Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Replacement OEM Sofas

Occasionally I run into an coach for sale where the original sofa has been replaced with a futon or an actual residential sofa.... (I have no idea how they get them into the unit.)
I was wondering if there's a source for new OEM safes theft restorers can use?
Any help?
What about Inland RV?
Thanks Dave
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I think your auto spell correction had a brain fart.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I meant sofas not safes thanks Michael
Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have been shopping for a sofa or a seating/bedding solution. I am not sure about brands that Airstream has used through the ages but I can say that flex steel is what they used in mine; however, now in the Classics they are using something much more costly. I am now investigating platform options like in the Internationals, etc. Frankly I am not happy about the prospect of a $5000 sofa for the stream so options are a plenty. I sat in an inexpensive camper at Campingworld a few weeks back with a very comfortable sofa. There is no reason that such a piece of furniture be so costly.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I have been shopping for a sofa or a seating/bedding solution. I am not sure about brands that Airstream has used through the ages but I can say that flex steel is what they used in mine; however, now in the Classics they are using something much more costly. I am now investigating platform options like in the Internationals, etc. Frankly I am not happy about the prospect of a $5000 sofa for the stream so options are a plenty. I sat in an inexpensive camper at Campingworld a few weeks back with a very comfortable sofa. There is no reason that such a piece of furniture be so costly.
Would you happen to have the link of the one you saw? We are currently looking for a sofa bed for our Argosy.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I was at a rally this weekend. I know that camping world sells them.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
There's always Flexsteel. High-end stuff, but folks seem to like them...

Flexsteel Furniture: Products
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
@ Aage, my flex steel jackknife is not comfortable. It is really hard and like sitting on springs (to me) without much cushion. @davcarv, I checked out CampingWorld. Our store has a furniture room to sit on various ones. There is one that was comfortable but the bottom was a large SOB box that would interfere with the electrical workings for me.

I will tell you that my flex steel sofa goes in an out of the door. We took mine out when we worked on the inverter. Apparently so does the Villa International Jackknife that Airstream uses now in the Classic. The problem is that it is around $2800 shipped in ultra leather, minus $900 for fabric- those are the "made to order options" it seems. If one sacrifices the bolsters more options are available but that is kinda "wrong" to me as a style point.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Rodster,

Do you have one of the Flexsteel units that have an inflatable mattress? They look comfortable.

The only comments I've ever seen about the factory bed are that they have no support.

Could anyone else comment on that? I'm willing to bet that Jackson Center has some options...
Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
@Rodsteinfl, I'm confused... Have you bought a FlexSteel?
I called the manufacturer and they're useless...and the only distributor in the Atl. Area is useless too. I need to be able to sit and feel if they're comfortable. Many of the trailer sofa furniture I sit on is way too stiff.
And I need to understand about measuring for an Airstream.... Given the taper brought on because of the curve of the end cap I'm worried that a sofa has to be custom... Something absurd like 3k for fabric covered not well made . What I want is residential comfort and price....
I guess it's because the market won't bear what I want
Old 10-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Aage, no, mine is a simple Jackknife that has a pop down front for underneath storage and it also pivots in the middle to let down into a bed. I have an inflatable mattress that we use for a third guest. My mattress is comfortable. The problem is sitting on the couch.

@davcarv, no, the Flexsteel came with the Airstream. Yes, they are awful to get a hold of- Flexsteel that is. They did tell me that the Jacknife was their least comfortable sofa- figures. Their dealer they referred me to said the same thing. They told me that with their products, I had two options, an easy bed (I believe it is called) or another jackknife. She said those were the only two with open space underneath. The Sofa you have, if in the front like mine in a wide body AS is 74" plus 10" or so for each bolster. The problem I have is that in my rig, the sofa 1) has to be a bed too, 2) has to have an open floor area (electrical, inverter, storage), and 3)has to be armless to work with the bolsters and tie in to the decor of an Airstream without making changes. That REALLY limits the search. Villa International makes Airstream's Classic model sofa and theirs, in cloth is $1595 plus shipping or $2500 for ultra leather plus shipping. The Flexsteel is about $1400 or so for the easy bed/magic bed whatever it is called. I too wanted to sit on these. I went to look at motorhomes. Newmars have flex steel sofas almost exclusively - looked at twelve. The Tiffin units had Villa International. The covering on the Villa sofas was a nicer fit and feel. The flex steel looked like it was a bad fit and felt cheap- in the rubbery material. My Flexsteel's fabric is nice but hey...an observation and opinion. I sat in several Flexsteel models and they varied in comfort from crummy to passible. Unfortunately every villa I sat in was a sofa sleeper so there was a firmness in the seat BUT it sat nicely, like a residential couch. I am just having trouble coughing up that money and keep hoping for something as an alternative.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Listen to this.............

My friend replaced his sofa with the flex steel. He got the fake leather because he didn't want to worry about coffee and beer staining fabric. If you even think about any kind of movement while you are sitting in the sofa it makes a noise that sounds like someone ......passed wind....with extreme conviction.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bradd & Hall

It has to get through the door and fit the space. Take time on how to measure.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Aage, no, mine is a simple Jackknife that has a pop down front for underneath storage and it also pivots in the middle to let down into a bed. I have an inflatable mattress that we use for a third guest. My mattress is comfortable. The problem is sitting on the couch.
Yes, sadly I have never heard anyone say "Wow, that jackknife couch is great!"

But the Flexsteel quick-inflate air mattress ones look good, and seem to hold out a promise of good comfort.

I agree, their website sucks. Or blows. I'm never too sure of the difference.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
If you even think about any kind of movement while you are sitting in the sofa it makes a noise that sounds like someone ......passed wind....with extreme conviction.
That is hilarious- like a whoopie cushion I bet.

Aage
Quote:
website sucks. Or blows.
I am with ya on that. I believe the blows part comes from the phrase blowing chunks (sick) while the other one is more generic! Ah. vernacular street talk.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've been watching this thread since the beginning hoping someone would come up with a solution because, I too find the stock Airstream couch very uncomfortable, and since I also have a bad back, sitting on the thing really bothered me.

Last night the solution, at least for me, came to me in the middle of the night, well actually about four this morning, but most rational people would consider that the middle of the night.

In the past when I had vehicle driver's seat that was uncomfortable, all I had to do was put some shims under the front of the seat, and that will raise the front, but also move the back of the seat back to a slightly more reclined position.

Anyway, went out this morning, made some shims out of 3/4" lumber, loosened the front bolts, inserted the shims under the couch, and it's MUCH better.

Can't say this is a fix for everyone, but it's a very big improvement for me, and I was actually to the point of looking around for a clean 34' that had room for a recliner, so if this works long term, I will have saved LOTS of money. Happy, Happy, Happy!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal , Arkansas
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best. Please let us know if this really makes a difference long term.
zzlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Saskatchewan , Alberta
I've just sent my couch in to be copied with new mold and mildew resistant foam and fabric the old one had a horrible smell as the previous owner had not used the stream in over 10 yrs and loaded it up with moth balls. It is going to cost me $1500 but is going to be worth it
1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Gaucho Redo

Our "78" Ambassador had the original gaucho when we purchased it. Since it was falling apart I found a sofa out of an 90's Airstream. Neither one was comfortable. So we made a decision to have the newer sofa recovered with ultra leather and new foam. It made a big difference and gave us the look we were looking for…

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010307.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	200326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch 1.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	200327  

Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Steve H.
Sounds like a shim is a good idea...
Though I'd probably try 4 inches To try for that Barco Longer feel.
Ha ha