Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Madison , Wisconsin
Slipcovers?

Greetings, We just purchased a 1978 Argosy Minuet 6 metre. We are wondering if anyone knows of removable, washable slipcovers available for twin beds/couch cushions in this model? Any help appreciated regarding buying, or patterns for making ourselves.
Dave and Pat
Dave and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
This may help!

The lady that recovered my gaucho (sofa) added zippers so I can remove and have dry cleaned if needed. There also should be some patterns out there for slip covers
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Slipcovers?

Greetings Dave and Pat!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Pat
Greetings, We just purchased a 1978 Argosy Minuet 6 metre. We are wondering if anyone knows of removable, washable slipcovers available for twin beds/couch cushions in this model? Any help appreciated regarding buying, or patterns for making ourselves.
Dave and Pat
I am afraid that you won't find any off-the-shelf slipcovers that will fit the Minuet. One of the items that comes into play with the Minuet is that its width is 8" less than the standard coaches -- the Minuet is 7.0' wide while the standard Argosy coaches are 7' 8". But the good news is that most any upholsterer can likely duplicate the original upholstery or make slipcovers for your current cushions.

If you find, as I did with my Minuet, that the foam is failing (decomposing and turning into crumbles and dust) it may be a good time to consider new foam. I took the oppotunity to have my foam upgraded to a denser, firmer variety that increased the comfort both as seating and sleeping areas.

Fowler Interiors of Symsonia, Kentucky handled the Interior refurbishment on my coach including the new foam and upholstery on the twin lounges, new pinch-pleated draperies and mini-blinds, a new shower curtain, and new Armstrong laminate floor covering. They specialize in Airstream and Argosy refurbishment, and they are fantastic people to work with (IMHO). They are a bit of a drive from Madison -- about 9.5 to 10 hours (I am a former Grant County resident).

If you haven't discovered the Wisconsin Unit of the WBCCI, they have a very active Vintage contingent with several Argosy owners. In fact, I am still a Wisconsin Unit member even though I am about three hours South of the border in North-central Illinois.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
Kevin, thanks for the info. Right now, we are in DIY mode on this Argosy, and getting expert help from our neighbor, john hd. The foam is in good shape, and quite comfortable! After resolving a few electrical and plumbing issues, the trailer will be road ready. The interior will be a work in progress through the summer. We love this little "condo on wheels", and look forward to many good trips.

Cheers,
Dave and Pat, Madison
Dave and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Eartha

Hello,
I have 1963 27' Overlander. I think all the wood structure for the "jacknifing" gaucho is working, but I have no mattress. I'd like to have foam cut and upholstered so it will look original. Wish I were closer o KY so I could use your source, but I'm in Northern CA. Do you know where I might get a pattern, or if there is anyone in NO. CA who may know airstream restoration?
Thanks! binny binbin@sonic.net
binbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
well

This is what i did i bought fabric that i liked at walmart.Cut it to fit .Sewed the top and side.Left the bottom open so i could pull it off and on to wash.I also put twin plastic bed covers over the foam after clean at the car wash and letting them dry for about a week and half. Oh its was cleaned with bleach and simple green

Hope this may help some
Old 06-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi - I redid our foam covers... Our foam was good. I took the covers aprt - the seam stiching cut easily, and used the fabric pieces as a pattern. It was hard work and I HATE to sew - but the results were spectacular and the labor worth the effort. You can see the new stuff in my photo gallery. Get to work!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Get to work!
good one janet!

so far dave and pat are going through trailer boot camp and have accomplished the following: (with a little help)

cleaned the trailer inside and out
rebuilt kitchen faucet
repaired vent fan
repaired electrical systems 120 and 12volt
rebuilt the burner on water heater
new floor in bathroom
new propane tank and hold down
fixed toilet leak
new brakes
repack bearings
painted rims and sent out to tire shop for mounting
about 10 trips to the hardware store and menards

they have some exterior painting and a few things to work out on the exterior lighting.

the neighbor between us has said she would do the curtains!

john