Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Wall cushions

I have several “snaps” on the wall adjacent to the twin beds. From what I can tell this is for a padded cushion? They are missing and I have found no good descriptions or pictures? We are trying to keep with the 70’s styling. Is there a good resource for material? Can anyone provide a picture or detail?

Thanks in advance!
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bedroom Wall Comfort Covers

Greetings balrgn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I have several “snaps” on the wall adjacent to the twin beds. From what I can tell this is for a padded cushion? They are missing and I have found no good descriptions or pictures? We are trying to keep with the 70’s styling. Is there a good resource for material? Can anyone provide a picture or detail?

Thanks in advance!
These wall pads were called "Bedroom Wall Comfort Covers" in Airstream literature and were part of the International package on my '64 Overlander - - or as an individual option on the Land Yacht series. On my coach, they were originally tan, quilted vinyl. My coach also has a coordinating ceiling panel as can be seen in the photo below:

The material and quilting pattern were identical between the ceiling and wall panels. On my '64, the panels are attached with rivets. I suspect that Airstream probably switched to snap attachment when the switch was made to the vinyl clad aluminum for the walls.

When I had the interior of my coach refurbished, the Fowlers replaced the badly worn bedroom wall comfort covers with a fabric that coordinated with my new blue/gray interior color scheme; but I kept the near mint original ceiling panel in-place.

I suspect that you will find that making a poster board template will be the best method for creating a pattern for your replacement if the original isn't available for a pattern. I haven't run across anyone who offers a pre-sewn replacement, and I suspect that this is partly a function as no two of these installations are 100% identical.

Good luck with your investigation and project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Balrgn,
On my '69, I did have a pad that was attached to the wall next to each of the mid twin beds. In keeping with the carpet, It was a nice shade of green. I've since gutted it, but I did keep all of the original interior pieces. I'll try to find it and take a picture for you.
69Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I wish I could remember who told me that if you ever rolled over at night and ran into the cold aluminum you'd know why there was a padded wall. Anyway, we haven't gotten that far yet, but I have done some searching for "appropriate" material. Try www.contemporycloth.com with search word "modern". There is also a futon covers place that sells cloth by the yard with many great old patterns. They are www.mostcovers.com.

Personally, I'm glad we're not living in the trailer today. It's only 6 here in Leavenworth.

Beth
67 Sovereign
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
In my '73 model Land Yacht, it felt like the PO had fashioned the pads by putting quilting material on top of a board of some kind, then sowed matching material over the quilting. It worked quite nicely!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Cool Cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
I wish I could remember who told me that if you ever rolled over at night and ran into the cold aluminum you'd know why there was a padded wall. Anyway, we haven't gotten that far yet, but I have done some searching for "appropriate" material. Try www.contemporycloth.com with search word "modern". There is also a futon covers place that sells cloth by the yard with many great old patterns. They are www.mostcovers.com.

Personally, I'm glad we're not living in the trailer today. It's only 6 here in Leavenworth.

Beth
67 Sovereign
Boy you got that right, wakes you right up don't it! That is the insentive for getting this done in the cold weather! Thanks for the links. I have a plan now. I think luan will be sturdy enough to use, just have to pick out a fabric. Still looking for original pics, I will find them some where. It was 60º in the AM but DID it rain. Looked like a drowned rat going from the shop to the camper. I now have the (Pergo) flooring all installed!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings balrgn!

These wall pads were called "Bedroom Wall Comfort Covers" in Airstream literature and were part of the International package on my '64 Overlander - - or as an individual option on the Land Yacht series. On my coach, they were originally tan, quilted vinyl. My coach also has a coordinating ceiling panel as can be seen in the photo below:

The material and quilting pattern were identical between the ceiling and wall panels. On my '64, the panels are attached with rivets. I suspect that Airstream probably switched to snap attachment when the switch was made to the vinyl clad aluminum for the walls.

When I had the interior of my coach refurbished, the Fowlers replaced the badly worn bedroom wall comfort covers with a fabric that coordinated with my new blue/gray interior color scheme; but I kept the near mint original ceiling panel in-place.

I suspect that you will find that making a poster board template will be the best method for creating a pattern for your replacement if the original isn't available for a pattern. I haven't run across anyone who offers a pre-sewn replacement, and I suspect that this is partly a function as no two of these installations are 100% identical.

Good luck with your investigation and project!

Kevin
Thanks, that has to be the coolest ceiling we have ever seen!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
I have a 68 Overlander International and I do have one of the padded covers out in my garage. I will try to take a picture of it.

When I got the trailer, one of the bedroom windows had been broken out and that side didn't have the padded cover on it. I took the other one out with hopes of making a matching set. It had a piece of heavy cardboard type paper with a bit of padded batting material, then fabric. It seems it would be an easy thing to replace. Mine was riveted on, too...if I can remember correctly.

I will try to post a picture of it and some measurements. I just bought a digital camera. I'll probably have to get one of the kids to help with the pic.!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Cool Cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2havefun
I have a 68 Overlander International and I do have one of the padded covers out in my garage. I will try to take a picture of it.

When I got the trailer, one of the bedroom windows had been broken out and that side didn't have the padded cover on it. I took the other one out with hopes of making a matching set. It had a piece of heavy cardboard type paper with a bit of padded batting material, then fabric. It seems it would be an easy thing to replace. Mine was riveted on, too...if I can remember correctly.

I will try to post a picture of it and some measurements. I just bought a digital camera. I'll probably have to get one of the kids to help with the pic.!
That would be great. We were out looking for fabric and ideas yesterday. No luck. That wall sure is cold when you roll up to it!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Interesting...

I wonder if the wall pads were an upgrade or optional? Our unit has them, they appear to be orginal to the unit. IIRC they are fastened to the wall with rivets or screws. Appear to have a cardboard stiffener in them. They are on the phase after next of the rehab, but when I get home I will take some pictures and measurements for general reference. BTW reckon the walls were left unpadded to curb armorous assaults

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wall cushions

Greetings Aaron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I wonder if the wall pads were an upgrade or optional? Our unit has them, they appear to be orginal to the unit. IIRC they are fastened to the wall with rivets or screws. Appear to have a cardboard stiffener in them. They are on the phase after next of the rehab, but when I get home I will take some pictures and measurements for general reference. BTW reckon the walls were left unpadded to curb armorous assaults

Aaron
According to the literature that I have, the wall comfort covers were part of the International trim package. I suspect that they were likely available as a separate option as well. The would have also been a relatively easy upgrade for coach owners who wanted to add them on their own at about any point in time.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Thanks Kevin

That explains that, my Sovereign has the Interational designation. I wonder what the production numbers of International to base models was for any given year or size. Seems that almost every Airstream I have ever looked at has either been an International or better. I don't recall ever having seen a unit that wasn't an upgrade from the basic.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Wall cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc

Aaron
I have several snaps, 8 on each side. Some must be for the original curtains? A couple to hold the cushion on? Still looking for orginal photos. Have found but a few...
Just back from the RV show in Boston, all SOBs But I did find some insert trim for the molding!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02390.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	10097  
Old 01-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Silver 67, thanks so much for the fabric links, those are great. I've been looking for funky cool fabrics to redo the slip covers in. That's the best stuff I've seen yet.

I think the cushions on the wall are a great idea, but I asked the hubby (because he sleeps closest to the wall, and he said he likes being next to the cool wall on hot nights! Guess it would be best to do it in fabric that can be snapped to the wall on cold nights, and rolled up and stowed away on hot ones!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Wall cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Silver 67, thanks so much for the fabric links, those are great. I've been looking for funky cool fabrics to redo the slip covers in. That's the best stuff I've seen yet.

I think the cushions on the wall are a great idea, but I asked the hubby (because he sleeps closest to the wall, and he said he likes being next to the cool wall on hot nights! Guess it would be best to do it in fabric that can be snapped to the wall on cold nights, and rolled up and stowed away on hot ones!
I got side tracked the other day when we were out looking for material. I saw some "rug runners" I got to thinking, If we could find a design that fit the era, it would be stiff enough to use then, like on the warm nights, they could easily be stored. There is not much storage in our '75.

The best prints so far are from Beth's link!
Old 01-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
You got me

Quote:
I have several snaps, 8 on each side. Some must be for the original curtains? A couple to hold the cushion on? Still looking for orginal photos. Have found but a few...
Just back from the RV show in Boston, all SOBs But I did find some insert trim for the molding!
Makes sense that they are for side pads,
The curtain snaps on mine are further up, between the curtain track...at least I think they are. I will have to take another look when I get home. That is one thing that is kind of neat about the Vintage Airstreams...you never know what the PO did or had done in terms of customizing. I have seen things done that you would swear were done by the factory but were actually done by a compentent dealer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

The material used for this purpose in our '85 Sovereign was visually much like burlap. It too was stitched over a carboard material.

We replaced it with a piece made from a bound remnent of very, very plush carpet used in limosines. Not nearly as visually interesting as some of the options above, but very functional. As suggested above, we made a carboard patern first. Ours went in a location where there were compound curves making the fit a bit difficult.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Talking Found Pictures!!!

If anyone wants to see what the original wall pads looked like, go to www.vintageairstream.com ,go to the photo archives and look at the 65 and 66 sovereigns. Those little hummers are there for the world to see!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
they could easily be stored. There is not much storage in our '75.

I'm thinking they could be laid flat under the bed/gaucho cushions/mattresses for storage.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
dirty wall pads

Well, after reading all your thoughts on wall pads I would just like to add my two cents worth. My 93 Excella had pads. I took them out because they were one more thing to get dirty. They were dirty when we bought the unit. I did check with and upholsterer before pitching them. It would have cost about $100. plus the fabric for the two pads that I took out. They really did not have much insulation value. So out they went. I like it clean. I haven't missed them one bit.
One other thing. I also pitched the dirty bolsters on the sides of the newly recovered sofa. My husband made beautiful oak (to match the rest of the cabinets) side compartments with flat tops that open up for storage. Now we can set a glass or dinner on the new arms. With the new oak floor, new recovered sofa, new side compartments and reupholstered valances (to match sofa) the unit looks like new. Love it.