Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Thanks for the link! I'm surprised at how big the curved cushion is... I guess I can just make a template from the empty space when I pull the gaucho out? Thanks for your help
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Yes, that would work. I used brown craft paper to trace the dimensions of the curved piece from the original. If I didn't have it I would have laid the other two foam pieces in place with the craft paper beneath them (being sure the paper was true and square to the sides and front of the trailer) and then cut or traced the template. Still looking for the templates I made. I'll probably find them when you post you are finished!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Hi guys, I found my receipt from when I ordered new foam for my gaucho and twin bunks. I had the original couch that they used as a template, although it was pretty deteriorated.

Twin bunks: 33" wide x 74" long - they are just 6 inches skinnier than a standard twin size mattress, FYI. I went with a medium density foam that was 5" thick, they are comfy!

Gaucho:
Seat: 21" wide x 86" long x 5" thick (if my memory serves me right this was a little bit too long and I had to trim it a few inches, so 86" may have been a typo, sorry!)
Backrest: 15" wide x 76" long x 5 " thick
Hidden piece: 12" wide x 76" long x 5" thick

Now, this obviously doesn't take into account the curves and angles for the backrest and the hidden piece since they rest up against the curved walls of the trailer, but the foam is really easy to trim using an electric knife to get it perfect. Just like carving a turkey.

Good Luck!
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks loads for this! I can finally order my foam!!! Just to make things more complicated, Tabasco, do you know the lengths and widths of your beds? You have twins, right?

Thanks again.
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
ELECTRIC CARVING KNIFE: They work great on memory foam mattresses! We installed a queen bed (Left-to-Right) with headboard along street side in aft bedroom. The electric knife was great to "carve" the foam to fit the curved wall!

;-)

Art
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Now I know that with the gaucho slides you can lengthen them by decreasing their overlap, potentially making the bed much bigger. I have also heard that you can decrease the cushions from three to two. Has anyone done this...more importantly do you have photos of this!! Sorry if I have hijacked this thread but is is gaucho related!! You may want to consider this before ordering the foam!