Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2003, 07:14 AM   #1
art
3 Rivet Member

plastic ceiling panels

the end panels over the front window and ceiling in the rear bath are yellowing . anything that can be done to get the finish back or resurface ,would be helpful. looking for input.
art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I have some scrap plastic from an Airstream I have been experimenting with. About a week ago I tried some Krylon Fusion, a spray paint made for plastics. It is supposed to dry to maximum hardness in seven days, and so far looks promising.

It goes on very easily, but would require a LOT of masking to protect from the overspray. It dries in minutes, allowing you to apply several thin coats. It appears to adhear extremely well, and the surface seems very durable. It comes in several colors, including an ivory or off white that is pretty close to the trim in my unit.

On the downside, the contents reads like an EPA wanted poster. A heavy duty mask would be required. So would putting out all pilots and open flames. Maybe even those next door.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Mark,
I just saw the commercial on TV for the Krylon Fusion paint. It supposedly bonds with the plastic it is sprayed on. Keep us informed on how it holds up. By the way, the small hole I drilled at the end of that crack in my front dome plastic has worked fine. I took a 216 miles trip last week and no further cracking.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Krylon Fusion might be an easier way to paint the vinyl clad interior walls as well. At least, if you want a solid color. It would be a bit pricey, though, as the can says it covers 25 sq. ft. - which means as a practical matter it will cover much less.

Looks like it creates its bond through solvent welding. Ketones, tolulene, xylene, and I don't remember what all. Some of those will litterally disolve the plastic.

Mark
Old 04-06-2003, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I have been using a product called ColorCoat from a company by the name of SEM for years with excellant results on boat and auto interiors. It is an elastomeric flex coating thet comes in a spray can. Sold only at auto bodyshop suppliers. You can check it out at www.semproducts.com

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
pap

ABS Painting

Painting ABS plastic is a subject worthy of some good feedback (as is repairing it). There must be alot of "AsO's" (Airstream Owners ) who have attempted it over the years. The yellow End Liners both Front and Aft are one of the most disappointing things about Airstreams IMHO.

There is alot of data in the motorcycle world and the hobby world regarding repair and painting of ABS.(Farings and cowlings especially)
But I wonder if there are different types of ABS? I have read that the thinner ABS items are suceptible to melt distortions if coated with too thick a coat of some paints as well as with many other chemicals. A meltdown or warp on the End-Liners could be catostrophic to the pocketbook and happiness of the owner,especially if the End-Liners are no longer available as some have reported.

Kevin aka Overlander64 has a great looking redo of his bathroom ABS. I think it was professionally done, but I am thinking the bathroom fixtures are thicker ABS than the End-Liners.

I am very curious whether the Epoxy Porcelain look paints such as Klenks work on our ABS. Do they distort it? Do they stick? Do they last?

Also would like to know about the spray can stuff that looks like granite or concrete. What about zolatone or other spackle coat like trunk liner paint?

BTW Chas your link above is not working (at least for me).

A google search I tried (ABS plastic painting) returned 8700 leads but the first 35 or so I checked were really not germaine to this thread.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

The ABS plastic in the endcaps is much thicker than you might believe - right at 3 mm. It is unbelievably tough. I am sure that somebody at Airstream was flabergasted when they started to crack.

I can't imagine any regular paint product like Fusion or Sem Color Coat causing a melt down. Epoxies might be entirely different. I have also wondered about the granite look paints. I can see that looking pretty sharp.

Whatever is used is going to have to be able to stand some movement. That is what is causing the abs to crack.

Mark
Old 04-06-2003, 01:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
plastic ceiling panels

RE: Bathroom ABS Refinishing

I had a local bath refinisher refinish the entire bath area of my '64 Overlander. It was a rather involved procedure as there was some ABS, some fiberglass, and some other plastic product - - each of which required a different surface preparation techniche followed by a different -- primer followed by a different top coat - - fortunately; the system used by my refinisher offered the color that I wanted in all three required finishes. While I haven't had the opportunity to use the coach since the project was finished last fall; the refinisher is confident enough in the quality of the job that he offered me the same guarantee as is provided with his usual home jobs.

RE: Yellowed Interior Dome Panels

My '78 Arogsy Minuet suffers from the yellowed end-cap syndrome, but Arlene Fowler of Fowler interiors is planning to work her magic on those panesl as part of the interior refurbishment that is underway. My understanding is that her process involves a very thorough cleaning followed by sanding and a high-quality primer - - the final process is a multi-color sponge painting technique that results in a near perfect match to the existing aluminum panels in the balance of the coach. I have seen the results in several coaches; and if not mentioned, it would be impossible for me to identify that the panel had been refinished.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Has anyone tried any of the methods listed above yet (Krylon Fusion or Arlene Fowler's method)? I'm preparing to dive in shortly!

Curt
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

I posted a photo or two somewhere of my results. I patched the cracks from behind (at least all the ones I could get to), using pieces of abs plastic and abs cement. I then filled the cracks with plastic epoxy. Next I primed using a plastic primer. Finally I painted with soemthing called Stone Creations - it looks not unlike Zolotone, but with more color variation.

It really looks good.

Mark
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
I used Fusion

I was able to paint the front endcap with Krylon Fusion. A couple of notes. The ABS should definately be sanded, wiped down and then dusted with cheese cloth. It took me about 5 cans for the front end cap.

Masking off the area took a long time but I wasn't nearly careful enough as overspray went everywhere (even 10 feet back). The finish looks great but is fairly fragile to scratches.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote