Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

High Point , North Carolina
Replace Plastic End Caps with Aluminum?

Hello,
I'm working on a 1977 Sovereign, and while the plastic interior end caps are in decent shape, they do have some spider cracks and I'm imagining they'll suffer even more if we try to reattach.

I've seen pictures online of end caps that have been replaced with cut aluminum sheeting. Is there a pattern available for this or a kit sold online anywhere?

Thanks for any advice,
Dave
superdave74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
11 peices 48 x 11 comes out like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	310405  
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Bought a full sheet from aircraft spruce shipped in a roll and had friend at metal shop sheer me the peices. Drilled one side while stacked together the assembled in place one at a time pulled down to buck rivet each. This was a pain to do and pop riveting would be way less work if that suits you
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Replace Plastic End Caps with Aluminum?

It also can be done in 1/16 plywood. I did 9 side panels at 48x12 with a 48x24 center panel on the front. I used buck rivets. The rear panels are longer but the method was the same. Aluminum would be easier. [eClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	310407Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	310408moji1]
Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave74 View Post
Is there a pattern available for this or a kit sold online anywhere?
If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for the end caps that open and shut Airstream windows.

My plastic ones fell apart when the camper was only 3 years old. I bought metal ones online and they work perfectly:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-294.htm

Happy camping!

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Ya its a shame that Airstream doesn't support it trailers... and have replacement stock on the end caps. We went through the same thing with the 85 having the front one start cracking due to heat and stress, etc... We joined the many who also had the same problem.. and went the way like others here with fabrication of options.

We looked into having them made from fiberglass .. and actually the shop that we worked with came up with a great replacement price based on one's and two's of production...

Its strange that Airstream with all its engineering didn't plan on having end caps that would stand the test of time.... or produce one out of Alu... that was drawn similar to the other parts they machine. Leaving the owner/user to fend for themself is not very nice.

I noticed that in one of the pix the owner has replaced the insulation with foam.. interesting to find out what R value and sound absorb it provided. I know that some of the other manufactures who used foam had some issues with trapped moisture and corrosion under it.

Its a shame that avion or one of the other trailer manufactures don't start back up producing... now that the RV industry is booming... so we can have a choice..
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #7
irishmike

1975 Argosy 24
Issaquah , Washington
Alum End Cap Fab and Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Bought a full sheet from aircraft spruce shipped in a roll and had friend at metal shop sheer me the peices. Drilled one side while stacked together the assembled in place one at a time pulled down to buck rivet each. This was a pain to do and pop riveting would be way less work if that suits you
I know this is an older post, but if you are still around, I am interested in doing something similar. Q1 - do you need to do both front and back caps the same for durability/stability? Q2 - I assume you insulated as well? What did you use?
irishmike is offline   Reply With Quote