Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Ultraleather Question

OK i've searched through several threads and haven't found what I am looking for. We are still reasearching what do we really want in our airstream.

I have a question of ultraleather vs. fabric.

Many faux leather furniture products gets hot - and I sweat from it. How does the ultraleather handle extended periods of sitting. Do you sweat like on other fake leather products? Heck even some real leather can make me sweat if sitting for extended periods. OK what do I mean for extended periods? What if you are on a trip and rain settles in for a whole day or more. You decide to read/play games/whatever for most of the day. If I sat for a long period reading or such would my back and legs sweat a lot from ultraleather?

forget ambient temp and other factors, just concerned about a body's reaction to the ultraleather.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We're sitting on it right now, dry 85 degrees in Tucson. No problem with sweating, but probably different with humidity.

Much, much more comfortable than the standard fabric in our 2007 Safari. Soft and truly luxurious comfort. As with most vinyls I would expect some stretching with time that may not have that "new" look over time.

An excellent upgrade in appearance, especially with the Flying Cloud (mica) interior, and comfort. Well worth the cost.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have ultraleather in the Interstate---driver and copilot seats, as well as the benches in the rear.

We have not experienced problems with sweating, and I sweat easily in hot and/or humid temperatures.

What we really, really like with this material is that it is so easy to clean. We had fabric upholstery in our last RV. Keeping fabric clean, with a dog, spills and all the dust that comes with traveling, is a nightmare.

This is a dream to keep clean, and always looks good.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
That's personal

Really.

It all depends on your temperature, clothing and body chemistry. Generally however the less clothing and the lighter clothing you're wearing the more you'll tend to stick to any leather-like surface. It's about skin to skin contact basically - and of course under the right circumstances... that's HOT!

Most modern leather substitutes have lots of tiny pinholes and a texture that breaks the skin to skin contact. They are much cooler than older ones. I fondly remember an old naughahide(sp?) chair that I'd never sit in wearing shorts because of the "union" it created with the skin on the back of my legs. Most modern "leather" chairs actually have leather on the parts that touch your body and ultra-leather on the back - it's hard to tell the difference even when you're looking at both side by side.

Ultra leather is durable and pretty easy care. If you're concerned about feeling hot, keep a small cotton throw blanket nearby and sit/recline on top of it. One very real advantage of leather or leather substitute - sliding in and out of a dinette. Corduroy pants and fabric = almost velcro!

Whichever you choose - happy trails. Paula
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
We recovered out sofa 2 years ago and haven't noticed any excessive heat build up (hot butt). It does seem to be cooler in cold weather.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch 1.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	144355  
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . we replaced the terribly stained fabric (original) sofa in our 05 Safari with an Ultra leather one from the Mothership. Ridiculously expensive (they gave us a price in an email) but we love it & have had no issues with sweating,etc. Of course our summer trip was to YENP,Boise, and out there, so not too much big heat maybe. Like to hear what you decide, regards, Craig
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
very comfortable

We've purchased a 74" Jack knife sofa five years ago made of ultra leather. This last summer in very extreme heat and humidity on the NC coast we had no issues with it. in regards to human elements. We didn't stick from the humidity, and it remained very comfortable. well worth the money. Very easy to clean. The disadvantage, it is hard to let anyone else sit on it as you just want to stretch out on it.

We like it so much we are in the process of having made a 42" dinette set that wraps in the front of the Airstream made of ultraleather and moving the sofa to the road side, while making the curbside 52" - 56" so it an be used as a chaise lounge.
All of our products we have ordered through Bradd and Hall out of Elkhart Ind who sells the Flexsteel RV furniture. B&H at times will have some great close out prices on items made of ultra leather.

Shop around as there are some good sites that may have what you are looking for on a close out. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0271.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	144382  
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
While I believe that the ultraleather is costly compared to its value, I have not noted any problems with comfort. It is comparable to genuine leather in this regard, in my experience.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Thanks for the replies. It helps a lot.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Having used our for 2 years in Texas, we have been very happy with the ultra leather. It is easy to keep clean and comfortable for long periods. It seems to have some stretch so that when you get up it looks all wrinkly but returns to normal after a short time. I like it much better than the leather car seats.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Better Than Leather?

Softer and more supple.
Extremely tough and durable. Dog claws don't scratch it as they do real leather.
Easy to clean.
Very comfortable in very hot and very cold temperatures.
We are pleasantly surprised and impressed.
I was disappointed to find we didn't get real leather.
Now I am happy we didn't.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Anne-Marie and I have been full time travelers in our Airstream for 2 ½ years, and we have the ultraleather cover on our couch. Our solution to sweating when sitting on this fabric is to use small throw blankets, and this preserves the ultraleather, and the blankets are easy to clean when they get soiled. If we had a fabric on the couch, I’m sure it would be soiled and look worn by now.

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Unhappy Yuk

This whole thread is grossing me out. `

I will never sit on ultraleather again, now that I know how many people have sweated on it. I'm thinking even worse things may have happen.

We did not get ultraleather for a different reason. I am sure our cats would have done it irreparable damage, even if they weren't trying to.

Ken

My Avatar is Daisy who, along with Tiger, travels with us. She would gladly shred a couch or two.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Who's your daddy?

Land sakes alive!....I hope they don't allow ultraleather on any rentals.

There would be enough DNA samples smeared around for another season of the Maury Povich Show...at least!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Ummm, I think the difference between cloth and "sweaty" fabrics is just that the cloth absorbs all of the yuk...

It's a whole lot easier to wipe the yuk off of the ultraleather. We did the bottom dinette cushions of our Argosy in ultraleather. Our only regret is that we didn't do all of the cushions with it.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Well now, there is a happy compromise for those who are concerned about the ultraleather biohazard or the fragility of cloth.

My dealership wanted $400 and change to put on some kind of fabric protecter on my cloth seating areas.

The Dollar Store Queen here had a better idea.

These dollar store faux ultrasuede drapery panels were morphed into Airstream cushion covers. They are easy to wash; just hang to dry. They fit snugly; looks just like upholstery. The metal eyelets are Airstream kewl.

I covered all the seats and backs of the lounge area and dinette for the grand total of $55!

I also found the matching eyelet storage containers at the dollar store - $4 ea.

The drape panels come in many other colours besides black: grey, beige, rust, sage green, chocolate, ivory, etc.

BTW, I have a dog with a lot of white hair. The hair comes off easily with a damp cloth.

For those who may be interested in my other dollar-store tricks, I am writing a book on special-event presentation on a budget. (Party decor, catering, entertainment etc. - from a private dinner for two to a group/corporate event for 200). I may also do a chapter on how I oufitted the Airstream - for a dollar and change.

For those who may interested in my book, just PM me. I'll let you know when it's finished. Am aiming for publication sometime in 2012.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Looks great!
Big things can be accomplished with a vision, small bucks, and and some imagination.
Dave

[QUOTE=Fly at Night;1069145]
The Dollar Store Queen here had a better idea.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
It was a hard decision for me to spend the extra money on faux leather but I did and I am extremely happy to have it when my husband spilled a half gallon of milk on the cushions on our last trip out. Did the upholstery myself and used ultrasuede for the edge trim and there is nothing as long wearing as that.......in a small surrounding you are always juggling for space and accidents happen...Patti
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. We're having our sofa, dinette and valances covered over the next several weeks and trying to decide what to use in order to prevent our dear kitty friend from damaging the coverings. I love the ultraleather but it sounds as if that definitely won't work be kitty claw proof so most likely it'll be leather or faux leather. We meet with our upholsterer to look over samples later this month during a trip to ODM for winter maintenance and service work. Thanks again ya'll.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm not sure sure leather is any tougher against kitty claws. A good friend had a leather couch that got scratched rather badly by his cats. Ultraleather is used in a lot of industrial-ish settings (dentist chairs, restaurants) so it might be tougher than you think...

Maybe buy a yard of the material to try out in advance.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote