Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Painting over Zolatone and other paint questions?

OK, I know nothing of Zolatone but assume thats whats in this 68 30 ft Sovereign???? What kind of paint do I use for painting over the Zolatone???? I know its an odd paint and I prefer Behr (sp) from Home depot, it sbeen great on my home and an extreamely windy part of Northern Nevada and hold up great.

I dont know what to use on the Zolatone, primer or what kind of top coat? Is there a specific paint I have to use, I thought Kevin Tetz (The DIY GUY)suggested one type of paint for over the top of the Zolatone

HOW ABOUT FOR OTHER SURFACES?

I also paint using automotive paints and expoxy and top coat primers on vehicles I do, however, I have actually used Omni expoxy gray primer over some wood, which them allows me to use an automotive top coat. I did this for shop cabinets, as I wanted some shinny metal looking cabinets and it worked well. I have a few areas inside the 68 that I may do like this as we may go with a hotrod theme and or surf, woody theme in ours. Still deciding.

Any help is appreciated????

Thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreaminside1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	78055   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream visors.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	78056  

LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Give Inland Andy a call or PM. He's been doing this for a while, and should be able to steer you in the direction you want to go, if he's not horribly busy.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Here is a closer shot of what I am painting over.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstreaminside2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	78058  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
I dont know this looks more like a vinyl covering than the Zolatone???? But mine is a 68, and I was told that 68 should be zolatone. However I have not seem Zolatone before, so I am at a loss.?????

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstreaminside2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	78059  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2002 16' Bambi
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Delta , BC
You are right it is a vinyl covering, Zolatone looks like paint you would see in older car trunks. It,s a flecked, slightly textured paint with two or three different colors in it.
kevin barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWFISH View Post
I dont know this looks more like a vinyl covering than the Zolatone???? But mine is a 68, and I was told that 68 should be zolatone. However I have not seem Zolatone before, so I am at a loss.?????

Dave
Kevin is right...it's vinyl. It may even have a coat of paint already on it - maybe not, it's hard to tell from the photos. Regardless, to paint it, you will need to make sure the walls are super, super clean - wash with TSP or Simple Green and rinse several times so no stickiness remains. Then prime and paint. If there is paint already on it, then your new paint will only be as good as the first paint job - if it wasn't done right, your new paint could flake/peel off with the old paint. If it's clean vinyl, there are special primers meant for vinyl wallcovering - check with a paint store near you (like Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc) for a professional product for best results. But don't skip this step - the primer is the key to a successful paint job.

I have seen a late 60's trailer that had the vinyl wallcovering with Zolatone painted over it...it looked GREAT!

FWIW, this is what Zolatone looks like...we just re-did ours in our '56. It you want to see what's involved, check out my "It's a Girl!!!" thread starting at about post #271.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Thanks, we went and looked at the trailer again today, wife, daughter and I. We cant wait to get it home, but its ging to be June or maybe even July, since I need to get a few things done around here first an dmake room for it.

I stopped at Lowes and was informed there (just like the DIY video) that I MUST use an oil based paint or primer first and seal it after its clean. Then I can use a latex based paint and cover the oil based primer. I am only assuming that the paint guy is correct, but its all I have for now.

We are going to paint all the roof and same vinyl surfaces the same color, not sure yet, but we are going for a total all out beach theme.

we shall see.

Thanks for any assistance.

Now, where is th ebest place to buy some sheet aluminum for th einterior? I am lookign for both regular and or the brushed stuff with the swirl in it or I can make my own swirl.

Dave
Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Kevin is right...it's vinyl. It may even have a coat of paint already on it - maybe not, it's hard to tell from the photos. Regardless, to paint it, you will need to make sure the walls are super, super clean - wash with TSP or Simple Green and rinse several times so no stickiness remains. Then prime and paint. If there is paint already on it, then your new paint will only be as good as the first paint job - if it wasn't done right, your new paint could flake/peel off with the old paint. If it's clean vinyl, there are special primers meant for vinyl wallcovering - check with a paint store near you (like Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc) for a professional product for best results. But don't skip this step - the primer is the key to a successful paint job.

The above is the dilemma we have now....the P.O. didn't clean the dirty vinyl before putting latex paint on some of the panels....the application is sketchy with thick spots, thin spots, drips, paint peeling off the trim,etc.....is there any way to strip the paint from the vinyl without ruining it so that I can figure out if we'll just clean it or paint it the right way, with the right prep....any hints are greatly appreciated
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
...is there any way to strip the paint from the vinyl without ruining it so that I can figure out if we'll just clean it or paint it the right way, with the right prep....any hints are greatly appreciated
I would try a very mild paint stripper like Motsenbocker's Lift Off #5 Latex Paint Remover. It can be found at Home Depot or Lowes or online. We found it worked really well at removing LATEX paint without damaging the Zolatone surface below. I also used it on our fiberglass light fixtures & some other "fragile" surfaces that were painted. I would assume it would work just fine and not damaged the vinyl - but test it in a small area first. The only problem we had in our trailer (which was entirely painted) was that over the latex there was an oil based glaze - the Lift Off #5 did not cut through the glaze - and the products that did, also cut into the Zolatone. Some stronger paint removers will also eat up the vinyl - so go with the mildest thing you can - heck, warm soapy water may even take it off if it wasn't prepped right.

Good luck...stripping the interior of a trailer is no fun! I am SOoooo glad that is behind me! Yuck!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^thanks for the great suggestions.......I'm hoping like you said that maybe it's a bad enough paint job that scrubbing it really well will remove it...I doubt the PO put any glaze on it since he just painted over everything, light switches included?! I guess he was planning on using lanterns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
stripping the interior of a trailer is no fun! I am SOoooo glad that is behind me! Yuck!
I agree about the stripping of the interior.....not looking forward to it, but am trying to put in the rear view as soon as possible....
Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I've got a couple of suggestions

For the paint that's peeling, try sanding it gently with fine sand paper just to get an even surface. Wash everything really well to make sure there is no surface gunk. Then use Sherwin Williams Bonding Primer. I adore this stuff. They even make a version that will prime glass. They can tint it so that applying whatever color you want doesn't take as many coats unless you want boring white. Because of the "issues" with the old paint you could disguise it by faux painting with a sponge a couple of colors from the same color family on the paint swatch.

Here a couple of pics of the inside my '72. All of it is faux painted (even the front of the fridge). The trim is a solid color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8995 susans table-m.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	83497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8997 susans kitchen-m.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	83498  

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #12
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
p.s.....thanks "InsideOut" for the recommendation for lift off, i saw it at WalMart then the gel....if you let the gel sit for 10 min then scrub it all into a paint "soup" with the spray, then you can spray it down with water and get 90% off, then rinse/dry/repeat....once the paint is removed, whatever "patina" is left is staying, my arm is numb from scrubbing!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Yay! Glad you found something to work for you ~

Shari

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
What a beautiful kitchen! Is that really latex over primer over Zolatone?
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
My PO painted over the zolatone everywhere but the bathroom. Its now a plain white. I'm afraid when I start scrubbing I'll never get all the scuffs and smudges out of the white paint, esp around the door where people were obviously in and out with grubby hands.

How can I tell what kind of paint I've got? should I worry about stripping, or just prime over it and re-paint? what is the proper paint to use on the interior?
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote