Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

1991 34' Excella
palm bay , Florida
sticky interior roof

Hello. Great site. We are proud owners of 91 excella 34 for 1 week now. New to airstream society. Your site is so informative. We are in the process of cleaning and working out alll the bugs. I just can't seem to get the interior roof from being sticky. PO was not a smoker , but did winter in her ( haven't named her yet) in FL. I was worried about getting to aggressive with cleaners if it will damage the glue used to put on.

Any suggestions?
feilingerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by feilingerm View Post
Hello. Great site. We are proud owners of 91 excella 34 for 1 week now. New to airstream society. Your site is so informative. We are in the process of cleaning and working out alll the bugs. I just can't seem to get the interior roof from being sticky. PO was not a smoker , but did winter in her ( haven't named her yet) in FL. I was worried about getting to aggressive with cleaners if it will damage the glue used to put on.

Any suggestions?
A good cleaning product, other than hazardous chemicals, is simple "spik and span".

Might have to do it 2 or 3 times, but it will get the goo off.

Once you have it off, you can apply Future floor acrylic to the walls, that enhances the grain as well as protects the vinyl walls. It works great on kitchen floors, and you can buy it at most any grocery store.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by feilingerm View Post
Hello. Great site. We are proud owners of 91 . I just can't seem to get the interior roof from being sticky. I was worried about getting to aggressive with cleaners if it will damage the glue used to put on.

Any suggestions?
Welcome to the Airforums.

Have you tried a "search" for this topic?

You didn't indicate which material your ceiling has (vinyl, glued applique, paint).

If it a glued on applique you might find a spot in a cabinet and try 409 or a degreaser. I don't think you'd hurt if you went slow and cleaned off the cleaner residue.

This is only my opinion but there are other forum members who should have thought on this subject.
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Andy has a good suggestion with Spic-N-Span.
JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Depends on your what your interior is...mine is the plastic coated aluminum sheets. If that is the case a very thorough cleaning and a coat of the Futura will do an excellent job. A large part of the stickiness on these is caused by the plasticizers coming to the surface. FWIW I cleaned the interior surfaces in mine with Marine Clean from POR-15. I cut it around 10:1 with hot water.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #6

1991 34' Excella
palm bay , Florida
thanks for all the suggestions..
i did read some info in the search section before posting..( I've spent alot of time the last week in them for other issues) It is vinyl. I tried three tests spots with simple green , 409 , Mr Clean. I didn't see any results, and then just got worried if I was messing things up if it was glue. I guess I just need alittle more elbow grease and patience.
feilingerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Spik & Span plus a lot of elbow grease will get ur done.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote