Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Tygh Valley , Oregon
Re-upholster our sofa bed - what will it cost?

Just purchased a 1995 30' Classic Limited with an atrocious white-on-white front sofa bed (gaucho?) and a dinette to match. Cushions are either shot or weren't much good to begin with.

We want to get the sofa bed and dinette re-upholstered with a modern looking, quality fabric and new, stiffer, cushions.

Does anybody have any advice on where to get this work done in the Pacific Northwest? Also, any ball park estimates on price? I realize price can be all over the board based on material choice, but just having a starting point would be helpful.

We'll be in Arizona in the winter so I guess that we could have the work done there too. So, any recommendations in Arizona?

Thanks
willbrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I just did this. I'm in Texas, but the labor cost was $295 and the material (a 60s-mod gray twill) was $350.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I just did this. I'm in Texas, but the labor cost was $295 and the material (a 60s-mod gray twill) was $350.
And from what I hear that's about par for the course. It always surprises me, the cost of both the material, and the cost of putting it on.

It must take a lot longer to do it properly than I imagine that it does.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73
Where in Texas?? We want to have ours redone but haven't had any luck with upholsters. I'm in San Antonio.
Airstream76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It must take a lot longer to do it properly than I imagine that it does.
Heavy duty sewing machines, supplies, and most of all the knowledge - knowing how and having the equipment to do this type of work is expensive, and there are few people willing to pay $300 for a quilt when Walmart will sell you one for $40 - so the large costs are spread across fewer buyers.

My wife is heavily into the sewing crafts, and her long arm sewing machine (for quilt-making) was $3,300. She doesn't sell quilts any more because people don't want to pay what it actually costs, let alone anything extra for her.

So, it's not a time issue, it's an equipment cost issue. This is pretty typical of what you can expect to pay for a better quality basic quilting sewing machine. And remember, we're Airstreamers, so we all understand the urge to buy something of superior design and quality.

(and yeah, 3-phase commercial sewing machines can easily reach $25,000)
Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Congrats on the new rig! You'll love it - they're addictive, so beware. I re-upholstered my goucho and side compartments back in 2009 in Albuquerque where we live. I found a local automobile upholstery shop with excellent references - they did a very good job and met my expectations. I had them beef-up the cushion with high density foam and I used an aircraft grade (low flamable material) fabric. Cost-wise, I budgeted $500 and it came in slightly under that. I used the time while the goucho cushion and side compartments were at the shop (it was a 10-day job) to re-build the fold-out goucho bed frame mechanism and slide-out drawers, replaced the plywood and beefed up all the aluminum frame connection points with nyloc-through bolts. You can see the final job at my registry page here on AirForums. Good luck!

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Where in Texas?? We want to have ours redone but haven't had any luck with upholsters. I'm in San Antonio.
In Dallas
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We got our referral from the dealer service mgr

Couch much easier to shop for if you disassemble and remove it, which can be done with a couple wrenches and a screwdriver, plus a couple strong bodies.. "A couple hundred" is ballpark for both material cost and labor cost. We spent 600 on labor including new high density foam padding and cleanup, and $320 for heavy upholstery fabric from large fabric superstore in CA, which we still had to order from samples...

Waayyyy better now than the muave with pink and white flowers that it left factory with.. (We bought our '88 model in 2003, refurbished interior in 2005)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch_before.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	130533   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS_couch_aftr2.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	130534  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
We just got our gaucho cushions redone. I got the foam from 2 different stores. The firm 4" half price at Joann Fabrics. and the 2" large piece that coveres it from foam factory for about $56. The fabric I got at Hobby Lobby also on sale. In regards to an upholsterer, we used the same one a local good quality family owned furniture store uses. He only charged $135 to cut the foam and resew the new cushions. We gave him the original to use as a pattern. The other parts of the gaucho that are cloth and not so easily removed, I will wrap in batting, and staple a new fabric over it. I priced just the cushion from a store in fort wayne and it was going to be about $550 if I supplied the fabric and they supplied the foam. More if I brought them the foam. The way we chose to do it helped someone local, and only cost us about $350. Still a good bit of money, but not as much, especially if you add at least 2 round trips in gas, Fort Wayne is about 50 miles away and I only get 11MPG...lol Also saving money by doing the armrests and the front ourselves.
Good Luck....we are still learning on this too!
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #10

1964 26' Overlander
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbrackman View Post
Just purchased a 1995 30' Classic Limited with an atrocious white-on-white front sofa bed (gaucho?) and a dinette to match. Cushions are either shot or weren't much good to begin with.

We want to get the sofa bed and dinette re-upholstered with a modern looking, quality fabric and new, stiffer, cushions.

Does anybody have any advice on where to get this work done in the Pacific Northwest? Also, any ball park estimates on price? I realize price can be all over the board based on material choice, but just having a starting point would be helpful.

We'll be in Arizona in the winter so I guess that we could have the work done there too. So, any recommendations in Arizona?

Thanks
Hi! I am in Oregon, and am having Countryside Interiors in Junction City redo my two gauchos in my 1964 Overlander. They specialize in such.
TeachOnRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #11

1994 28' Excella
Seagoville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
In Dallas
What is the name of the place in Dallas?

Thanks!
Lifeisahiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We had the gaucho done in brown vinyl (to match the dog) for about 500. I thinki we used to old cushions but am not sure. I just screwed it back in when it came back from the shop. My suggestion is to change the stupid piece of OSB on the front of the drawer under the sofa with plywood before you get it covered. Almost impossible to re attach the OSB to the drawer front. Look it all over and make any design updates before sending it out for covering. I do not think there is anything specalized about the recovering. We just went to a local shop that some of the neighbors told us they had good service from.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dog-gone funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
We had the gaucho done in brown vinyl (to match the dog) for about 500.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
Just a bit obsessed!!!

1974 27' Overlander
1975 31' Sovereign
1965 26' Overlander
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Couch much easier to shop for if you disassemble and remove it, which can be done with a couple wrenches and a screwdriver, plus a couple strong bodies.. "A couple hundred" is ballpark for both material cost and labor cost. We spent 600 on labor including new high density foam padding and cleanup, and $320 for heavy upholstery fabric from large fabric superstore in CA, which we still had to order from samples...

Waayyyy better now than the muave with pink and white flowers that it left factory with.. (We bought our '88 model in 2003, refurbished interior in 2005)
I am having trouble finding how to detach the main seat and back of the gaucho, I don't see any bolts or screws to remove it from the wood or even from the aluminum frame? Any thoughts
Thanks Ben
Ibenoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #15

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Did you find anywhere to have this done in Central Texas?

Thank you in advance
Myjayred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Options

Contact local shops that do automobile or boat upholstery. RV furniture is no different.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Oro Valley , Arizona
We are in Arizona and wanting to get our gaucho reupholstered as well. I have found an upholstery place that I used for my home called Baca Upholstery which is excellent, but not sure how to get the sofa to them. The other place I've used was Panchos Auto upholstery, they said they could do it as well. The thing I'm concerned about is right now when I pull it out it's not even close to being level, it could be the old foam,but the back pieces seem to be below the seat pieces. Does this seem as though the mechanism needs help? And the other thing I had seen was someone put drawers where the drop down storage door was.
Ajlawcz is offline   Reply With Quote