Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Restoring color of endcaps

Hey folks,
I'm very frustrated because our upload speed here in Mexico is very slow and my attempts to upload some photos has been timing out. I'm going to have to transfer the photos to another app and shrink them.

But here's my question. I notice that the strangely pink endcaps used to be the same color as the off-white speckled ceiling on my 1982 Limited. I can see that it was the same when I remove the lighting fixture. Does anyone know why the endcaps discolor so much and the rest of the paneling doesn't?

Does anyone know what might restore the endcaps to their original off-white color? I'm not ready to yank a lot of stuff and the interior is in pretty good shape, so Id like to use what I can but I want to simplify the color scheme to dark laminate and light trim and get rid of all the intermediate colors.

Is there a detailer's secret that is waiting to be discovered? Something I can use that won't destroy the endcap material?

Thnx!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
I notice that the strangely pink endcaps used to be the same color as the off-white speckled ceiling on my 1982 Limited. I can see that it was the same when I remove the lighting fixture. Does anyone know why the endcaps discolor so much and the rest of the paneling doesn't?
Probably has to do with the compound curved end caps are plastic and react to light differently than the other panels which are aluminum with vinyl covering. Also, cooking & smoking can discolor the plastics - not much can be done if that's the case - other than just scrub them clean, which I assume you have already done.

Quote:
Does anyone know what might restore the endcaps to their original off-white color? I'm not ready to yank a lot of stuff and the interior is in pretty good shape, so Id like to use what I can but I want to simplify the color scheme to dark laminate and light trim and get rid of all the intermediate colors.

Is there a detailer's secret that is waiting to be discovered? Something I can use that won't destroy the endcap material?
You could clean, prep & paint the endcaps to match the "good" panels. I know some when doing total restorations have taken their plastic bits out in the sun and applied a peroxide/baking soda paste & "bleahed" them...but if you aren't doing that level of a restoration, paint would be about your only option.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Vewwwwwy intewesting.

I may try to bleach them inside rather than removing them, but then I'll have to hold my breath. I've been reading mixed reviews about painting them. I'll have to investigate that more closely. If I brush something on, it will probably look terrible.
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
The previous owner of our unit painted the end caps and did a really nice job. I usually notice things like that, but I didn't realize it until a few weeks after we bought it.

It looks like it was perhaps sponged.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Well, that's encouraging. I'm not much with a brush but I'm not bad with a sponge!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Yeah, I hadn't thought about using a sponge on my old trailer but I'm pretty sure that is what they did. There are some other posts that have information about something you can make up to brighten it back up too.

Quote:
Well, that's encouraging. I'm not much with a brush but I'm not bad with a sponge!
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
grand rapids , Michigan
I painted the plastic end cap in my Argosy and unless you look real close you wouldn't know. I first primed with Zinzzer Bulls Eye 1-2-3 latex primer, and used Ben Moore latex eggshell finish for my topcoat. I used a 2" roller cover with a 1/2" nap. The 2" wide roller lets you roll over the curvature of the end cap and still get even paint coverage. It has held up really well and cleans up nicely.
Casa Rodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Here is a photo of the painted end cap in my '74 Argosy 20'.

The rolling tambour was removed as was all of the trim. The paint I use for this job is Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, Satin finish. Right now I can't recall the exact color. But the paint covers the original old banana yellow the end caps turn. I did the same to the refrigerator vent, and the AC interior cover. It looks super and there is no way you can really tell it has been painted. Use lots of very thin coats. Use a big fan to remove the overspray and fumes. Mask things well.

The yellowed trim which fits in the Aluminum track was replaced with thin strips of plastic laminate in a pattern I like. The tambour doors were also painted with the same paint and look wonderful, like new again.

So, I can give a hearty thumbs up to painting with Krylon Fusion Paint for plastics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy endcap.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	209247  
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Before painting, why don't you try to use polishing compound, just like you use on your car.

If you wait a day or so, I am going to polish mine.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I haven't tried this myself, but when I was researching this for the plastic frame around the kitchen window in our '71 Tradewind, I came across a recipe for Retrobrite.

It's a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, Oxy laundry cleaner and some other ingredients to make a gel that sits on the plastic and restores it to its pre-oxidized state.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Here is a photo of the painted end cap in my '74 Argosy 20'.

The rolling tambour was removed as was all of the trim. The paint I use for this job is Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, Satin finish. Right now I can't recall the exact color. But the paint covers the original old banana yellow the end caps turn. I did the same to the refrigerator vent, and the AC interior cover. It looks super and there is no way you can really tell it has been painted. Use lots of very thin coats. Use a big fan to remove the overspray and fumes. Mask things well.

The yellowed trim which fits in the Aluminum track was replaced with thin strips of plastic laminate in a pattern I like. The tambour doors were also painted with the same paint and look wonderful, like new again.

So, I can give a hearty thumbs up to painting with Krylon Fusion Paint for plastics.

Idroba and webspinner, sorry, I made the mistake of not checking the thread when the next reply showed up. What great results on the painting! And this peroxide/oxy blend + UV seems to be very effective!

This actually raises another question for me which is what the value might be in restoring the trailer to its actual original condition, inside and out. I think I'll look more into the advantages of doing that. Back to the Search function. The work people on this forum are doing is really inspiring.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I did an experiment with retrobrite here;
Post 69
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1202339
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sorry refiner girl, not sure why but your link took me to a short thread on furnaces. Searches on the post number and retrobrite didn't get me there either. Is there another way to get there?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
*Reinergirl. Thank you Steve jobs.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Sorry refiner girl, not sure why but your link took me to a short thread on furnaces. Searches on the post number and retrobrite didn't get me there either. Is there another way to get there?
Here's a link to the particular post in that thread that was linked to before:
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Terrific post and blog

Thanks webspinner. Got it.

Reinergirl, that is a terrific post, so detailed, and the blog is even better. I felt like you were standing right there, showing me every step.

I think I'm going to plan for some combination of restoration, using techniques like yours; painting, where I don't have the patience; and removing the vinyl from the aluminum panels. Sounds like it's difficult, but I just keep imagining the results!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
You're welcome

One thing we've noticed about links like I did in my post is that you have to be patient. Often the link will jump two or three times before it gets to the correct page. Just something to be aware of . Better minds than mine know why!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Chillicothe , Texas
I assume our encaps are fiberglass, unless a plastic was used, There are a few cracks. Can I patch these with the same thing they repair boats with?
joni78 is offline   Reply With Quote