Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Moon Beams New Decor Theme

Well here it is. Just had to make her not so how do you put it - straight out of the factory.... 35 years ago looking.

It was not all that easy to come up with a theme to fit 1969. There was a lot going on back then (along with a lot of things I don't think anyone would want to make a theme about!)

So to look at the neat cool things....
Woodstock with flower power and peace, the end of the beatles era, and Man on the Moon mix those together in my head anyway and this is what I come up with.

Celestrial & Whimsical Toss Cushions with gold tassles (everywhere)

Navy Suede Seat Cushions and Back Supports

Starlight Milkyway Curtains on all windows - With Bamboo Blinds with Celestrial stencils (not shown) Along with Bamboo Bead replacement door for the Lovely plastic beige contraption that is a bit warped at the moment.

Dense Rubber Flooring with Blue & Gray Flecks (note: grey flecks not shown)

Accent Pieces: Celestrial Chimes, Tea Towel hooks Glow in the Dark Ceiling Stars Brass candle holders with stars and moons and anything else neat I can find that does not put me into the 6000# range!

Breaking out the sewing machine this weekend - since it is still too cold to do anything else.

SPK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colour swatch mb copy.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	5167  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I found some great fabric here:
http://reprodepotfabrics.com/
Old 03-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
holy celestial seasonings batman!.......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
OK, I LOVE the glow in the dark stick on stars! There is a young couple that painted their rig interior RED . Everywhere! With gold accents.

I think it is FANTASTIC when Airstreamers use their imagination to decorate their Airstream...No offense to those with a 'factory finish' but "how boring"...HAVE SOME FUN!!!

Way to go!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Glow in the dark floors

I met with a Tarkett flooring rep today to go over some of their new products. They have a VCT floor that has glow in the dark specks. The specks charge under lights and maintain the glow for up to two hours.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey Davydd;

That floor sounds really cool - but I don't know if I could handle the ceiling floors, sheets, pillows all glowing at once! I'd have to wear sunglasses all night long.

SPK
Old 03-12-2004, 06:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Nice work, stock the fridge with Moon Pies and give me a call. I like the creativity. Awesome

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
my...here is an awesome combo...moon pies and prune tang...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We think alike!!

I will have to post some pics soon of the changes I have made to our 22' Argosy. We, too have gone Celestial, with shower curtains and curtain rings, bath rug, waste basket and a cross-stitch picture I made. We will also soon have a stained-glass (made with window cling) celestial privacy window in the back. I have loved the moon/sun/stars theme for some time - even my personal checks have the moon/stars. Interesting too, that our trailer came from Canada. Like minds I guess!!

I am interested in what you said about the bamboo blinds. Are there pics of those? I have thought of just covering my shades in some way, but would like to see pics of what you have.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
COArgosy7

Sorry no pics yet of the blinds - there are several kinds we are looking at. The real macoy, and the many synthetic products that are much easier to clean.

We just found some really neat blinds that have the straw like bamboo and it has been died, (Yeh a mustard yellow to match everything) The only thing is they are really long and a bit of a waste - going to see if we can get just the hardware and cut them ourselves - we could probably get three out of one. Still like the idea of making a few accent stencils and spray on or paint either/combination of stars, moons, sun etc.

We are also just looking at the bathroom accessories. - found a nice celestrial style at sears (a bit pricy though) but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!.

Picked up a "Bed In a Bag" set from Wal-mart (Yep Celestrial) for our bedroom. The only thing we will not use is the bed skirt so I have hubby picking it apart for me to use the material for a few throw cushions Also found a fleece throw - ahuh celestrial too - for those chilly spring and fall nights.

Our latest idea is using a wall paper boarder we found at Home Depot that is yes of course celestrial as a centre accent on the bulkhead cupboard doors. Right now they have pink vynol stuff that is falling off - and it does not match anything (everything else is light blue and yellow - so where the pink comes in - must have run out of the 60's stuff and moved onto the 70's stuff) Anyway because of the colour of our wood a nice deep rich Birch- it will look like it was painted on and will blend in a subtle way rather than loud. We found a nice crackle Formica - and would like to re-do the table - the same crakle is in the border celestrial sun.

I'm afraid I was out voted today - and I guess money had a bit to do with it as well - so the rubber floor is out and the pergo floor is in (but I get the rubber back celestrial carpet runners instead) It is much lighter in colour and with all the Navy Blue - we thought the black floor would be a bit too dark. - Got it for a steal - $1.29 sq ft - at Home Depot today.

I can't wait to see this all finished - would love to see your pictures too. Keep intouch through PM's.

I just bought one of those bamboo Bead doors from E-bay to replace the plastic door - it will be cool - hope the Haily dog does not decide to chew on it she likes anything that moves.

SPKMoon Pies and Prune Tang Must get me a recepie for these!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Here is a sample of the new table top formica and the border that will be applied to the wood surface of the bulkhead cupboards throughout the coach. (we have five all together)

It will be a nice contrast to the Navy Celestrial that also has the sand mustard colour in it as well.

The Formica sample is made by "Formica - Gilded Glaze Matte Finish - 7701-58" and the Border sample is by Encore - a Canadian Company out of Brampton Ontario Pattern # CL45026B.

Our new floor - is the Light Cherry which is almost the same colour as the Formica sample.

As our coach was trimmed out in the brass finish - it lends itself really well to the gold/brass highlights of the Celestrial theme.

SPK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bordertabletop copy.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	5209  
Old 03-13-2004, 08:15 PM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I used the matchstick type blinds in the bedroom area of my 1971. Similar to bamboo.
Be aware that you can see right through them at night.
I made outside liners from heavy canvas and glued them to the upper rail. Now the blinds are no longer transparent, and from the outside it looks like I have roman shades. they roll right up with the blinds, no problem.
I had to cut the blinds, too. They were way too long.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

moon beam

I really like the theme you have going.

I went back and look at your photo album and you have really a good looking a/s.

Please keep us updated on her transitions, your photos are very enjoyable to look at and it will be fun for all of us.

Being able to take a vintage airstream and transform it has to be one of the best things about having one. I doubt if many ppl with SOB's ever do that. (I have seen scottys)

Enjoy

Tom and Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Mini's Celestial Look

I have been itching to post some pics now that we have returned from our Spring Break in Moab, Utah. I didn't have time (and pics weren't reformatted) before we left. Here is a pic of the bath area (I told you we were thinking alike!) with sun/moon theme.

and a closeup of the shower curtain (see the curtain hooks!?!)

and last, but not least, the picture I created (I really love the combined sun/moon face). I am still working w/faux stained glass creator on window cling for back bath area. Hope to see it completed next week. Then I can post it too. Can't wait to see how yours is coming along also. Maybe sometime we will end up at same rally and park next to each other!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bathroom in Mini.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	5655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower curtain in Mini.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	5656  

Name:	Moon & Stars picture in Mini.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	5657  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Plugging away slowly

Hi Leigh
Wow are we ever a like!

A few weeks ago I picked up almost the same shower set - the curtain, hooks, rug, and soap dispenser - a bit pricy but worth the theme .

Went a little different on the pillows for the front dinette. Thought all the tassles would be too enticing for Haily our Golden (bit of a chewer- sneaky chewer at that) so we went with the yellow and blue braid edging.

So we just stuck with tassles in the stateroom bed ensamble. Here are the extra little pillows and roll I made to go with the set I picked up at Wal-mart (bed in a bag - great deal) The comforter has this star pattern on one side and the sun/moon on the other.

Just taking a break as I type from the upholstery. Working on the back rests first - to get the hang of sewing the thick material - very easy to work with (much easier than that braided stuff - boy was it hard to keep straight - Decided to keep the welting/piping around the edge of the seat cushions but had to make sure I could get my sewing machine through it all - no problem.

It will be several weeks I'm sure before I get all this done! and a few trips for thread.

We too hope we meet up one day - If I had an Argosy - I might be inclined to go a little wild and paint a moon and sun on the outside(tastefully of course) - but if that is not to your liking - try some decal places for the window stickers - I picked up a really neat sun from our Canadian Tire store - auto department.

Moab sounds very inviting hope you had nice weather! It is at last warmer here and pretty much all the snow is gone but it has been raining for the past 3 days now!

Will keep you and all posted on our progress. Look forward to seeing more photos of your theme too - althought they are the same they still seem to be very different - can't believe all the different celestial designs out there.

SPK
Old 04-03-2004, 08:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oops was not paying attention - files were too big

Here are the two photos mentioned above

SPK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed pillows.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	5660  
Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey why won't it take two at a time - again???
When I selected both files it just replaces each other - oh well here is the other one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinette Backrest Cushions.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	5661  
Old 04-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Awesome!

Great sewing jobs! Here's some hints that I discovered while sewing our new covers for the new foam. (What a job!). I sewed with thick German Guttman thread (available at Joanne's). When sewing with cording, sew cording to one panel. When sewing the next panel to the one with cording already attached (three layers, panel, cording/panel), put the panel WITHOUT the cording attached on the bottom, and sew with the panel/cording on the top. This way you can pin and stretch the top cording/panel back towards you, while controlling the feed into the machine.

What I found was that I was getting shorted on the lengths when it came time to sew the final panel to the 2/3 completed boxing. IT WAS DRIVING ME NUTS!! Pull stiches, and try again!! ARRGGH! I couldn't figure it out! I was starting with perfectly square fabric pieces, but was ending up with almost two inches short! I finally figured out that when I was sewing the three together, if I had the cording/panel on the bottom, the bottom feeding foot would just slightly bunch up the fabric, while I was pulling taught the top piece. It did this with two different machines, despite pressor foot adjustments. After I made the adjustment to make a mental note to keep the cording/panel on top, no more problems!

I also used a denim needle. The hardest part was learning how to fold together the cording when they meet. Well, and also learning how to sew from scratch!
Looks Great!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
That is neat! Our 'new' A/S needs some character.... We'll be watching your progress for ideas.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Marc - Now you tell me

My machine is doing really well - it is just the operator .

Cheaped out and used the cording from the old cushions on my first seat back - everything went great until I had a look at the finished job - perfect size, perfect fit, perfect sewing - but....

The welting looks like it came off a friendly giant couch! it is way too big and stands out like a sore thumb! So guess who is picking out all the stitches I did yesterday.

I'll be off to the store to buy some new stuff because if "ya" think I'm going to pick all the cording/welting out of the old material "ya" nuts - unless of course the new stuff is $10. a yard or something silly.

Thanks for the hints Marc I will keep them in mind, although I guess I was lucky I did not have any trouble with material puckering (four layers of material).

Maybe I'll move to the curtains instead - they have to be easier than the upholstery - then again I have all the carriers to pick off the old curtains - and they have been sewn on with the friendly giants industrial banger. My hands will be all crumpled by the time I finish this job

It is a lot of fun though.

Will post new pics if I ever finish anthing