Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thumbs up

Very usefull info! Thank you so much we had no idea what to buy and will need to purchase foam this summer. Thanks again

Kani and Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by john92021 View Post
Hi, I have over 35 years experience in the upholstery field and would like to make a couple of comments.
If you are a novice and have hinged cushions to make it is better to get someone with experience and the proper machinery to make them, they can be very frustrating. It is always good to get new foam. Foam comes in quite a few different qualities and different areas of the country have different scaling methods. Most common is the 2 number kind, first number being the weight of the foam, second being amount of deflection of one square foot by weight, without getting to technical, the heavier the foam the longer it will last and the more deflection the softer the foam. So you can have a foam suitable for sitting, back or sleeping.
All foam gets softer with use, thus you get the soft spot where you always sit, cheaper foams break down quicker. New manufacturers are going with cheaper and cheaper foams to cut costs. Foam in some brand new units are history in 2 or 3 weeks.
There is an exception to weight, some manufacturers put clay in their foam for fire retardent and to get the feel of good foam.
Foams are also graded in places by names, nimbus, suppersoft, 20 year guarantee (don't expect 20 years) etc.
This is all very confusing so if you are buying foam hear are a few tips, don't test the 1 foot square sample, feels different than the sheet, never get green or colored foam, good foam is yellow and the more rubbery it feels the better it is. The stuff with the clay in it tears easyier than the good stuff. A firm slab will last longer and give you better support than a soft one but is not very comfortable, especially on plywood, good idea is to make up a slab from different desidies glued together to give soft top and firm bottom. Always put a layer of bonded polyester (dacron) on top to give it a professional look and to protect the fabric (fabric on foam can stick and can wear its way through fabric). When making your cushions there should be a compression factor of 3/4 to 1 in all around depending on the sixe of the cushion. When cutting the boxing cut it the size of the cushion, 4" cushion 4" boxing, that will give you the desired crown. Use nylon zipper because moisture will destroy the metal one in no time.
If you are going to reuse the existing foam steam it (steamer is best), foam has a memory and it will return to its original size and you won't have any corner problems.
Good foam is expensive but not as expensive as the cheap stuff. Don't go overboard and get pincore (natural rubber), very expensive but breaks down with moisture and sunlight (whatever makes it through the fabric).
Please email me if you have any questions.
John
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Unhappy Alternate Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Here is a photo of the cloth that I am trying to get for my sofa. This is one of the cushions (still in plastic from the factory) from the new dinette I got from Steve and Amy.
It looks like the mothership cannot get any of this material (post 59). Has anyone seen any like this? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 AM   #63

VERO BEACH , Florida
Just finished redoing my "dinette" after changing the location of it to have a more intimate front area for seating people for conversation. Basically made it into an "L".
The upholstery work ran $500. (The dining table was cut lengthwise and a piano hinge was installed to fully open it when needed.)
...and I'd be more than happy to supply photos, but I can't understand the request to supply the URL of my photos. Why can't we just "attach"?
BATEAUBABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #64
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
It looks like the mothership cannot get any of this material (post 59). Has anyone seen any like this? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Try contacting J & O Fabrics - I've had good luck dealing with them before.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Try contacting J & O Fabrics - I've had good luck dealing with them before.
Thanks Mel,

I will give them a try.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Knox Foam 15% off until 6/30/08

I just ordered all my new foam from knoxfoam.com. If you order before June 30, 2008 you can SAVE 15%... Enter Coupon Code SAVE15
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #67
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberphotos View Post
I just ordered all my new foam from knoxfoam.com. If you order before June 30, 2008 you can SAVE 15%... Enter Coupon Code SAVE15
Say, that's really nice blogging software. I like the way it handles photos.

cheers,
Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #68
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Hey Chuck, is that a reel-to-reel on the "central command" shot?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Aage...thanks...

Jaxon...it's not a reel-to-reel, it is a analog clock and world map...however, you are giving me ideas
Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #70
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Hey Chuck, is that a reel-to-reel on the "central command" shot?
Any chance of adding a closeup of that panel, Chuck? Not sure I've seen one like that before.

Does every AS have one of those? I've been in one or two that have a different version of that, smaller, and laid out in a more horizontal fashion in a cabinet over the kitchenette, IIRC.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Aage, the close-up has been posted on my blog here.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #72
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberphotos View Post
Aage, the close-up has been posted on my blog here.

Thank you!

Wow, -very- new Space Age, isn't it? One almost expects there to be a Transporter button!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
frisco , Texas
Need Interior Upholstery Measurements for '71 Souvereign

We just purchased a 31' Souvereign with center double bed and rear bath that we are remodeling. There are no existing cushions, and we're at a loss for the sizes & measurements.

How "tall" are the back bolsters?
Is there a fill-in behind the bolster? What size? Plywood?

We have found a custom upholstery shop that builds interiors, but having the correct measurements would be very helpful.

There is also a front wrap-around couch. How is that handled? Is the back bolster one piece?

Thanks to all for any help on this! We're looking forward to some fun Airstreaming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Front.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	62616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	62617  

tom659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Aquebogue , New York
i just did the sofa in a faux leather, paid a pro...1200.00 bucks it was on a 85 excella
nasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #75
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON

Have any of you done this aluminum wall covering idea to your TTs?

Edit: Actually, they used the same system to apply a laminate with an aluminum covering as a kitchen backsplash. Be patient (or skip ahead), the first part is the usual TV DIY show update summary in fast motion type of video.