Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Two questions for the price of one!!

I got a couple of random thought questions for you

As I am getting futher along on the building of my dinette I have a slight dilema.

My trailer is the '71 vintage which has the fake dark wood paneling look. Which I don't care for. So when I had to build missing cabinet doors I used a dark stain to try and match the existing dark paneling.

Now that I have done a lot of wood work on the dinette should I use the same dark stain as I did on the cabinet doors, or should I use a lighter stain that I would prefer like was used in the 60's trailers?

I could remove sand and restain the cabinet doors lighter as well, but that would not make up for all the dark paneling on the cablinets, walls etc.

After all the work on the dinette, I think replacing all the cabinets/walls is out of the question.

Right now I am leaning toward just going with the same dark stain on the new dinette and putting in a very light pergo style floor.

Bonus question!

When a dinette is in the bed position, is the table leg simply hinged completely out of the way? Or does the leg shorten in length and add addtional support to the bed when lowered?

As usual your input is welcomed!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The stain is a personal preference. I guess it depends on if you want the interior to be consistent..........

The bed question: The ledge that the table top rest on supports the mattress without a leg adding additional strength, typically. Also many dinettes have a wall mounted bracket that offers both support and keeps the table top from sliding off the support rails. The ones I have seen used are the same in SOB as an Airstream.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Craftsman

I have to say that dark (Walnut?) stain used really makes some of the interiors look dark and dated. If you dont want to change the color through out, I'd stain it to match or it just draws attention to the one piece thats different. If you stain it a light color, everytime you look at the rest of the woodwork it will be constantly calling you to "' finish the job, finish the job, finish the job". The light Pergo floor will probably make a world of difference in lightening up the interior.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
my fantasy is to do the whole thing. I want a dinette, too, and I just can't bring myself to build something like that, and then stain it "gloomy" to match the interior.

although, I can appreciate an "original" interior, if it was all there, and in decent shape. structurally, mine is, but some idiot PO ripped out most of the tambor doors, rather than "fix" whatever was wrong with them, and left me with an ugly, mickey-moused setup, that is merely (or "barely") functional. If I could easily get the replacement parts, I'd put it back the way it was. But since I can't....

I'm thinking that rebuilding the cabinets, using all the same alluminum extrusions, and just replacing the laminate boards really wouldn't be that much of a big deal. not nearly as bad as the carpentry work required to design and build your own dinette. From what I can see, all the "joinery" is in these alluminum extrusions. So, take things apart, use the flat pieces of laminate as a template to cut replacement pieces out of 3/16 or 1/8 birch plywood. the trim strips can probably be replaced w/ veneer "tape", cut to width. probably the same thickness, or close enough, to the original formica-type laminate.

I know a guy w/ a 71 safari that did this, in oak. looks absolutely beautiful. still, a tad dark for my personal taste, but a huge improvement over the fake-walnut. the lighter colors just make it so much more "cheerful".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
F U L L M O N T Y

Why not make the dinette the way you want it and deal with the rest latter. This is a life long project afterall. You could put a wood veneer over tha dark stuff with some patients and planning. Use a complimentary high gloss paint for edges ect. Or do one of those wood grain faux finishes on the cabinets using wood tone colors.

I think you'll really wish you hadn't if you stain it dark after all that work.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

This is not a suggestion, but.....

My dinette and gaucho are basically made up of two sided 1/4 inch
paneling. It's pretty flimsy, and I know that it won't hold up to
the wear and tear of teenagers. I plan to replace the side panels
with 3/8ths or 1/2 inch plywood. I am deciding whether to cover them in padded vinyl or formica. I know it will add to the weight but my dry
weight is only 2785.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
When a dinette is in the bed position, is the table leg simply hinged completely out of the way? Or does the leg shorten in length and add addtional support to the bed when lowered?
Depends on the type of leg used...ours shortens for added support to the middle when in the bed-postition.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's a thought Tim. Why not do the dinette in the lighter color and reveneer the cabinet doors and drawers in the existing woodwork in the light wood. It would tie it all together.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Tim, my vote would be for keeping all woodwork the same color.
I didn't much care for the dark wood in my former '71 Caravel when I first got the trailer but it kinda grew on me after a while.
I liked it much better after I replaced the drab green upholstery and carpet with lighter and brighter colors. That made the whole interior look much lighter and more cheery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	10219   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	10220  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Tim,

In four or five years or so dark wood might come back into style. I agree with Rog, lighten the floor and fabrics, but keep your wood colors the same as much as possible. The leg for the table can fold up like the one Shari posted, or if you want, visit a boat or marine supply store for a hydraulic table stand. It raises and lowers to your liking, nothing to fiddle with, store or fold.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Adjustable table base

For instance here is a pricey model at: http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10051
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wow Forrest that is one expen$ive table leg

I think I'll pass

Still pondering all the comments, but leaning toward the dark matching stain and light flooring.....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote