Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Question Upholstry: Ultraleather vs. naugasoft

The cushions in my Caravel are ugly, and being light colored velveteen-type cloth, I'm sure the dogs will make them much uglier in no time flat. Ultraleather seems to be flavor of the month . . . or the year. But it's a bit pricey.

Our local recycling shop bought out the stock from an upholstry shop that folded and has a big selection of naugahyde for $6/yard. I bought a bit and find it's pretty easy to work with. Am I going to regret it if I go for the less expensive solution? I'm afraid I'll hate myself if I buy ultraleather and make a mess of things

Those of you who have used naugahyde . . . do you like it? Are there other faux leathers that are worth considering?
sandgrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I can tell you that UltraLeather is AMAZING! I've cleaned ballpoint pen off with just a little 409 and we loved it so much in our Bambi that we chose it for he interior of our Sabre sailboat!
I can't imagine sitting on Naugahyde on a hot day...bleeeahh!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	256441  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
+1 on Ultraleather. Pricey but worth it.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I don't know if Naugahyde ever changed it's formula - but the original stuff was hell if you wore shorts. It would weld itself to bare thighs on hot days. Pleather and Ultraleather breathe much more like natural leather.

If you cannot afford the more expensive stuff - well you can't afford it. But before you finally decide, get a sample of the Naugahyde and the Ultraleather and test it. - One swatch under each bare cheek.

If you do end up choosing the less expensive option,well it IS very durable, and if it's been reformulated may feel the same as the expensive stuff. If you think sweating or sticking will be a problem, there is a simple solution - get big fluffy "bath sheet" sized towels and drape them over the upholstery during summer. Years ago, an elderly neighbor of mine always put white slipcovers on her furniture in the summer. Apparently pre-air conditioning this was a standard thing to do to prevent sweat from staining your furniture (And this was before people WORE shorts outside of their boudoirs!)

Let us know what you decide.

ON EDIT- IF you can find matching shades - do the SEAT in UltraLeather and the rest of the pieces in Naugahyde.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Actually, neither is my favorite. I have ultra leather recliners in my AS and, while they are okay, would rather have a fabric cover. I have a genuine leather recliner and a fabric-covered one at home and I prefer the fabric. I find myself covering my ultra leather recliners with a throw most of the time, so why not follow "Foiled Again" and use the Naugahyde and throw a cover on it if it sticks to your thighs.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I thought ultra leather was nothing more than a higher grade Naugahyde.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I thought ultra leather was nothing more than a higher grade Naugahyde.
Not sure how to answer this...except that they are entirely different feeling, wearing,cleaning materials.
We had ultra suede previously. It was comfy but didn't hold up as well as the UltraLeather has...
My wife was concerned about using the UltraLeather on our boat but it has been awesome! Talk about a hot humid environment too! I'm convinced that nothing else comes close...
I once loved a cotton corduroy interior we had on a previous boat but his is better...
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Ultra leather

We re-upholstered our 2004 Safari dinette with ultra leather this past fall. In south west Florida this Dec & it was very hot & humid; the ultra leather dinette seats never felt hot. I have wiped a few minor spots which were removed easily. We are very happy with it. It is somewhat stretchy & possibly the upholsterer could have made them slightly smaller to avoid the wrinkles that appear when sitting on it.

Picked up the ultra leather ourselves in Indiana at Sailrite. Google it; I am sure you will be able to get free delivery in the USA.
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seal Beach , California
Ultraleather.

Our 2006 30' Classic sofa and dinette are both covered with Ultraleather (custom install by Airstream factory). Both are still spotless and look like the day we took delivery. We haven't used the rig as much as we could have but upgrading the the fabric on the dinette to Ultraleather was the best thing we have ever done. Sofa came from factory standard with Ultraleather.

We agree that 409 takes ink off like magic.

Clyde
ezairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Jacquie... "It is somewhat stretchy & possibly the upholsterer could have made them slightly smaller to avoid the wrinkles that appear when sitting on it."

The cure for the wrinkles is to add a 1/2" layer of polyester batting around the foam core and then replace the covers. You can get various thicknesses from a local fabric store.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Jacquie... "It is somewhat stretchy & possibly the upholsterer could have made them slightly smaller to avoid the wrinkles that appear when sitting on it."

The cure for the wrinkles is to add a 1/2" layer of polyester batting around the foam core and then replace the covers. You can get various thicknesses from a local fabric store.
Absolutely agree - can make a bleah average upholstery job look like a million bucks.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
How do folks think ultra-leather would hold up under a cat? I do not have a purposely destructive cat but she can still use her claws climbing up and down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-30-2016, 05:25 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
thanks, everyone, for input.
I made my decision in a split the difference fashion. I found 10 yards of ultraleather in a color I like (driftwood) on eBay for $180. I don't think that's going to be quite enough. Intend to use Foiled Again's suggestion and put naugahyde bottoms on them. I won't be able to find matching colors, so will go for a fun contrast. Teal or purple, or some such. That way if I get bored with things and the weather's not hot I can flip my cushions and have a different look.

p.s. if anyone wants to ultraleather but can't afford, here's the deal I got
http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-Illusion-...MAAMXQPatTKHFE
Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
1970 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Hawthorne , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
How do folks think ultra-leather would hold up under a cat? I do not have a purposely destructive cat but she can still use her claws climbing up and down.
I don't know but wouldn't risk it.
I have a house full of dogs and entertain puppies from time to time. Also hard on furniture, so I only buy second hand. Some of my best buys have been real leather sofas that some one's cat has mangled. On the other hand, kevlar (as in bullet-proof vests) might work. (can also be bought cheap on eBay but so tough it requires special scissors to cut).
Old 01-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #15
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I just finished covering mine with "Whisper Vinyl" from Hancock fabrics. I am very pleased with the way it looks and feels. I used 2 thickness of foam covered with two layers of poly batting. I need to install some cover buttons to eliminate puckering at the fold. It has a very pleasing finish and is covered with a polyurethane to minimize scuffing and signs of daily wear. Originally 25/yd, on sale for 12.50, along with senior and military discount, I walked out with 6yds for a little over 40 dollars. I like the fabric backing. It is very well made. I also found some upholstery tacks that look like Olympic rivets at Lowes. Overall the other fabrics just didn't compare.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I would go with the ultraleather.
Naugas have been hunted almost to extinction for their hides.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
I would go with the ultraleather.
Naugas have been hunted almost to extinction for their hides.

I heard that they have been making a comeback in the great north west.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
They have adapted well to suburbia life here in the Midwest. Folks feed them out of nauga-feeders, which I hold the patent for.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote