Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Springville , Alabama
Upholstering couch and benches in 2005 25 ft.

I am wanting to reupholster my sofa and dining benches. I think that I can do most of it myself, and then have the actual bench cushions done professionally. I think the couch should be fairly easy, as I have done some recovering before. It looks as though it should be mainly pulling and stapling, and minimal sewing. The thing I am a little worried about is the dining bench itself. Has anyone recovered these? Suggestions, hints, thoughts? I am looking at a leather look microfiber....
Janmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
ok, now here's a suggestion in general.

get used to sewing with the new fabric by making a lot of extra pieces, some with weird shapes to make sure that it's performing well. start with making throw pillows, maybe make a door liner and graduate to curtain stays. Then move on to the big pieces so you won't waste large pieces of fabric.
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We just finished doing the dinette as you describe: a professional did the cushions and we did all the hard back re-upholstery. It was not that hard. We purchased a 'fine gauge' staple gun for the job (for which I recommend ear plugs!).

I recommend good fabric for the dinette. CF Stinson has a great site for helping coordinating fabric for your project ideas:
CF Stinson- Purveyors of Innovative Textiles
Really great fabric but they want good money for it too.

Here is my results... Before and After (picture is more blue than reality):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	211913

Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	211914

The covered buttons are still a problem because you have to purchase 144 to replace 6 buttons.

Good Luck.
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Re-doing the bench is pretty easy (we did it on the pictures above). Similar to Legos. There are several long wood screws that attach the bench to the trailer and with them removed the entire bench comes out in one piece. After you get it out of the trailer you can take all the pieces apart. You just have to keep track of the pieces and which screws go where.

You will need a fine gauge staple gun for the work. Also get yourself a good nail puller tool. I think there are 20 pounds of staples holding the fabric on the benches. Gave myself tendonitis pulling staples. There are a ton.

The most challenging part logistically were the covered buttons. You can get the materials for covered buttons at any sewing store with a button back but the ones on my trailer were backed with a nail (which they don't sell just anywhere). I ended up ordering an entire box because I got tired to looking for 6 in the size I wanted!!

Good Luck!
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Bless all of you who can do it yourself. We hired Arlene Fowler for all the upholstery and curtains. She did a great job and we couldn't be happier. Fowler RV Interiors - Home
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Petaluma , California
We recently redid the bench and lounge on our 2005 25' CCD and took the same route you're considering. We pulled and stapled the fabric over the wood sections and had the cushions professionally done with machine washable, zippered covers in a microfiber-like material. Our first time doing upholstery but was pretty straightforward, especially with the help of a couple YouTube videos on pleating the edges.

Of course, ours was a little easier being the CCD which didn't require fabric on the bench seat portion, but for other CCD owners, we replaced the weird lumbar roll bench cushions with flat ones more like those in the new CCD trailers. We also added some nice foam rolled arms to the lounge which are much more comfortable than the squared off stock couch.

Before:

After:

Rolled Foam Arms:

Full renovation thread at Adventures of Dave and Ann: 2005 Airstream International CCD 25’ Modifications for anyone interested.
Advodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
Looks nice. I did not want to mess up the couch and we found someone in Amish country that will redo it for around 250 dollars.
Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hubbard , Ohio
Sofa choices

We will be getting our 2004 31 ' classic next week. Has anyone out there replaced a Goucho with a regular sleeper sofa? I think it might be more comfortable when we travel with our son and daughter-in-law and 2 small grandchildren- I think there are things on floor(battery box.) that have to be maneuvered around?
vwgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
I ended up replacing my gaucho with a futon.

The gaucho made a full size bed while the futon is a queen--I had to shave a bit off the futon frame to make it fit.

Due to the electrical parts that are in the front of the trailer, I raised the futon seat about 8". After this, it fits in very nicely and looks very nice.

I would have kept the original but it was very uncomfortable, the frame was broken and it didn't seem that I had gained anything with it.

Eli
Old 11-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
@eliyahu how did you raise the futon? Did you build a box on the floor that it sits on?
Hopeismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
I bought a futon that the mechanism was built in a way that it's all contained on the base. (I have seen them without such a mechanism where the bed slides in a groove on the arm base and back....this one has a spring mechanism to control it.) With this mechanism, by good fortune, the arm has a lower bar and a higher bar. I drilled some new holes on the higher bar and placed the mechanism on it. That was all it took to set the new height.

Then, because the new futon is a queen size rather than the full size of the previous, I had to shave off a fair amount of the arm in the back to help it to fit into the space (with the curve of the Airstream). I shaved off as much as I could and smoothed it down, and cut the tips off the front of the arms and voila'

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I redid our dinette, it was straightforward to do. Finding all the screws that held it in place was the hardest part.

Sailrite.com has lots of how to videos that may make you reconsider farming the cushions out. For me reupholstering the cushions was the easiest part.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote