Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Painting / Repairing holes in interior skin 77 LY

I'm looking for some advice on refurbishing the interior skin on our 77 LY 31' Center Bath.

We'd like to repaint it and patch the myriad holes that others have drilled. Any advice on paint, primer and patching holes.

Previous owners couldn't stop themselves from sheet metal screws to hold stuff up. I suspect some kind of paintable filler is needed.

Raz
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
I am curious also. I have heard people recommending getting new interior sheets, but seems such a waste to me. I just painted mine with krypton fusion. Took more coats than I would have thought, but seems to work well. If I had it to do over, I would look into non-spray options. The ABS items seem to be a little trickier. I have had some small areas that have blistered, but overall things have gone well. I have even painted the Formica on the partition walls. Time will tell on durability. Anyway, more to the point I noticed that VTS has a vinyl repair product. I was thinking that might be something that would help. I will be placing an order today, planning on enquiring about this product. I tried to kill 2 birds as I sealed with parrbond, but where I filled holes was not pretty. Oh, and I used ABS glue kind of like bondo to fill holes on the end cap and bathroom pieces. Keep us informed if you find any good products/techniques.
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Oh sorry, that's krylon fusion, not krypton (but thanks for playing, spellcheck).
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Wonderful info spouse can't wait to get started