Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Plymouth , Wisconsin
Replacing drapes with blinds in 1976 Soverign

HOw do you mount blinds or shades in a 1976 Soverign 31 Foot trailer? My curtains fell apart upon washing and would like to replace with either blinds or shades. How does one go about this. How are they mounted and where should I get them?
Lynell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynell View Post
HOw do you mount blinds or shades in a 1976 Soverign 31 Foot trailer? My curtains fell apart upon washing and would like to replace with either blinds or shades. How does one go about this. How are they mounted and where should I get them?
If you install blinds, you can see into the trailer, at the end of the blinds, since the blinds are straight and the wall is curved.

The fix?

Install end panel drapes.

The problem?

Then the blinds cut holes in the end panels as the trailer moves.

Blinds are not a practical idea.

Sorry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Not your answer but....

Quote:
Hello ,
I don't really have the answer to your question directly but instead would ask if you decide to not use any or all of your original curtain tracks in your trailer, if you would consider selling them? We have the same trailer and are missing a number of hardware tracks in the bedroom and living room areas.

We have some of the tracks and will have to locate the rest so I can complete the curtains. Someone had already done the blinds approach and disposed of the tracks sometime in the past. I wish they had left the hardware around but as we have discovered, nothing is that easy. Let me know if you decide to sell any of the tracks and no matter what, good luck on your project.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
This is what I did

When I received my 1976 the curtains were in bad shape. I washed them in fabric dye and of course they fell apart. I went to Bed Bath and beyound and bought lots of curtains that was discontinue at a cheap price. I cut the stitch with an exacto knife all the tabs. There are two types. I stapled the tabs on so the type and measurement fit and carried them to someone who sewes. I also payed to have them starched and pressed. It was not all that expensive but time consumming. They look great. To cover the window I replaced all the shades with pull down types. I got good measurements and Lowes or HD will cut them to fit. Lots of work but was the only way I could afford it. Very happy with the results.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

1976 31' Sovereign
Plymouth , Wisconsin
Sell you my tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Hello ,
I don't really have the answer to your question directly but instead would ask if you decide to not use any or all of your original curtain tracks in your trailer, if you would consider selling them? We have the same trailer and are missing a number of hardware tracks in the bedroom and living room areas.

We have some of the tracks and will have to locate the rest so I can complete the curtains. Someone had already done the blinds approach and disposed of the tracks sometime in the past. I wish they had left the hardware around but as we have discovered, nothing is that easy. Let me know if you decide to sell any of the tracks and no matter what, good luck on your project.
Sandy

Sandy, I would be more than willing to sell you my tracks. Cheap. Wont need I do not think. Do you also need the plastic things that go in the tracks. I cut them off my curtains. Give me time to be sure of what I want to do. We just got this trailer. Thank you for asking. I would rather someone use them than throw them out. Lyn
Lynell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
sunny 75

1975 27' Overlander
selah , Washington
Lyn,
If you still want to sell your track and plastic curtain thingys, I am interested. Just need enough for the window over the bed.
Thanks, Lorri
sunny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny75 View Post
Lyn,
If you still want to sell your track and plastic curtain thingys, I am interested. Just need enough for the window over the bed.
Thanks, Lorri
I thought you could still buy the (stock) track. Contact Inland RV (above post)...

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
You can still buy the original curtain track. Shipping is the tough part as it comes in 11' stock lengths. Depending on the sections you are doing, you may need some long pieces, otherwise you will be dealing with a bunch of splices.

I actually drove to Jackson Center and bought full length track at the Airstream factory, though I'll admit I am fortunate enough to live only a few hours away.

You might see what kind of curtain track a local RV parts dealer can get and see if you can make that work.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks Lyn

Quote:
Sandy, I would be more than willing to sell you my tracks. Cheap. Wont need I do not think. Do you also need the plastic things that go in the tracks. I cut them off my curtains. Give me time to be sure of what I want to do. We just got this trailer. Thank you for asking. I would rather someone use them than throw them out. Lyn
That would be great to get the tracks and I agree, why discard something someone else can use. I already bought all new tabs for the entire trailer so I am good to go on those. What I really need is the track. Let me know if you decide to get rid of them and we can try to figure something out.
Sandy
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan

That would be great to get the tracks and I agree, why discard something someone else can use. I already bought all new tabs for the entire trailer so I am good to go on those. What I really need is the track. Let me know if you decide to get rid of them and we can try to figure something out.
Sandy
Funny thing happened on the way to the forums...Splitrock showed me what to look for and I managed to locate the front area tracks in one of our massive stacks of parts. I am going to have to order some end caps and smaller insert material but now don't need the track so am a happier camper. All along I was looking for just aluminum track and here it really was two massive pieces, Good news for us and now you don't need to send us any track. Thanks for your help anyway.
Sandy