Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
placing new cabinetry

I am totally impressed with this cabinet replacement and would like to know exactly how it is supported to the ceiling/frame? All I can find are rivets that currently hold up my lightweight original cabinetry? What kind of screws and supports were used and what about the vibration from the road?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS new interior and paint on old AS.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6256  
Old 04-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Also, what kind of paint was used on the interior? Did you use the original cabinetry for the templates? Sorry for so many questions, but I could not find any pictures that showed how it was done. Only the photos after the cabinetry was placed.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
That is livn-in-tin's trailer. It is an 87 model. It came with the cabinets installed like that from Jackson Center.

The cabinets quite often have a angle shaped section of aluminum at the back edge that allows for fastening to the skin and the cabinet, but remains light weight.

This will allow for installation of quite a few screws to hold the cabinets in. This is the same way your current ones are installed, but using a beefier angle piece. If you can hang the upper cabinets on a rib as well as the wall sheet it will be hard for them to come loose. I would suggest you take a look at a mid 80's-mid 90s model to see how Airstream did it and copy that.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet

Wish I had access to a later model to see exactly how they did it. I even researched ALL of the photos on the members photo page until my eyes were falling out of my head, but could not find that anyone else had shown how they had braced their cabinetry. I love the sleek 'airline' feel of my '74, but the old tambour doors are falling apart under the sink. The PO did not take good care of our unit before we purchased it, so we are gathering as much information as we can before tackling a remodeling project on our own. I have started a pictoral notebook of ideas taken from other AS'ers from this site so I will have 'how to's" and plan on posting all of our photos on a step by step basis with each project that we take on...Does anyone or can anyone provide photos from thier later modeled AS's with this type of cabinetry as I would like to see the type of bracing that is used and also how the curved wood is attached to the inner skin. I can't tell the thickness of the wood or tell if it is veneered plywood.....Hahaha--with my luck, I will try it on my own only to find cabinetry in the floor on our next trip----ohhhhh the hearbreak!!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I took a closer look at how the upper cabinets were installed when I was looking at a '91 Limited a while back. They appear to be fastened with two sizes of rivets - the larger size rivets appear to fasten the front part of the cabinets just inside the doors to the ceiling, through a metal bracket, through the interior wall into the ribs. Then it looks like smaller rivets are used sparingly to sort of suck the cabinetry to the wall. The area of the overhead cabinets which bear the most load is where the larger rivets are used.

I took a few pictures, but I don't think I took pics of that specifically. Hope it kind of gives an idea, though...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Did you post your photos in the member's gallery?? They did not upload with your response...
Old 04-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
imeynstein,

What pictures I've taken I haven't posted as of yet. I can if you like, though I'm not sure how helpful they'd be for your specific needs.

I'll try to get 'em up this evening, in any event.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein
Also, what kind of paint was used on the interior? Did you use the original cabinetry for the templates? Sorry for so many questions, but I could not find any pictures that showed how it was done. Only the photos after the cabinetry was placed.
I had pm'd the owner and he told me that he brushed on silver aluminum type paint, being careful to brush it so that the darker grey streaks at the edges did not show.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Talking

Posting the photos would be GREAT! I still can't get to my mother's yet to take photos as it has been raining off and on for about two weeks and her yard is standing in mud and water around our AS. I don't think it will EVER get dry enough for us to move it! Guess I could borrow a boat!
Thanks for the info. on the paint! I have been going back and forth to Lowe's making my lists in preparation for this summer's project--I guess it would not hurt to Kilz for the prep before painting, but I wonder if they used some sort of sealant or clear coat??? Thanks a bundle for checking out the info for me!!