Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
paint interior wall or leave as is? 1972

I see a lot of people paint their interior walls. Is this a personal preference or is there something undesirable about the interior from this era, either in terms of texture, stickiness, smell, etc? We have a 1972 that's in decent shape interior-wise so I'm just curious what everybody's motivations are for painting.
aaryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
My walls would not come clean after scrubbing with everything this Forums recommended so I painted.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaryno View Post
I see a lot of people paint their interior walls. Is this a personal preference or is there something undesirable about the interior from this era, either in terms of texture, stickiness, smell, etc? We have a 1972 that's in decent shape interior-wise so I'm just curious what everybody's motivations are for painting.
I think it's mostly personal preference in the 70's trailers - people want to "freshen it up" &/or don't like the vinyl wallcovering. However, Airstreams are only original once...so I would say don't paint it unless it is irretrieveably damaged. Once it's painted, it's tough to go back.

Our '56 Safari was painted by the previous owner when we got it and we went to great pains to get rid of all the paint and go back to near-original.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
I believe some people paint the vinyl because it often gets tacky. It's probably more of a preference though. I'm thinking the 70s wallpaper would look out of place if other interior features were updated. Personally I like the look of the 70s and plan to keep the original look in my Airstream. With alot of scrubbing I was able to get the vinyl walls clean. There is some slight color fade in spots but it's not unsightly and it matches the age of the trailer.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
thanks

Thanks. I had read about people being upset with tacky but we haven't yet experienced that issue but haven't been living in it. As you said, it's only original once. We actually like the original interior so not going to paint it unnecessarily. It seems to have become pretty clean just with regular household cleaning products. Was mostly just wondering if there was something I didn't know about.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
. . .
. . . go back to near-original.

Shari
Great photos at your blue hot link!

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ours had been partially painted on the inside by a PO, long before we got her. Not sure if we could have gotten that paint off without damaging the vinyl. We chose to paint the entire interior. We were doing a gut and rework anyway, so it made sense to us.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
Bompagene

1979 31' Sovereign
Las Vegas , Nevada
Interior walls

Our 79 Sovereign was getting the’ ‘tacky’ feel also. I found that Formula 88 (we get it at Lowe’s by the gallon) works great. Not just for the walls, but just about anything greasy.
Bompagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
My wife just cleaned it and painted it ...no issues ...we were in a major reno anyway .....dont remember it being sticky.... just mostly old and needed freshening up. Worked great and is still good after 5 years.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
BAKING SODA mixed to a thick paste, pile it on the sticky vinyl and leave to dry, i didnt need to remove the baking soda as it turns to a white dust anyway.
In the manufacture off that vinyl there is a embossed base off tough vinyl sheet maybe a very durable urothane with a thick clear coating covering. That clear coating can or does goes tacky, for some chemical reason baking soda re stabilise's and re sets that top clear coat.
A five minute job to do and after five yesrs have not needed to be done again.
That same past i'v also put on the yellowing interior AC covers and other interior end caps, they require paper towells saturated in the backing soda and needed a few hits at it turns then whiter, nicer.
The vinyl has a depth to its appearance unlike a flat paint.
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
BAKING SODA mixed to a thick paste, pile it on the sticky vinyl and leave to dry, i didnt need to remove the baking soda as it turns to a white dust anyway.
In the manufacture off that vinyl there is a embossed base off tough vinyl sheet maybe a very durable urothane with a thick clear coating covering. That clear coating can or does goes tacky, for some chemical reason baking soda re stabilise's and re sets that top clear coat.
A five minute job to do and after five yesrs have not needed to be done again.
That same past i'v also put on the yellowing interior AC covers and other interior end caps, they require paper towells saturated in the backing soda and needed a few hits at it turns then whiter, nicer.
The vinyl has a depth to its appearance unlike a flat paint.

interesting about the baking soda. have been using simply green and have tried baking soda as well. my sister and i have a joke about anything related to grime or health... Have you tried baking soda?

as far as the other interior elements i pulled them all out and have scrubbed them with a brush and comet so they are all ready to go back in except that lo the rubberized or plastic trim pieces have shrunken over the years. need to find a source for those, probably fairly common, manila-colored trim.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
Rick Rivets

Powell , Wyoming
The TSP that many recommend works great! tsp/ trisodium phosphate.
Rick Rivits is offline   Reply With Quote