Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Pottstown , Pennsylvania
Question Single bed option in 1972 Ambassador

I just purchased a 1972 Ambassador that needs much work. Already been on different forums looking for some answers. Anyway, I have been looking online at pictures of other interiors of the same model. They all seem to have two twin beds in the center between the kitchen and bath. Ours does not. We have what looks like could be one twin bed but cannot tell for sure. The mattress is not there just now. There is just some type of wood base that looks like it should pull out but sticks a little over some tambour roll cover compartments. The other side does not have a bed but a full close and a cabinet with drawers under the window on that side. What mattress belongs there - twin or double? Does it pull out? Does not look like it would support any weight when pulled out. Thanks.
mwinter973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My 71 Tradewind has 2 gaucho couches, 1 in the front and one amidships. Sounds like you have the same layout. Do you have a gaucho couch in the front? The rear one is the same except it does not have arms and the in the front gaucho the 3rd section is curved to match the contour of the trailer front. If you have a gaucho it should have 3 sections. The largest is the couch seat which is attached to the couch back with a seam. The 3rd section is not used for sitting but fills in the mattress when the gaucho is pulled out. It has aluminum sliders that are cantilevered and can support 2 adults. Can you post a photo?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy 24
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
mattress

Our '78 Argosy has the goucho on one side and dresser on the other side. Instead of a goucho we were able to use a 49" (3/4 bed) mattress and still have enough room to go around the bed. We liked the idea of having a bed that could stay made during the day instead of folding everything up in the morning and remaking the bed at night. You and your partner will sleep close but it is enough room.
stillcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Single bed option in 1972 Ambassador

Greetings mwinter973!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter973 View Post
I just purchased a 1972 Ambassador that needs much work. We have what looks like could be one twin bed but cannot tell for sure. The mattress is not there just now. There is just some type of wood base that looks like it should pull out but sticks a little over some tambour roll cover compartments. The other side does not have a bed but a full close and a cabinet with drawers under the window on that side. What mattress belongs there - twin or double? Does it pull out? Does not look like it would support any weight when pulled out. Thanks.
Your coach is of the less common "Double" floorplan. The 1960s and 1970s rear bath Airstreams were offered with either center twins or a center double. It seems that far more twins were made than the double. The double utilized a pull-out quite similar to that used in the front lounge. The actual size of the mattress was slightly less than the size of a household double bed.

The mechanisms for the 1960s pull-out utilized primarily kiln dried oak components if the two coaches that I have seen with this arrangement is any indication. The actual design varied from one year to the next slightly, and I have seen one or two that have either hinged legs that drop down when the base is pulled out - - or permanently affixed legs that rest against the cabinetry. You can find the florrplans included in the original sales literature at this link.

There have been a number of different approaches mentioned to the problem of refurbishing the bed in a center double coach. The most expedient is usually to just replicate what was there originally. Some have modified fouton mattresses for use on the existing platform while others have modified the platform such that it is permanently extended and installed a custom inner-spring mattress.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Pottstown , Pennsylvania
Center Bed Options

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. Sorry I cannot post a picture at this time as I, embarassed to say, don't know how to upload one just yet. But there is nothing there but a piece of plywood at this time. I went out and looked at it again. I also found some pictures online of a similar unit up for sale. It looks like a futon type or sofa bed mattress on there. May work but I need to reinforce the base first.
mwinter973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you do a search under gaucho you will find out more than you ever want to know. Try this thread by Mello Mike "70s Gaucho Question" dated 8/24/2009. Posts 22 and 23 by 3 Dog Nite have some good photos. Post 38 by Aage has a diagram. Here is the link:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...rontlounge.jpg

This is a front gaucho. As I said above the side gaucho is the same design except it does not have upholstered arms and the 3rd cushion/ mattress section is not curved but rectangular.

The other type of bed found in this era was a twin, but you say you only have one. The plywood on the twin is hinged to the wall so you can pick it up to access a long storage compartment.