Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
New Curtains ???

Having just picked up my "new" 86 32' Excella I am faced with replacing the original, PEACH, drapes. I just got the info from James Ambruso in Florida (the guy who makes A/S drapes to order) and was told I was in for a long wait if I order them from him. I am looking now for a quick fix for the summer camping season. Has anyone used drapes/curtains off the shelf from Camping World or any other store for their A/S? Any suggestions appreciated!

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Question To drape or not to drape....

that is the question. Whether tis noblier to..... Good grief, nothing like the brain cell from high school English kicking in... Anyway...

Patti, not being very familiar with each and every type of drapery system for each decade, model, etc. ... do you have pinch pleated with the tapes or hooks or what? In other words how is it configured?

Our drapes are being made by husband's old high school girlfriend (who knew she would come in handy someday?) , but I had considered a system of upholstery material and velcro at one time. Tension rods also come to mind unless you have a curved front window.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Patti,

In our Safari, we used these curtain clips. With these, you can use any fabric panel and just clip them into place. If your existing hardware could accommodate the clips, it might be a good temporary solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain clip sm.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	22399   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain sm.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	22400  

Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wallpaper

Wallpaper them for a short term fix. It won't adhere too tightly so you can peel it back off easily.

I saw an SOB today that had plastic that looked like stained glass in it's front window - I'm sure that just stays on by static electricity.

Either would allow you to camp while waiting for your new curtains to arrive.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,
Until we can get ours professionaly made, I bought some inexpensive fabric from wal mart and used grograin ribbon and made tab curtains for Goliath. So far everyone who has seen them thought they were fairly good. I doubled the fabric for the bedroom curtainds. It was something to keep me busy last summer during recovery from a total knee replacement.
I kind of like them, because they open and close easily. Our coach did not have the factory tracks or the curtain tabs, so we put up simple rods and just slid the curtains on.

Marie
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl54FC
Having just picked up my "new" 86 32' Excella I am faced with replacing the original, PEACH, drapes. I just got the info from James Ambruso in Florida (the guy who makes A/S drapes to order) and was told I was in for a long wait if I order them from him. I am looking now for a quick fix for the summer camping season. Has anyone used drapes/curtains off the shelf from Camping World or any other store for their A/S? Any suggestions appreciated!

Patti
Drapes are available from Airstream, through a dealer.

Usually takes about three weeks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl54FC

Patti
We bought ours from JC Penney. Since most of the original plastic hangars were broken, I had to install some small cafe rods. The curtains all fit perfectly out of the box except two sets needed hemmed. They have a good selection. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin 65
We bought ours from JC Penney. Since most of the original plastic hangars were broken, I had to install some small cafe rods. The curtains all fit perfectly out of the box except two sets needed hemmed. They have a good selection. --dave

Drapes are available from Airstream for the 1969 and up models, only.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Snellville , Georgia
Drapes

You can buy the proper hangers from the dealer or some other source.
I don't know where you live, but you can go to your local craft shop like "Hobby Lobby","Jo Ann's", "Hancock Fabrics", etc. Pick out the material you want, ask for a reference from the store for someone who sews, they all know someone! Someone who knows what they are doing can have them done for you in a few days. Just take them a section of the old curtains to use for a pattern and measure carefully. My mother in law is making mine, but I've done this before. Good luck!
caseyd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Fowler?

One other source that advertises Airstream drapes regularly in Blue Beret is Fowler in KY.. Web site is www.fowlerrvinteriors.com

Don't know enought to make reference, we waited for Ambruso... (Ours were Salmon-Pink color with wavy pattern in fabric weave... An interesting 1988 color scheme to compliment the pink and mauve flowers...)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote