit breaker on the power pedestal on? Sometimes people will turn it off for safety. What is the "adapter" you mention? You should be using the 30 amp cord from your AS to the power pedestal without an adapter.

Converter - Uses shore/external power to provide 110 VAC in the trailer and 12 VDC for lights, furnace, fridge and charging the batteries if the Use/Store is in Use position.

Inverter - Uses battery power to make 110 VAC for a few plugs in the trailer, usually labeled with a blue sticker.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Did you check the breakers by turning them off then back on?
Many times when they trip they still look like they are on.
Converter has nothing to do with 120v other then using some to convert it to 12v to charge battery and power 12v equipment.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

2007 23' Safari SE
Arlington , Texas
Thanks for all the advice from each of you for a rookie Airstream owner with little electrical knowledge. Love this 23D after giving my 2011 Lance 1685 to my daughter.

Checked the GFI and it was ok. I have a 110 - 30 Amp adapter from my extension cord. I found that the 30 amp chord that plugs into the extension cord adapter and subsequently, the 23D appears to be deteriorating as the connector is separating from the main line that protects the 3 wires. Safety issue, so I will replace first. The microwave light is back on and the battery is charging again.

We bought this in August and later found that the lights would flicker with shore power and if we have two many lights or accessories running, the stereo will go off. Today, when we turned on the rear bedroom lights, the stereo shut off. It did that again when the converter fan kicked in. Not sure if the batteries are the issue that they are not charging enough to handle all the normal requirements or if the converter is failing or if I have a short. I will check the battery voltage today to see what it reads.

Thanks
Ken & Sandy
KeninTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You could have weak batteries but a bit more likely is one or more poor 12V wire connections. that would account for the flickering and radio and could also explain poor converter charging performance. check the battery resting voltage since that is easiest. Fully charged, resting with no load, it will read 12.8 if the battery is in near perfect condition, less as condition is deteriorated.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninTexas View Post
Checked the GFI and it was ok. I have a 110 - 30 Amp adapter from my extension cord. I found that the 30 amp chord that plugs into the extension cord adapter and subsequently, the 23D appears to be deteriorating as the connector is separating from the main line that protects the 3 wires.
Thanks
Ken & Sandy
Are you plugging into your home outlet using an adapter from the Airstream power cord to a 110 outlet? Maybe a picture would clarify this? I think you mean you have a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter and you are connecting a household extension cord to the 30 amp cord with the adapter. That sounds like your problem, the adapter is not making a good connection.

The 30 amp plug that attaches to the Airstream pushes in then turns slightly to the right, then you screw down the ring that's around the plug to make a good connection.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Airstream Newbie! | Top | - »