Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #1

Thumbs up Twins to Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Has any body made the conversion from twin beds to a queen sizr bed?
judiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yes I have. I'm talking about a front dinette here, not probably the midships twin beds you're talking about. If I'm wrong let me know and I'll send details.
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I converted the rear twins to queen in my '89 Squarestream. I moved the nightstand to the curbside front corner of the bedroom, and built the bed in "sideways" with the head against the curbside and the left side of the bed against the back wall. I used the panels that had been to the aisle side of the twin beds as the right (front) side and foot end of the queen bed. The rest of the frame of the bed was made of 1x2's. Horizontal strips with vertical braces every foot or so. They look sort of like a ladder laid on its side. The head was put against the curb side since there was a hatch door there, and none on the street side. A section of the plywood under the mattress was cut out so that it could be hinged and made to lift for access, but I haven't mounted the spring struts on it yet. A door on the rear to access under the bed would be nice, too. Maybe someday.

Not a really difficult project. Clean everything out of the bedroom before you start building back, make the frame a little shorter than the mattress on the foot end so that you have room for your feet when you maneuver around the bed. Sheetrock screws will hold it all together.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My Safari has rear twins. Page and I did it on the cheap - we just removed the center nightstand and placed it on the floor (on top of a frame to raise the level to be bed platforms. After adding another piece of plywood that rested on the now-raised nightstand, we rotated the twins and inserted one of those foam middle things. This made a full size, not a queen, though. But it is more friendly than twins.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet There is a thread on this ..

judiejo,

Somewhere, within this Forum, is a thread with pictures describing the entire process.
Try an advanced search. If you find it first, please post the link. I will do the same.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Twins to King Size Bed

I removed my rear twin beds and nightstand and installed a king size bed sideways on my 31 foot Excella. The bedroom is now wall to wall matress and you climb into bed from the hallway.

I bought a minimal metal frame with wood slats from IKEA and hinged it on the back side. I have yet to install the proper gas pistons to allow manual lift from the hallway to get to the underside storage area (the initial piston design did not work well enough, but have purchased multiple newer and stronger pistons.) I kept the two exterior accessed storage areas about the same but reinforced them with plywood and 2x4's to support the weight of the bed and frame.

In the meantime until the proper gas pistons are installed I lift the bed with a block and tackle arrangement mounted on the curbside bulkhead wall just forward of the bed.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Has anyone installed a "Sleep Number" bed in a late model Airstream? We have a Queen in our 30' Classic and would like to install the SN bed if possible.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
Craftsman

I was just reading reviews on the Sleep Number bed on the web last night because I'm interested in a better quality mattress and I was surprised at just how many complaints there were about it. One complaint that came up a number of times was that it sagged in the middle, another was poor customer service. Investigate before you invest.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Balrgn has done that to his Airstream. He has several web sites that show this renovation. Message him and find his sites. I would include them here but I never learned how to do that
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I was just reading reviews on the Sleep Number bed on the web last night because I'm interested in a better quality mattress and I was surprised at just how many complaints there were about it. One complaint that came up a number of times was that it sagged in the middle, another was poor customer service. Investigate before you invest.
Surprised to hear your report as we have been most pleased with our King Sized Sleep Number in our home. Because of our satisfaction with the product, we'd like to install one in our '04 Classic and get rid of the rock hard mattress that the factory furnishes.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Cheboygan , Michigan
Do twins have to have the one with "roundy" corners, or will a standard twin mattress fit on there. I'm contemplating a rear twin currently. Fog
lundfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Apache Junction, AZ
We installed the Select comfort Bed in our 1993 30'. We have had one at home for years, and bought the "short queen" for the Airstream. We installed the pump in one of the bedside tables, which required an extension air hose for the other side. Select Comfort sent us one at no charge. The only problem we have had was a pump that started acting up. Again, they set us a replacement at no charge. Our dealings with Select Comfort customer service have been excellent, and their beds are excellent also. We're not affiliated with the company in any way except as completely satisfied customers.

Terry
n7bdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks Terry. Now that we hear it can be done we'll give it a go.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #14
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Done it.

Pics and process are here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=success+story
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:53 AM   #15
Craftsman

My information came from epinions.com . There seems to be a 5 star rating and then someone would rate it with one star. Although the average rating was four stars there were still quite a few one and two star ratings. It' s always good to hear a positive review from someone on the forum that has actually put it to the test. I haven't ruled out the Sleep Number, I just thought it was interesting how different the evaluations were.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Go here to see my photo's of conversion to queen in '97 Excella 25:
http://www.airforums.com/photo...00&userid=3264
Old 01-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sleep Number issues

I have some foggy recall (nothing to do with the time, date, or last night!) that Sleep Number is a Twin Cities company. They hit the local news airwaves last year during a sweeps period (always suspect). It seems there is very little breathing due to the membrane that gets inflated to give you your sleep number of hardness. There were problems of mildew in the pillow top because of that and then issues of corporate unresponsiveness -- who would want to replace all their product because of a few hot sleepers? You know who you are!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I knew I had posted a bunch of photo's someplace of my conversion. See more here starting with post#5: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ses-15499.html