Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
So Cal , California
The mini blinds are not doing the job...

Hello Everyone, I have a 2008 27ft. Safari with mini blinds. The blinds don't cover the windows very well, the sides are wide open. It's very easy to see in from outside, I feel like I have no privacy. Up to now we have been putting sheets of fabric over the windows and securing with clothespins, but it's a pain to take on and off, and looks terrible. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for window coverings?
Mr&MrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had somewhat the same problem with my Classic 28. There was a gap between the blinds in the lounge area that allowed anyone passing by to see in.

I cut wood to match the curve of the trailer, stained it to match the woodwork, and screwed it to the wall between the windows. That helped. I finally covered some wood with upholstery material and mounted them on the wood, forming a Tee. That finally solved the problem.

See this post for photos of what I did.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
_

. , .
hi and welcome.

another owners solution was to INSTALL the factory/oem shades and curtains from the classic line...

lots MORE coverage and layers going from sheer to complete blocking...

see the link in post #2 here and the reply later from the owner who did this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ows-43775.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
This is one of the things that bothers me on the newer units. One my '99 I have roll up shades and curtains with lots of privacy. I wonder if current the AS interior designers actually go camping?
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
So Cal , California
Brilliant! I love it, thanks! What are the walls in your rig made of? Laminate? Forgive my ignorance, I have limited experience with the interior of trailers, and this is my first Airstream.

I think for the bedroom I would like to do something that would cover the window completely to help keep it darker in the morning.

I tried to attached a pic

Thanks again for the great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I had somewhat the same problem with my Classic 28. There was a gap between the blinds in the lounge area that allowed anyone passing by to see in.

I cut wood to match the curve of the trailer, stained it to match the woodwork, and screwed it to the wall between the windows. That helped. I finally covered some wood with upholstery material and mounted them on the wood, forming a Tee. That finally solved the problem.

See this post for photos of what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Window.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	107249  
Mr&MrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You can also use a piece of elastic (1/8 inch wide) and string it between the window operators. It will tuck down between two of the slats and simply hold the shades closer right in the middle. The sun will spoil it however after six months or less, so you replace it periodically. It's easy to pull off when you want to open the shades.

Paula
Old 07-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsB View Post
Brilliant! I love it, thanks! What are the walls in your rig made of? Laminate? Forgive my ignorance, I have limited experience with the interior of trailers, and this is my first Airstream.
The inner walls are of aluminum with the fabric "mouse fur" glued to them.

If using a power tool (drill), it is easy to drive screws into the inner walls of the trailer. I use sharp screws such as dry-wall screws. The screws will spin for a second, and then drive right in to the wall. I use relatively short screws: 1" or 1 1/4" countersunk into the wood. Drill the holes in the wood big enough that the screw threads have clearance. That way, the crew will not cam the wood away from the wall.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We solved the privacy question in the bedroom by putting up reflectix on all the windows—keeps it from getting quite so hot in the summer and too cold other times. It also keeps the room darker which is good for a place you sleep. And, 3rd, solves the privacy issue. The 3rd was an unintended consequence because we were doing it for insulation and darkness. We've found we really don't need the windows in the bedroom because we spend almost all waking hours in the main cabin.

For the side windows in the main cabin: First question—is anybody looking? 2nd, turn off the lights or use only small one when you are disheveled. The glass on the windows is pretty reflective and with little light inside, it's hard to see inside. 3rd, wear a robe and remove once lights are off.

Perhaps I am not taking this seriously enough. We seem to stay up later than most people at campgrounds, so they probably think we are looking in their windows. Maybe I'm not paying attention, but you have to get at an angle to the trailer to see in and have to be pretty close to the trailer, and if someone wants to work that hard to look at an old man, have at it.

I've thought about getting cellular shades for the side windows because they look better than the cheapo mini-blinds, and they provide a little insulation, but gravity is still a problem. Just like the blinds, they would sag inward. If they could run in a curved track mounted on the windows, that would work better. On the other hand, blinds work well in the center of a panoramic window—they look better than the cheapo curtains. The link 2air provided discusses that. We've seen the results. Evan (eheffa) installed them in his trailer and they look good. You can regulate the amount of light and privacy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We like the mini-blinds. They look very nice with the metal interior, and allow you to modulate the daylight as you desire. As for privacy, I'm with Gene, they have to do some serious peeking to see around them, and I don't think they are getting their money's worth (in my case). We use a dark self-stick sunshade at the lower bath window under the blinds, for everyone's comfort.

Doug and Cheryl
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote