Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Hilandr451
Rivet Mint interior 1965 Overlander time machine.

Hello everybody, my name's Greg and I've just recently purchased a beautifuly preserved 1965 Overlander. An old friend of mine (co-writer & bass player in my band) had procured this jewel from a client in the elder care facility he owned & operated at his ranch in Apple Valley Calif. I had been after my friend for years to sell, but he stubbornly held out even though he never used it. 8 years went by and there it sat beside his house, tin foil on all of the windows just gathering dust.

I finally convinced him to consider selling it to me in June when we drove down from Vacaville where we now live to visit him. $3500.00 later & I was making plans to bring her up to Nor Cal & start the resto process.

She was pretty dirty when I towed her home so I expected the worst. My son & I did a thorough cleaning and got rid of a few yards of horrible blue indoor-outdoor carpet, I was pretty amaised at what we had uncovered. Virtually everything was still there, intact & in working condition. The AC, the Dometic 'fridge, The MagicChef oven, everything works! The interior is Honduran Mahogony and is in surprisingly good condition. I started re-oiling it with Watco oil and although it was rather thirsty for having been stored in the Mojave for 30 years, but with a light sanding and some elbow grease, that rich reddish hue came right back like new!

You can see the contrast from the bathroom cabinets and the bedroom bulkheads that haven't been done yet.

Here's some pictures of what we have so far if anyone's interested in what the original interior looked like in a '65 Overlander with a street side galley and a "Devan" style front.http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...339&uid=458225

We plan on covering over the original asbestos containing floor tiles with some laminated wood flooring but for now, I'll stay with the 9"x9"s until I get done spilling cleaners & varnish!

I'll keep you posted on the progress. Anyone have any ideas where I can find 6" thick cushion foam? I would like to re-stuff the devan cushions they're hard and disintegraiting.
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Very nice Greg. Certainly not much is needing to be done to this beauty. Keep us informed on your progress.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
outstanding find! brad is correct, not much is needed!

you may want to consider modern linoleum tiles instead of a wood floor for more of a period look.

i like the handbooks and ashtray!

john
Old 09-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
i like the handbooks and ashtray!

john
It came with the original Owner's manual (held together with shoe laces) and all the paper work for all the add ons - gas lamp, front window "road filter" etc. I have the lifetime guarantee certificate from the Original owner, and all of the California registration cards from 1965 through 1978 when it was last registered. We are the 4th owners. I wonder if we can resume the original Caravan number when the second owners joined the WBCC?

I'm in the process of restoring my 1966 Chevy C20 "Custom Camper" pick-up truck to pull it with. It's sure going to look nice behind that classic rig!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
What a great looking unit! Is the "box" on the roof an A/C unit?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Wow. Just, Wow! If that interior is in as good a shape as it appears in the pictures, you're going to have one beautiful camper when you're done. And the great part is that it doesn't look there's a lot to do (well, comapred to some us!) I love the interiors of the '60's trailers, especially those "exotic" woods. And to top it off, you got one hell-uv-deal on it. Congrats! Great find.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
What a great looking unit! Is the "box" on the roof an A/C unit?
Yes. It's an Armstrong AC unit. And see that brick over the front ceiling vent? In my haste to get it home, I didn't notice it was there. It stayed on top of the unit all the way from Apple Valley Ca. down the grapevine through Sacramento all the way to Vacaville without falling off. That could have done some serious damage to my wife's new Dodge Caravan on the way home!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Well then, I think the brick needs to stay. It's a great conversation piece and it certainly likes its perch.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Hmmm

I'm so jealous~!!
But..happy for you...
Great town you live in by the way...I lov the sourdough bread served at the old lumber restaurant!!
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
What color Watco did you use - it looks very nice......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
What color Watco did you use - it looks very nice......

Ken J.
I went with the "Natural" I didn't want to darken things any - I know how mahogany can absorb all the light from a room when it's too dark. As it is, the Mahogany drank up the oil and it definately started to bring out that rich red charactoristic indicative of that wood. It's hard to stay away from the trailer, I find myself (or should I say, my wife finds me) in there almost every day.

I really do need to get started on my truck. I have a cab, and a 1989 Suburban front-end sitting in my shop waiting for me to dig in! I'm doing a front disc brake conversion and I'm upgrading my power assisted steering to real power steering with a hydraulic steering box. Everything else is staying pretty much stock for the period look. I'm installing a gear splitter behind the factory turbo 400 automatic transmision along with 4.10 gears in the differential to give me some much needed gas milage. Next year if things go well for us financially, I'll be converting the ol' 66 over to multi-port fuel injection and AC!!!!.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilandr451
Anyone have any ideas where I can find 6" thick cushion foam? I would like to re-stuff the devan cushions they're hard and disintegraiting.
Try this:

www.knoxfoam.com

They have specialty foam, cut to size, free shipping.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Congrats! You is livin' large! That is a major score and a beauty to boot.
Would you touch my lotto ticket for me?
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
I went with the "Natural" I didn't want to darken things any - I know how mahogany can absorb all the light from a room when it's too dark. As it is, the Mahogany drank up the oil and it definately started to bring out that rich red charactoristic indicative of that wood. It's hard to stay away from the trailer, I find myself (or should I say, my wife finds me) in there almost every day.

I really do need to get started on my truck. I have a cab, and a 1989 Suburban front-end sitting in my shop waiting for me to dig in! I'm doing a front disc brake conversion and I'm upgrading my power assisted steering to real power steering with a hydraulic steering box. Everything else is staying pretty much stock for the period look. I'm installing a gear splitter behind the factory turbo 400 automatic transmision along with 4.10 gears in the differential to give me some much needed gas milage. Next year if things go well for us financially, I'll be converting the ol' 66 over to multi-port fuel injection and AC!!!!.
I know on the 67-72 body style that the front saddle with all the suspension and brakes is about a bolt in. I had a 70 Sub I was going to restore and I had a 77 saddle and suspension I was going to put in it. I would have only had to drill 2 more holes. The rest lined up.

The 87-89 454 TBI has a spread bore base and should bolt in place of the shock quad. I know its not MPI but is good bang for the buck. I have one of these set ups that I will probably drop on my 70 Lemans. http://www.customefis.com/ can custom taylor a chip.

Do you ever got to http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/ I hang there on occasion. I go by Grim Reaper there LOL. Lots of good tech and they do have a foum for your year.

Great find on the coach. It looks like your going to have it back to near perfect in a very short time.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #15
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Hilandr451,

What a great find. That looks as good or better than the '65 Safari I found 6 blocks from my house, after searching the country for an ALL ORIGINAL unit. I am extreamly particular to originality. That's just me.

I urge you to consider NOT covering the floor with anything permanent, such as 'laminated wood flooring'. It is so difficult and will soon be near impossible to find an ALL ORIGINAL coach.

I used a triple breathing filter and block sanded (#65 - #220)my original floor tiles, then (using a varnish sponge brush) laid on Future Floor Wax. The tiles came near white after sanding and ended up with a great shine.

Throw rugs will contain most of the camping soil and can shake out, the same if you had a wood floor. Any (real) wood floor can't take wet anyway.

Re-Consider ... ? Think it through ... Every car or truck I have restored over 20 years always brought more upon sale because it was all original. I personally feel that this will be true of vintage coaches in the future when the values skyrocket over the next decade.

Good luck with your new acquisition, it is a beauty.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #16
Hilandr451

1965 26' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
The 87-89 454 TBI has a spread bore base and should bolt in place of the shock quad. I know its not MPI but is good bang for the buck. I have one of these set ups that I will probably drop on my 70 Lemans. http://www.customefis.com/ can custom taylor a chip.
I'm considering this since the parts are almost all available from the bone yards - (save the after market RV prom chip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Do you ever got to http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/ I hang there on occasion. I go by Grim Reaper there LOL. Lots of good tech and they do have a foum for your year.
Thanks for the invite! I'll have to check it out! Maybe you can come see the site where I hang out - I've been a member of http://www.chevytalk.com/ for almost 5 years. Amongst the many forums offered, the truck forums are also broken down into body styles: tri-fives, 60-66, 67-72, etc. I've never found a more informative free non-vendor sponsored site for Chevy enthusiasts. I go by the same handle as here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
I urge you to consider NOT covering the floor with anything permanent, such as 'laminated wood flooring'.
I agree whole-heartedly that's why I'm going with a laminate wood floor solution. I can install a "floating" wood floor system (comparable to Purgo)right over the original without disturbing the OEM tiles. That way if I decide to sell (not likely) or want to show it, I can remove the flooring and replace it at any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Great town you live in by the way...I lov the sourdough bread served at the old lumber restaurant!!
Vern
I've only lived here for 6 years, where's this "Old Lumber Restaurant?" Was it part of the old NutTree complex? They tore the whole place down last year. I guess they're going to build new complex with shops restaurants & rides based on the theme of the historical site.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
WBCCI Numbers

Quote:
We are the 4th owners. I wonder if we can resume the original Caravan number when the second owners joined the WBCC?
Great find on this trailer. As for your WBCCI numbers you can contact your local or regional WBCCI President and they should have a guide listing all of the current numbers. If the past owner does not have the number, it may be available for you to take once you join. Good luck and hope to see you on down the road.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags