out-of-body experience with mouse fur cleansing with a pressure washer
When I acquired a 95 Excella last fall, it needed a subfloor replacement in the rotting rear bedroom. I stripped off the nasty pieces of mouse fur and rolled them up to save and use them as patterns for new material. The piece on the streetside corner, where the electric cables emerged, was particularly nasty due to a longtime bumblebee/wasp infestation. (Factoid: Bumblebees often nest in abandoned mouse burrows, and there was evidence of mousies in the floor too.)
Today I was going to order new material, and so I laid out the original mouse fur on the driveway to measure. Well just for the heck of it, I got out a pressure washer and its recommended detergent, and Oxy-Clean powder. I wetted down the mouse fur, scrubbed with a housebroom and waited 15-20 minutes, and then pressure-rinsed. Then I repeated the procedure again with an Oxy-Clean solution. Surprisingly, the mouse fur looks as good or better than what's still on the walls! Apparently, the mouse fur fibers are very resistant to contamination - the problem with cleaning mouse fur is getting the dirt particles loose and out.
I wish that I'd taken some pictures of the worst pieces (yuck), but I'll post a pic of one piece. I did blast a quarter-sized hole in one piece of mouse fur due to over-enthusiasm, but I'll figure out a way to graft a piece in to disguise the defect.