Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Colorado
Spice Rack Removal

Hello! First post for me so I will keep it simple! Just had my 1977 24' Argosy twin bed dropped off at my house, and couldn't be more excited. Plenty to do, but she's in great shape. Starting small - the spice rack over the stove with the rolling door needs some TLC and a new paint job. Can I just drill out the rivets to remove, and re-rivet to reinstall? I have played with other campers before, but the Argosy/Airstream construction is new to me. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Montrose , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartowski View Post
Hello! First post for me so I will keep it simple! Just had my 1977 24' Argosy twin bed dropped off at my house, and couldn't be more excited. Plenty to do, but she's in great shape. Starting small - the spice rack over the stove with the rolling door needs some TLC and a new paint job. Can I just drill out the rivets to remove, and re-rivet to reinstall? I have played with other campers before, but the Argosy/Airstream construction is new to me. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Following back up with this one, still looking for some help - starting my restoration on this great trailer! Just need to know if anyone has removed items like this from Aitstream/ Argosy - can we just drill out the rivets and reinstall with new ones once I paint / repair? Thanks everyone!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20170605_111912.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	286939
Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 AM   #3

1978 Argosy 30
Locust grove , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartowski View Post
Following back up with this one, still looking for some help - starting my restoration on this great trailer! Just need to know if anyone has removed items like this from Aitstream/ Argosy - can we just drill out the rivets and reinstall with new ones once I paint / repair? Thanks everyone!!Attachment 286939
How did the spice rack repair go, I'm looking to remove my spice rack in a 78 argosy 30. Did drilling the rivets cause the aluminum panel to come lose from the ribs or are they there soulfuly for the spice rack?
Oft91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I had a spice rack similar to that one in one of my prior 1970's Airstream Excella trailers. The plastic side rail was cracked, so I removed it. I drilled out the rivets and it came right off.

The wall panels were installed prior to the spice rack, so the wall rivets should be beneath the spice rack.
I do not remember the wall panels getting looser, however I immediately filled in the holes with new rivets since I did not plan to reinstall the spice rack.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I installed spice

rack in my 76 AS. the rivets only go into walls, ribs are not involved.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote